Tougher immigration rules sees large number of Nordic expats leave Thailand

webfact

Just now, BritManToo said:

Just keep extending whatever VISA you have.

It isn't a problem.

Nor is it here. At least you have long term tested visas here, Vietnam has no real visa category for us, it's all pseudo business visas and co they can change tomorrow.

And the same rubbish address registration they have too: https://vietnamvisavoa.com/en/temporary-residence-registration-for-foreigners-in-vietnam-a16

And they even pull the same shit: 

In practice, however, the expat is sometimes regarded as being at fault even when culpability is not clear, leaving little option but to pay the fine. It’s to your advantage, therefore, to proactively encourage your landlord to process your registration in a timely fashion.

Land/Property ownership and co are far worse in Vietnam than it is here...Property Prices are higher for same quality. Idk why people think it's the holy grail there.

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I've lived in the same North Eastern city for 14 years, met a lot of people, both falang and Thai, and apart from 45 years spent in my place of birth, this is the only other place I have stayed long time.

I rent, what I think is, a great, relatively cheap, condominium, superb location, near a lovely lake I walk around each morning at 5.00am for exercise. Everywhere I need to go to is on a songteaw route that is very close, including the Government Hospital, which I use regularly for physio, and I have never had any complaints with the immigration office here. I live a far better quality of life here than I would back home, and have far more friends, and acquaintances, than I do back there.

If I were to move, I would have to start the whole process over again, meeting new people (who to trust, and who not to?), registering at a new hospital, and getting familiar with it, finding my way round a new environment, and, most importantly, finding accommodation as good as the one I am in now.

At aged late fifties, I cannot see the point of leaving and starting again somewhere else, in view of the above, and would only do so if I was forced to, and I would think most people here feel the same. So I , personally, cannot see a mass exodus of expats out, unless it is financially not possible to remain here.

Your last statement says it all, and I think we will see within the next few months a substantial number of expats leaving here for pastures new as the changes in income requirements/procedures will make it become "financially not possible to remain here."

2 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

42 million Brits have a passport and 223 million Americans have a passport.  

I don't think your figure is correct for Americans.  Although figures varied, the highest figure I could find was around 145 million Americans with passports.  Several sites had it around 114 million; the State Dept. pegged it at around 138 million through 2018.

10 hours ago, webfact said:

The Norwegians went down 21 O-visa renewals.

The Finns went down 11 O-visa renewals.

The Swedes went up with 37 O-visa renewals.

The Danes went down with 92 O-visa renewals – the largest drop of 14.5 percent in these categoeries.

No doubt they were all 'bad guys' and undesirables like most of us.  Good riddance.  

Hey Sweetie, want to move somewhere where 'naow' really means 'noaw? No?  Ok.  I'll send what I can when I can.  Ask my ex-immigration IO for a stipend.  I'm sure they'll take care of you and the kids."

Well I watched the Vikings series on Netflix and these chaps are not too friendly at the best of times. From what I saw, rather than shake hands, they would greet you with axe buried in your skull [emoji102]

They do dress better nowadays though [emoji41]

You're aware, of course, that "Vikings" is a Canadian-Irish drama series, with mostly actors from these countries...

Sent from my SM-J415F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

10 hours ago, webfact said:

Nordic people on retirement visa or visa related to their Thai family also declined. Last year, 3837 Nordic people renewed their O-visa during these first five months of the year. This year during the same five months, only 3788 people renewed their O-visa. The net decline was 49 people.

Well I knew 2 of them … their dead!

3 hours ago, boonrawdcnx said:

Oh yes they do!
Was planning to take my Mom while she is here for several short trips to Siem Reap later to Hong Kong and another trip to Singapore.

I have given up on the idea after reading reports that people have been stopped at BKK or DMK just because they had several consecutive Thai entry stamps in their passport!
And I will surely not expose her to some unfriendly, uncompromising person who’s unbelievably demanding job it is to put a stupid stamp in a passport and who’s mission in life seems to be to cause problems to people who just want to enjoy a vacation!
My mother deserves better than this!
So you see - also genuine tourists are affected by all the BS immigration is pulling here.

