My 2cent / tuppence opinion concerning "immigration moving goal posts" and "Thai Baht strength forcing expats out"

Lupusthai

49 minutes ago, thequietman said:

Came here when you were 59 years old. So ........... you are 89 now! Wow, well done sir. ????

No.

moved to Thailand permanently in Nov. 2006 at age 59

So approx. 72.

Many visit for months and then go home. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I can remember as a kid in the states going to get gasoline with my father. It was 24 cents a gallon. 

I don't remember what proportion of my wages I spent on petrol in the 70s and 80s, but I never had an issue going on 7 hour each way journey because of fuel price. Now taking a 20 minute trip has to be necessary. 

Added to that, the <deleted> government has just added 4 cents a litre fuel tax. Hopefully they will be history in next year's election.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 6/30/2019 at 7:19 AM, cooked said:

I don't care about being relatively "poor". I care about the fact that my initially THB49 000 pension has shrunk to THB 42 000 over the last 7 years and don't fancy being forced to go back home or do all sorts of (expensive) fancy semi-legal manoeuvres to get extensions in my dotage.

When I retired I was guaranteed only one thing.      My pension rate was fixed but all other costs (mostly health) would continue to go up.

Add to that the fluctuation of currency  rates and exchange fees and you have the recipe for a continuing lower standard of living.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

I can remember as a kid in the states going to get gasoline with my father. It was 24 cents a gallon. 

I can remember when a gallon of gas and a pack of smokes both cost 26 cents.

15 hours ago, watcharacters said:

When I retired I was guaranteed only one thing.      My pension rate was fixed but all other costs (mostly health) would continue to go up.

Add to that the fluctuation of currency  rates and exchange fees and you have the recipe for a continuing lower standard of living.

i still don't get what the op is trying to tell. all normal.....

• Like 1

On ‎6‎/‎29‎/‎2019 at 5:20 PM, Lupusthai said:

I learned only German, Latin and ancient - Homer's - Greek at school.

Just wondering  -  did the knowledge of the Ancient Greek language have any practical value in your life?  Or, for that matter, the Latin? 

1 hour ago, Old Croc said:

Just wondering  -  did the knowledge of the Ancient Greek language have any practical value in your life?  Or, for that matter, the Latin? 

He probably went to a Jesuit school in Bavaria...

I had to study Latin for 3 years.

It is a boon for trying to translate Romantic languages.

It is also useful for understanding a lot of unfamiliar English words.

And you learn some history while you are doing it.

Actually kind of sorry my Christian Brother school never taught Greek.

Google Translate does any translating now but that wasn't available for decades.

So, I am happy now that I had my crazy Latin teacher ( he was fluent in 11 languages) but I think they were all a bit nuts.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

I remember my wages were 14 pounds a week.

I remember starting as a trainee chemist. 1 pound 10 shillings a week. By the time I had paid board and train travel, I had 5 shillings left to spend on myself.

I spend more than  that week's earnings on a one hour massage now.

Edited by Lacessit
  • Like 1

Latin is useful when identifying fellow rich kids who went to better prep schools.  

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, thaiboss said:

Greetings my situation i am 65  my pension 21.000 thai baht  in Thai bank now 7 million thai baht ..... how do you think i stay on untill my move to the  universe ????   

Another 28 years if you can make it on 40k/month.

• Like 1