Idris Elba discusses difficulties of being the first black James Bond

snoop1130

15 hours ago, ballpoint said:

Given that in the past there have been Scottish and Irish Bonds, at least he's English.

Don't forget the Welshman - Dalton came from Colwyn Bay.

I think Idris would make a great Bond.

19 hours ago, quandow said:

Fer cryin' out loud - what next? A lesbian Martian paraplegic 007?

A one legged coloured lesbian from Tower Hamlets please  ????, most living there are aliens to start with. What next a political correct gay James Bond whose only weapon is his handbag ?  Time to stop watching movies I think until the next "great extinction event" pops the world back to it's correct axis.

Isnt Bond all too predictable and boring nowadays anyway ? I mean, you get world threat, find out who, use tech gadgets, enter good looking chick, track down mr.big, have the odd fight, car chase, blow shit up and baddies demise. Bond gets laid. Did I miss anything ?

Boring predictable rubbish.

Edited by The Cobra
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, The Cobra said:

Isnt Bond all too predictable and boring nowadays anyway ? I mean, you get world threat, find out who, use tech gadgets, enter good looking chick, track down mr.big, have the odd fight, car chase, blow shit up and baddies demise. Bond gets laid. Did I miss anything ?

Agreed and I'd add a lack of any decent dialogue which was often a key part of the early Bond movies. Acting ability is not a pre-requisite for the part as CGI has taken over.

21 hours ago, quandow said:

Fer cryin' out loud - what next? A lesbian Martian paraplegic 007?

Now imagine if Tom Hardy or George Clooney were to play Mandela. Would anyone remark on the color of their skin?

Bond was written as a white hetrosexual male. Let's keep it that way!

2 hours ago, The Cobra said:

All the recent ones with Daniel Craig have still be enormously entertaining though.

You don't go to a fair ground to study the dynamics, physics and engineering behind all the rides ................ do you??

• Like 1

2 hours ago, The Cobra said:

That's basically the script of any good action movie - two hours of escapism.

1 hour ago, Baerboxer said:

Now imagine if Tom Hardy or George Clooney were to play Mandela. Would anyone remark on the color of their skin?

Bond was written as a white hetrosexual male. Let's keep it that way!

Is there any doubt about the positive correlation between those concerned about the skin colour and support for the current political regime in Thailand?

BTW - James Bond is fictional, Mandela is not.

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/26-times-white-actors-played-people-of-color-and-no-one-really-gave-a-sht_n_56cf57e2e4b0bf0dab313ffc

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Stocky said:

Don't forget the Welshman - Dalton came from Colwyn Bay.

I think Idris would make a great Bond.

and he should have stayed there and spared us his bad James Bond impression. 

Idris would make a terrible Bond, not because he's Black, but because he can't act. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Bang Bang said:

Fleming's Bond was a suave white heterosexual man. Let's keep him that way.

Incidentally, I don't like the current incarnation Craig either. He's a very fine actor but one bad night's sleep from ugly. When Connery walked into a place he looked like he owned it, Craig seems like he's looking for the men's room.

Henry Cavill's been touted. He's got the looks but can't act his way out of a paper bag. And campy as those 007 movies are Bond has to carry them all the way - man has to be able to act.

I would vote for Luke Evans. Seen him in only one movie Beauty and the Beast but man's not only Bondesque handsome but got the acting chops as well.

I think Danny Daveto would make a fine Bond. They would never believe he was a spy. 

44 minutes ago, khaowong1 said:

Exactly.  Hollywood is so far out there on the left, next thing will be a black Superman. 

And exactly why can't Superman be black?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, khaowong1 said:

Exactly.  Hollywood is so far out there on the left, next thing will be a black Superman. 

As Superman was an alien, he could be any colour you fancy, green, blue, violet, puce and yes, even black. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Mansell said:

There are probably agents in MI6 that are black but they must be limited in what countries they can work in.

I asked a South African friend of mine once if he could tell a man's tribe just by looking at him. He said "No but I can tell if a guy is Nigerian"

So sadly you theory might not work either.

There is a scene in Imitation game where Mark Strong is asked what dept. he is. He says "MI6"

One of the other in the room says "There is no such thing as MI6" to which Strong replies "That's the spirit"

Edited by VocalNeal
spelling

On 6/30/2019 at 1:48 AM, Pique Dard said:

i've read most of the comments about this article, and i've realized trump will win the second mandate. i'll be really surprised if he doesn't

top marks for shoe horning trump into a James Bond thread.

I think he'd be a good Bond, but at the same time there's really no reason to mix things up and change the character's race just to be trendy.

It's funny how people comment that having a white actor play a real black person (eg. MLK) wouldn't fly, when Bond is a fictional character instead.  It's like when those comic book fans get upset because a character is too powerful / not powerful enough in a movie; it's just fiction.

The idea that white actors have successfully played minorities had worked, in the past.  In The Lone Ranger and Ghost in the Shell it was a main reason that the movies failed.  Times have changed.