They should decide here if they want us retirees and if they want tourists or not! If yes they should start treating visitors like guests or go to hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

When I first had to visit Immigration for a visa (a few years ago now!) the Immigration Officer took me into her office, invited me to sit down and offered me a lollipop from a jar on her desk!! And got my visa within about 15 mins!

Oh happy days!

41 minutes ago, newnative said:

I don't think your figure is correct for Americans.  Although figures varied, the highest figure I could find was around 145 million Americans with passports.  Several sites had it around 114 million; the State Dept. pegged it at around 138 million through 2018.

I was figuring the illegal aliens that are coming in and getting made legal. The point was that the fellow I was quoting quoted percents for Americans instead of totals to make it seem like few Americans had passports - habit of people from little countries.  At any rate twice as many Americans have passports than Brits although a higher percentage of British hold passports.  

15 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

You're aware, of course, that "Vikings" is a Canadian-Irish drama series, with mostly actors from these countries...

Jasper Pääkkönen and Peter Franzen, two main characters are Finns. Historically inaccurate though as Finns were pretty much wildlings at the time. 

3 minutes ago, sambum said:

When I first had to visit Immigration for a visa (a few years ago now!) the Immigration Officer took me into her office, invited me to sit down and offered me a lollipop from a jar on her desk!! And got my visa within about 15 mins!

Oh happy days!

What flavour was the lollipop?

I moved here 20 years ago with no money at all. Got the retirement extension. Started a small business with my Thai friend, barely making $700.00 monthly income. Immigrations rules were so easy that I knew that some day it will change, and saved 200 THB every month just believing that it will be useful in long term. Now, at 70, I have the $25,000 US to show, better income, and a Thai health insurance that it will be good for more 10 years. I met people making 3 times more, for long time, and now cannot put together the docs to get approved for the retirement extension.

Thailand it is a very good country to retire with some planning. I do not have doubts about.

8 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

As far as being "myopic" in my thinking, I, personally only know of 2 departees, both of whom were fabricating letters for the Embassy, so were no longer eligible.

There's a lot more people doing this than you might realise.

Once they're all gone it's going to be empty.

11 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

The "land of the Free" is not very free any longer, feels like living in a police state now. I have left for Malaysia and only plan to come back during short periods to visit old friends (If I can get trough the hostile immigration officials at Bangkok airports)  

Complaining Thailand is not the land of the free anymore. *starts living in a country with mostly muslims*

11 hours ago, ExpatPH said:

Scandinavian retirees use to have a good pension above average, compared with many other countries. But nordic currencies has also taken a hit last years.

Denmarks currency has been strong for years, compared with their neighbours, so why so many Danes leaving?

This article came from a nordic online news site, without comparing to other nationalities, so not much of value to compare with.

It's a growing trend of leaving los, due to very poor exchange rate, increased cost of living in Thailand (last weeks news), immigration, denied at airport. Downward trend indeed. 

Not the same fun in los, as it used to be, and value for money is only a memory.

The reason is that the Danish State takes and cuts 50% of the pension when Danes move from Denmark.

18 minutes ago, Jo3200 said:

Complaining Thailand is not the land of the free anymore. *starts living in a country with mostly muslims*

Even if the majority of the Malay population is Muslim I have been treated very well here, the immigration are friendly and often says; Welcome to Malaysia, never been harassed by the traffic police to pay fines for speeding or driving in the "wrong lane" and Penang is a great city to live in. No bullshit 90 day reporting or TM 30 and the visa is free to visit the country for 90 days for Scandinavian citizen.

1 hour ago, marcusarelus said:

I was figuring the illegal aliens that are coming in and getting made legal. The point was that the fellow I was quoting quoted percents for Americans instead of totals to make it seem like few Americans had passports - habit of people from little countries.  At any rate twice as many Americans have passports than Brits although a higher percentage of British hold passports.  

I think it is still only around 46% for Americans with passports, but the figure has been rising as more countries are requiring passports.  Surprisingly, as recently as 2003 only 20% held passports.

7 hours ago, yogi100 said:

What about the dismal exchange rates.

What about them? Nothing to do with the premise of the article "Tougher immigration rules...".

6 hours ago, Icedoctor said:

Well I am one of the Danes back in Denmark. Even though I have a very good pension well over 150.000 baht monthly, due to new policy about income letters I cannot stay. I dont want to put a lot of money in a Thai bank.

