Immigration encourages smartness

Rimmer

Just like Thailand they are more concerned about miner things than things that are important, now I understand there should be certain standards, but in a tropical country shorts and a shirt or polo shirt or t shirt should be ok, yes not swimwear or a chang vest. what you have to remember they will charge you for a free certificate of residence if you have issues with what you are there for the will tell you to use an agent, so to them a pair of shorts is more important than corruption.

If you look at the recent news stores about school teachers sexual assault, physical assault, or the rich assaulting staff in a restaurant or getting of with manslaughter after drunk driving, road rage you get a fine assaulting your wife in the street you get a fine, shoot someone because you are loosing a fight or the made you angry killing your wife and children because your wife left you.

I guess a pair of shorts in immigration is a top priority as there are no other problems in Thailand.   

• Replies 540
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.... what colour undies are permitted? Should Falang men start shaving their legs to show respect for their unhirsute Asian brothers.... ?etc. ad nauseum

Block coloured black with contrasting band and waxing will suffice

16 minutes ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm.... what colour undies are permitted? Should Falang men start shaving their legs to show respect for their unhirsute Asian brothers.... ?etc. ad nauseum

Just as long as you put some on.

Remember there is a law stating you must be wearing underwear when you're outside.

Not sure if immigration may start checking on that one though.

2 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Remember there is a law stating you must be wearing underwear when you're outside.

Oh dear, prefer not to think about the underwear of many of those I have seen entering immigration offices

8 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

I have resided in Thailand for several years and at no time was ever given any test by immigration that would identify me or anyone else as a "low life."  

Maybe it was something you said or your physical appearance that would make immigration administer such a test.  Good to hear you passed their "low life" test.  Actually, I have met a few immigration officers who would find it very difficult to pass a low life test.

As far as immigration processing your one year visa extension in 12 minutes, would indicate someone at immigration is giving you preferential treatment.  Generally, people will do special favors at immigration for monetary compensation or as a favor to someone who has a relative working in immigration.

Anyway, good for you for having the foresight to wear long pants and a white shirt to the immigration office.  I'm sure there are many posters that appreciate your advise.    

Preferential treatment?  My driver arrived earlier than scheduled so I was first in line. The Burmese got in line behind me because I was waving my cane around and looked dangerous.  

31 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Preferential treatment?  My driver arrived earlier than scheduled so I was first in line. The Burmese got in line behind me because I was waving my cane around and looked dangerous.  

Any chance of a video showing you intimidating the Burmese?

Will there be a full length film Marcusarelus Dangerous starring Nicolas Cage?

It would probably be a hit with the Thais, knowing how the lop-sided education system has indoctrinated them to hate the Burmese from when they invaded Siam centuries ago.

Wow, 31 pages on this topic. I wonder if I can give a shout out for everyone to shower every morning, wear fresh clothing, and use deodorant--whether you are heading to Immigration or not.  Does no good to look great if you smell to high heaven.  My nose and the noses of all nice-smelling long-suffering expats--and Thais--thank you!  And, now back to your regular programming.

On 7/1/2019 at 7:10 AM, connda said:

There's a lesson there.

Yeah the lesson is they overbooked, they will choose loyalty scheme members  first and then start at gold......silver..and pleb last of all to shunt you.

On 7/1/2019 at 5:22 PM, possum1931 said:

I don't remember saying this, there has been a mixup somewhere.

It was poohy who said this, not me..

Dont blame me i was on holiday ! visiting my personal tailor

I remember a travel business saying about the punters  "They are all a bunch of ***ts " i suppose it can be applied across the board to immigration as well

5 minutes ago, newnative said:

Wow, 31 pages on this topic. I wonder if I can give a shout out for everyone to shower every morning, wear fresh clothing, and use deodorant--whether you are heading to Immigration or not.  Does no good to look great if you smell to high heaven.  My nose and the noses of all nice-smelling long-suffering expats--and Thais--thank you!  And, now back to your regular programming.

Once a  month  whether needed or not I go to  shower, every other month i turn the shower on.

21 hours ago, Kim J said:

Personally I always conduct myself in a polite manner where ever I am. However I have constantly seen over the years where foreigners are expected to fully respect 'Thai culture', but if Thai people expect special respect from their foreign guests I feel it is time for them to start leading by example and set the bar that they expect others to attain.

Well said.

Most of the time I start off with respectfulness and being polite.  By the end I just leave shaking my head.   

As a long time observer, it's almost a sham.

21 hours ago, Kim J said:

Thai people need to get their own house in order first and start showing respect to others rather than just sitting demanding special respect from foreigners for this mythical 'Thai culture' that most likely died out decades ago

On so many levels.  Observational blindness everywhere.  

Last week I went to a funeral.  Table of drunk thai men acting stupid, loud and showing no respect to the family.   

