Tougher immigration rules sees large number of Nordic expats leave Thailand

webfact

16 minutes ago, chainarong said:

At the end of the day the blame lies squarely on the shoulders of Thailand's leader, if Prayut isn't going to intervene in the shambles that the immigration department has got itself into then that's a indication that Prayut himself supports the current arrangement, surely he would know by now that Thailand's wonderful tourist industry is being slowly destroyed by the immigration departments uncompromising  stupidness.

Do you really think that the little general knows or even cares about a few extra farangs leaving the country or not arriving, he has more important interests at hand, submarines, tanks, and trains, etc. and the lunch boxes associated with these very important endeavours. 

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I am a bit confused comparing full year date to 6 months of 2019, unless they are comparing like periods....which still makes little sense. 

Statistically insignificant.

Hard to correlate visa rules exclusively as the reason people are leaving Thailand. 

Weak journalism. Fail. Please try harder.

15 minutes ago, NCC1701A said:

soon I will be the only person at immigration.

and I will be very nicely dressed.

No you won't, I be there as well, also appropriately dressed and polite with the necessary documentation ????

50 minutes ago, bluesea said:

If your not treated as an Equal ,Well you would have to think twice wouldn't you.

Maybe the Powers to be might just take some notice on why and who are leaving and not coming back to thailand.

I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for them to notice anything. Those in power don't give a rat's ar$e, nor do they need to. They are all set up for life, irrespective of whether there are foreigners or no foreigners in Thailand. 

But the 'good news' is the Indians are coming by the plane load! and Koreans have found that pretending to be an ex-Kpop star, they can have a girl friend and 'Throw' her out when they get bored with them! Nordic's must be moving on to where the beer is cheaper!

36 minutes ago, chainarong said:

Prayut himself supports the current arrangement, surely he would know by now that Thailand's wonderful tourist industry is being slowly destroyed by the immigration departments uncompromising  stupidness.

Tourists come on 30 day exempt and have nothing to do with immigration. 

I expect it is mostly because Thailand Visa are money-regulated as the only in SE Asia. Nobody have an income for a retirement visa anymore. Cambodia you pay just 125 USD, and you have 5 years. Laos you pay 150 USD for the same, and Philipines about the same, and Thailand you need to have 65000 Baht per month. That make a huge difference for a lot of people who only have their home countrys OAP. One huge mistake from Thailand.

1 hour ago, Thaiwrath said:

I've lived in the same North Eastern city for 14 years, met a lot of people, both falang and Thai, and apart from 45 years spent in my place of birth, this is the only other place I have stayed long time.

I rent, what I think is, a great, relatively cheap, condominium, superb location, near a lovely lake I walk around each morning at 5.00am for exercise. Everywhere I need to go to is on a songteaw route that is very close, including the Government Hospital, which I use regularly for physio, and I have never had any complaints with the immigration office here. I live a far better quality of life here than I would back home, and have far more friends, and acquaintances, than I do back there.

If I were to move, I would have to start the whole process over again, meeting new people (who to trust, and who not to?), registering at a new hospital, and getting familiar with it, finding my way round a new environment, and, most importantly, finding accommodation as good as the one I am in now.

At aged late fifties, I cannot see the point of leaving and starting again somewhere else, in view of the above, and would only do so if I was forced to, and I would think most people here feel the same. So I , personally, cannot see a mass exodus of expats out, unless it is financially not possible to remain here.

Same goes for me ... 26 years in Laos (Vientiane) wouldn't live anywhere else no matter what happened, BKK is but an hours flight away if required, Udon Thai and hours drive ... I agree with the above 100% .... but the reason for the Foreigners leaving Thailand, is so obvious for those of us who follow investment trends, Investment has been steadily dropping since the Military took over .... reneging of power purchases from Laos and other neighbors, (down 40%), and a mass of other related reasons, time ... give it time ... and then we'll see. The Thai Govern. know this, hence the emphasis on pushing tourism so much

Good luck to you my friend

51 minutes ago, hotchilli said:

For many reasons people may be making alternative plans.

Some are now financially unable to meet the new requirements, business visa's linked to a work permit is only short term and not transferable, the exchange rate may make other destinations more viable.

Thailand will see a change in trend, while statistics can be used to show what you like the trend is there!

Thats true, I myself am leaving (though not nordic), my reasons in order:

1) I don't think anything has improved over the last 20 years in terms of political stability and thereby equality under the law. I do not feel I have any financial nor rights protection under Thai law and its corrupt practitioners. Laws can change overnight.

2) After 20 years of waiting I still cannot buy my little piece of land

3) Cost of living is rising in Bangkok to a point its now cheaper to live in some parts of Europe and America. 

4) Immigration getting complicated and not equal to all (again comes down to law). I don't like attempting to live out my years in a place where the rules change all the time. One day they could change or be reinterpreted and I could be in trouble.

5) Thailand is not quaint or exotic anymore. It's simply not what it was.

1 hour ago, bluesofa said:

Only last week I was talking to two guys at a social meeting.

One is going back to his home country after 15 years in order to set the wheels in motion to move back permanently with his Thai wife and kids, as a direct result of the tightened Thai visa regulations and not being able to get an embassy letter to support his visa extension any more.

The second guy is very well off and has been here for a similar length of time. He's on a Non OA visa, therefore required to have medical insurance to renew it. As he's over seventy, that's not possible. He also has a family here, but is now considering moving to the Philippines.

Yes, the insurance requirement is a  racket. 