You could easily have stayed YOU chose not to.

5 hours ago, yogi100 said:

Many of us have substantial saving in our own countries but for various reasons will not put it in a Thai bank.

See above.

3 hours ago, Nielsk said:

....has that happen after the new rules ?

I certainly hope not! ... going rate is 12.5 - 15 K ???? Oh, wait, first time is up around that figure then cheaper subsequently.

2 hours ago, robsamui said:

Now retired, I faced the choice: stay where I am and struggle financially, or move away and live comfortably.  I've now relocated to Vietnam because of the changes in Thai immigration laws. I am 71.

Not sure why the recent changes would make you struggle financially? The bad exchange rate yes, but that's nothing to do with immigration.

----

Personally I have a lot of empathy for those that have had to/will have to move on but none whatsoever with all the complaining given the changes have been fairly minor. Bottom line; either those people don't have the wherewithal due to the crap exchange rate (in which case did they plan correctly when moving to Thailand?) or they never had it in the first place.

12 hours ago, Artisi said:

Do you really think that the little general knows or even cares about a few extra farangs leaving the country or not arriving, he has more important interests at hand, submarines, tanks, and trains, etc. and the lunch boxes associated with these very important endeavours. 

I'm sure the brown envelopes are much more interesting than the lunch boxes !

4 minutes ago, trainman34014 said:

I'm sure the brown envelopes are much more interesting than the lunch boxes !

The judge/s who received a lunch box each from an ex PM thought they outweighed and were definitely more interesting than any envelope. 

1 hour ago, nasa123 said:

The reason is that the Danish State takes and cuts 50% of the pension when Danes move from Denmark.

UK , Goverment should follow this fine example.

Traitors to their home country , should be on less UK pensions .

14 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I've lived in the same North Eastern city for 14 years, met a lot of people, both falang and Thai, and apart from 45 years spent in my place of birth, this is the only other place I have stayed long time.

I rent, what I think is, a great, relatively cheap, condominium, superb location, near a lovely lake I walk around each morning at 5.00am for exercise. Everywhere I need to go to is on a songteaw route that is very close, including the Government Hospital, which I use regularly for physio, and I have never had any complaints with the immigration office here. I live a far better quality of life here than I would back home, and have far more friends, and acquaintances, than I do back there.

If I were to move, I would have to start the whole process over again, meeting new people (who to trust, and who not to?), registering at a new hospital, and getting familiar with it, finding my way round a new environment, and, most importantly, finding accommodation as good as the one I am in now.

At aged late fifties, I cannot see the point of leaving and starting again somewhere else, in view of the above, and would only do so if I was forced to, and I would think most people here feel the same. So I , personally, cannot see a mass exodus of expats out, unless it is financially not possible to remain here.

Agree! Many foreigners here just need something more to bitch about those damn Thais and the government.

31 minutes ago, elliss said:

UK , Goverment should follow this fine example.

Traitors to their home country , should be on less UK pensions .

Yeah rape your own citizens after 40 years of work when they dare to travel the world, way to go - glad i never paid a cent into the pension scam system.

2 hours ago, nasa123 said:

They knew that when they moved here, so what´s the problem?

The whole article and headline is misleading, it has nothing to do with "tougher Immigration rules" - but everything to do with a strong THB and weak European currencies.

I get 13K THB  less pr. month now when I transfer my pension, compared to a few years ago, so the Danes living on the low old peoples pension only, minus tax, will have a hard time.

I'm a bit puzzled by the figures. They don't allow for all those who jumped off balconies and therefore never left Thailand or renewed their visas. The way Immigration are going, when a farang flies off a balcony they will check his TM30 before they check if he's still alive....... Yep, left his residence (via the balcony) and didn't file a TM30. ........ Damn, this ones on overstay but we can't fine him cuz he's dead.

Then of course there are the ones whose visa status is unknown as they were found to carry no papers, stoned out of their mind, walking naked around Pattaya. Ooops, not suitably dressed for Immigration.

The figures also fail to take into account those still stuck waiting at CW Immigration.

Well, did you expect me to take this looney toon country seriously?

Archived