13 hours ago, KittenKong said:

Any business or government organisation that doesnt grasp that simple fact is a bit daft to say the least. If they want me to stay here and spend my money here then they need to bend themselves to my requirements, not try to bend me to theirs. I am not married to Thailand by any stretch of the imagination.

If Thailand wants to grow and develop into a cross cultural country they have to adapt and show equal respect to other cultures.   

I am willing to view it from a distance and not disrespect it, but I am not interested in getting involved with it.  

Let's be clear.  I dress down so I am not a target for theft or double pricing.    

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Any chance of a video showing you intimidating the Burmese?

Will there be a full length film Marcusarelus Dangerous starring Nicolas Cage?

It would probably be a hit with the Thais, knowing how the lop-sided education system has indoctrinated them to hate the Burmese from when they invaded Siam centuries ago.

I was thinking of a statue. I'll enclose a photo below of my outfit and staff to guide you when you next go to Immigration.  You can see me with my cane raised above my head.  

me.jpg

26 minutes ago, Nowisee said:

If Thailand wants to grow and develop into a cross cultural country they have to adapt and show equal respect to other cultures.   

I am willing to view it from a distance and not disrespect it, but I am not interested in getting involved with it.   

Why would Thailand want to grow into a cross cultural country?  Everything the from the education system to the popular TV shows emphasize maintaining Thai culture and denigrating other cultures.  

14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The civil servants serving my perpetual tourist arse should wear their uniforms and go yes sir right away sir oui bwana. Ugh.

They're servants of the State, not your personal servants

3 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I was thinking of a statue. I'll enclose a photo below of my outfit and staff to guide you when you next go to Immigration.  You can see me with my cane raised above my head.  

me.jpg

No wonder you were first in the queue.

9 minutes ago, ThaiBunny said:
14 hours ago, DrTuner said:

The civil servants serving my perpetual tourist arse should wear their uniforms and go yes sir right away sir oui bwana. Ugh.

They're servants of the State, not your personal servants

So that's where I've been going wrong.

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Why would Thailand want to grow into a cross cultural country?  Everything the from the education system to the popular TV shows emphasize maintaining Thai culture and denigrating other cultures.  

Thailand will be a developing country (third world) until the end of time.  Seldom do Thais lucky enough to move to a western country ever return to Thailand to live, and they aren't burdened with nonsensical 90 day reporting, TM forms, and repetitive yearly treks to an ever increasing restrictive immigration office.  Thais just can't say what they think without reprisals or have decent career choices to look forward to.  

I suspect in the near future, due to political instability, life for most Thais are going to become more difficult and for westerners who didn't leave, unbearable.  Even your connection at immigration won't be able to help you.

2 minutes ago, NanLaew said:

At immigration, tax, land and transport offices, including Pattaya/Jomtien, I see MOST Thais wearing long pants.

Great. As long as only most and not all of them do, I wont feel at all unusual.

4 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I like the ladies to have easy access so i will be a law breaker. 

14 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

Nope.  1.  I entered on a long stay visa for the purpose of retirement.  2.  I entered Thailand and was checked by Thai Immigration to make sure I was not a low life.  3.  I go to an Immigration office once a year to make sure I'm not a low life and am allowed to retire here one more year.  4.  I don't have to pay tea money because I wear long pants and white shirt to Immigration office (my opinion). I spent 12 minutes total at Immigration last year.  ????  The first time I came to Thailand I worked for and with the Thai army and was not a tourist.  

That "long stay visa" is just a temporary permit with the same rules as the visa waiver tourist coming to Thailand for the first time. Don't kid yourself, it's the long term tourist permit no matter how the Thais sugar coat it.

I'm interested in that low life test they do. Did they check the fabric on your suit?

That "long stay visa" is just a temporary permit with the same rules as the visa waiver tourist coming to Thailand for the first time. Don't kid yourself, it's the long term tourist permit no matter how the Thais sugar coat it.

I'm interested in that low life test they do. Did they check the fabric on your suit?

Probably a nice bit of Bri- Nylon.
[emoji4]

Sent from my SM-G920F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, DrTuner said:

They ask if you are a tourist or long stay retired person.  If you say tourist they boot you.  

4 hours ago, CMNightRider said:

Thailand will be a developing country (third world) until the end of time.  Seldom do Thais lucky enough to move to a western country ever return to Thailand to live, and they aren't burdened with nonsensical 90 day reporting, TM forms, and repetitive yearly treks to an ever increasing restrictive immigration office.  Thais just can't say what they think without reprisals or have decent career choices to look forward to.  

I suspect in the near future, due to political instability, life for most Thais are going to become more difficult and for westerners who didn't leave, unbearable.  Even your connection at immigration won't be able to help you.

All of the Thais I know, make some cash and come back to Thailand to escape the American IRS and crazy political system and all the other nutty things that are the reason so many Americans retire to Thailand.  Last year I spent 12 minutes at Immigration.  I won't bore you with how many hours the IRS and other bureaucratic nonsense cost me in America.  

Archived