It's unfortunate that the rules continue to change, but we all know the rules... Put funds on deposit or meet the monthly. Can't fault of govt for wanting legit people (with means) and not those skirting the rules with bogus embassy letters or endless visa runs. It you can't get your visa type renewed you are probably here on sketchy terms anyways. Sorry to say.

20 minutes ago, Snuller21 said:

I expect it is mostly because Thailand Visa are money-regulated as the only in SE Asia. Nobody have an income for a retirement visa anymore. Cambodia you pay just 125 USD, and you have 5 years. Laos you pay 150 USD for the same, and Philipines about the same, and Thailand you need to have 65000 Baht per month. That make a huge difference for a lot of people who only have their home countrys OAP. One huge mistake from Thailand.

Can you please provide an official note on how you can get a 5 year visa for 150 USD in Laos ?

To my knowledge it is impossible !!! You can get a 1 year business visa, including work-permit and an Alien Lao ID card. Officially ~380 USD per year.

Through an Agent ~650 - 800++, for the same.

Laos has studied (for many years) to make a Retirement Visa for foreigners married to a Lao National, but with little progress - it will most likely take several years more, to finalize...

What did they expect was going to happen when they introduced tougher visa regulations ? Did they think

it will bring more people?

what did they expect would happen when one day your biz is totally legit and the next it’s illegal?

what did they expect would happen if you get arrested and thrown into cells for administrative problems ?

I have just renewed my yearly O but it’s my intention that this will be my last one , to many IM changes and a change in attitudes makes me feel unwelcome . I always said if you wake up on a Monday morning thinking I hate the job I am doing then it’s time to make changes and move on that’s how Thailand has become and although it’s not always greener on the other side of the fence if you don’t try it you will never know . My instinct is to move to the canary’s and give one of the smaller islands a try if it’s not what I expect then I just move onto the next island.

23 minutes ago, British Bulldog said:

Same goes for me ... 26 years in Laos (Vientiane) wouldn't live anywhere else no matter what happened, BKK is but an hours flight away if required, Udon Thai and hours drive ... I agree with the above 100% .... but the reason for the Foreigners leaving Thailand, is so obvious for those of us who follow investment trends, Investment has been steadily dropping since the Military took over .... reneging of power purchases from Laos and other neighbors, (down 40%), and a mass of other related reasons, time ... give it time ... and then we'll see. The Thai Govern. know this, hence the emphasis on pushing tourism so much

Good luck to you my friend

Older people who have attachments here are the ones least likely to leave. Been here 40 years myself and no plans to leave. Having said that I don't think Thailand is as nice a place as it used to be but then where is ? I am kind of ambivalent about Thailand now. Content to stay but wouldn't cry if I were obliged by circumstances to leave.

However, if I were young and unattached I would definitely be checking out other countries and not only in South East Asia.

2 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

There are plenty of Indians and Africans filling the void.

Nothing to see here!!

The 5 star hotels seem to be full of Indians and Chinese. Spot the white man syndrome! I would not lump Indians with Africans. Unless it’s the Mugabe type ( extremely rare!) 

The real numbers of those leaving will be more visible next year as majority of those who re-applied for their visas this year are doing it for the last time. Embassy letters collected at december are still able to be used until may this year. So maybe from May next year? A lot of people were also waiting for the Election and hopeful that a change of government would change events - That didn't happen! And if you guessed properly a few more stringent immigration laws have been introduced since february, that would further shrink the farang population.

If you are doing business here that depends on Thais and local foreigners then the Grimness of business this year so far (for small businesses) is enough reason to rethink a long term stay in Thailand as whatever light at the end of tunnel has been squashed by Godzilla. It feels hopeless! Dead Air!

One way to finally drive the number of farangs in thailand to a few hundreds would be if they continued to crack down on prostitution. In pattaya last week a bar was closed, owners deported and blacklisted, Acting boss of police and his deputies relieved of their work, all they need to do is lock up a few more bar owners and possible one or two foreigners caught paying for sex and then it's Armageddon.

Lets not forget making the insurance compulsory for all Long term stayers.

I'm in NO WAY blaming the government for it, but in my opinion, many other nationalities will think twice to run any kind of business here.

The Land of Smiles has unfortunately become the Land of Declines. 

2 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

<snip>

At aged late fifties, I cannot see the point of leaving and starting again somewhere else, in view of the above, and would only do so if I was forced to, and I would think most people here feel the same. So I , personally, cannot see a mass exodus of expats out, unless it is financially not possible to remain here.

Thanks for posting this.  For some people, relocating is no big deal However, people are more "rooted" than others. Some people have more options in considering a place to move to.  Of course, it could be argued that it is foolish to become rooted in a place as politically unstable and as hostile to foreigners as Thailand is . . . but life happens, and you are ultimately left to do the best you can with the options that you have got. However, the "Thailand, love it or leave it" mindset is narrow minded and without compassion. 

soon I will be the only person at immigration.

and I will be very nicely dressed.

No you won't, I be there as well, also appropriately dressed and polite with the necessary documentation ????

Well, I won't be there!  Just got back from a recon trip to Laos, moving back to live in Luang Prabang in the next month or so, (I lived/worked in LP in 2012/13).

2 hours ago, PatOngo said:

Well, at least ONE govt policy seems to be working! Today Nordics, next...…………?

Im just waiting for a govt official to get some balls and come out and say what they really want. And that being we dont want ANY farangs as permanents, come and spend as a tourist then when we have drained your wallet, bugger off.

Archived