Depositing 800k in bank for visa

2 hours ago, Mister T said:

I got an email from ANZ months ago telling me that amounts 10k and over were fee free transfers.

AFAIK $10,000 is the max I can transfer online at one time and there is a $27 (I'm wrong, it's actually $24) fee for that. Maybe if you transfer the money in person from a bank in Australia you can transfer more. BTW, those "free" transfers are only if you transfer in the receiving country's currency, and do you know what a rip-off that is?

Edited by giddyup

5 hours ago, giddyup said:

$1000 in fees to transfer $40,000? I transfer $10,000 regularly for living expenses, the ANZ charges me $27 for that, so four times as much shouldn't be more than $100 max. So where do you get $1000?

If I TT $40k to SCB they will give me an exchange rate of 21.03. If I take $40k cash to Super Rich I will get an exchange rate of 21.4. Taking cash to Super Rich rather than TT to SCB will save me 14,800 baht. This is a saving of $691.59AUD, not $1,000 as I initially stated. I used tonight's exchange rates published online.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, OzMan said:

If I TT $40k to SCB they will give me an exchange rate of 21.03. If I take $40k cash to Super Rich I will get an exchange rate of 21.4. Taking cash to Super Rich rather than TT to SCB will save me 14,800 baht. This is a saving of $691.59AUD, not $1,000 as I initially stated. I used tonight's exchange rates published online.

Ozman...as I have stated few times in this thread. Its a no brainer... I make couple trips a yr to au. Brief visits. The bonus is I bring back 35k aud each time and visit superrich green. Know all about transferwise,  OFX etc and the clown banks. 

Show me the green!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

That's exactly what I do. When you say retirement visa do you O-A? If so the money can remain in au bank. If non O visa based on retirement..that is a 90 day visa and you apply for you 12 month extension based on retirement. If non o is applied for outside of Thailand no need to show where money came from. If a conversion from say a tourist visa to non o is done inside los you will need to show money came from abroad.

You don't need to show where it came from here either, the 800 k balance is all they look at. It's bureaucratic horror stories like that which have made this change worse than it needed to be.

23 hours ago, Pilotman said:

If you can possibly put off doing that now, it would be very sensible.  The baht is unrealistically strong and any transfer from another country is going to result in the lowest rate for many years.  Wait a while if you can until and if the rate improves in the shorter term. 

maybe open up a ozzy dollar account for the visa money 

• Like 2

You'll need to make a currency declaration departing Australia and arriving in Thailand (or any other country you pass through) if bringing cash. Failure to declare risks total loss and criminal prosecution if caught. Be aware, they may insist on counting it. There's much better ways to send money from Australia without the ridiculous bank fees and at much better than bank rates.
You might also have trouble changing and attempting to deposit such an amount in cash.

55 minutes ago, Yme said:

You'll need to make a currency declaration departing Australia and arriving in Thailand (or any other country you pass through) if bringing cash. Failure to declare risks total loss and criminal prosecution if caught. Be aware, they may insist on counting it. There's much better ways to send money from Australia without the ridiculous bank fees and at much better than bank rates.
You might also have trouble changing and attempting to deposit such an amount in cash.

First of all the dec from au has no consequence. Its not forwarded to ATO etc. Since changes at some airports like Melbourne they are now electronic and departure card on reverse side tick more than 10k aud is placed in perspex drop box. Just skip it. As for arrival to Thailand. There is no limit on foreign currency. But amounts over 20kusd must be declared. Note in another thread someone picked me up on this and stated signs at airports los stating limit 15k USD. I fly every week haven't seen them DM. In any event declare if you wish. As for trouble depositing into Thai bank, I have done 800k baht many times. Never a raised eyebrow. I take it straight from superrich green.

As "for much better ways to transfer" please outline. I have an account with OFX. Same type company as transferwise. I use them as last resort. I just did quote for 20k aud. Rate is well below superrich. 

As for banks ...well that's giving money away.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 5:33 PM, giddyup said:

AFAIK $10,000 is the max I can transfer online at one time and there is a $27 (I'm wrong, it's actually $24) fee for that. Maybe if you transfer the money in person from a bank in Australia you can transfer more. BTW, those "free" transfers are only if you transfer in the receiving country's currency, and do you know what a rip-off that is?

You can transfer by phone much more than that at the same cost.

• Like 1

On 6/29/2019 at 8:42 AM, Olmate said:

Why not get in Oz?

16 minutes ago, brianthainess said:

Err exchange rates !

I think he meant he should apply for a OA long stay visa which allows the the funds to stay in a bank in a Australian bank.