Tougher immigration rules sees large number of Nordic expats leave Thailand

webfact

Just now, johng50 said:

Im just waiting for a govt official to get some balls and come out and say what they really want. And that being we dont want ANY farangs as permanents, come and spend as a tourist then when we have drained your wallet, bugger off.

Except that in a democracy (which Thailand is, isn't it?) the role of government officials is to implement policy. Making policy is the role of the elected government

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Nowisee said:

It sounds like you're trapped here emotionally and short changing yourself at your age.  
I certainly do not feel this way, so I will exclude myself from your "most people".
You and some others are myopic in your thinking people complaining and moving is because they can't afford it.   

I am not trapped here at all.

I started travelling at 31, all my holidays were different destinations (I wasn't a 2 week Benidorm man), seen practically everything I wanted to see, (including climbing Ayers Rock), because I knew when my state pension would be availabe (at 66), I wouldn't have the same get up and go I had then.

I came here because I bought a business, and when I sold it 5 years ago, I sat down and looked at all the possible places I could move to. I then realised that where I was had everything I wanted, and knew I was only a short flight away from most other Asian destinations for a holiday (of which I have had several).

As far as being "myopic" in my thinking, I, personally only know of 2 departees, both of whom were fabricating letters for the Embassy, so were no longer eligible.

I expect them to join the others on here, who returned home, and post drivel about how good it is back home, to try and convince themselves, and themselves only, that they made the right decision to leave.  

42 minutes ago, Brickbat said:

The 5 star hotels seem to be full of Indians and Chinese. Spot the white man syndrome! I would not lump Indians with Africans. Unless it’s the Mugabe type ( extremely rare!) 

No , the Mugabe type is better well done.

3 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

There are plenty of Indians and Africans filling the void.

Nothing to see here!!

Don't forget the quality Chinese tourist.  Thailand will need 100,000's of these to make up for lost incomes.

As everybody knows. Thai never talk straight. Often do some actions behind the back. You can not deny. It is their way, to get a result not losing their face.

What Thai government official (mostly men) want, to disgust foreign men out of Thailand. If you think logical, it makes totally sense.

I hope they get sometimes everythink returned. Some international law suits in case of severe discrimination would do.

as a matter of fact, all these treatments, arresting, Inhuman treatment of prisoners out be brought to international attention.

It would be good, when the foreign Embassies would show more balls and do some travel warning on their homepages.

3 hours ago, KiChakayan said:

The numbers provided are statistically insignificant...Bad journalism.

YEP!  Your right!  Expats are moving here in the millions because Thailand offers what no other country in the world: safest roads, kindest people, amazing exchange rates, NO smog, cleanest beaches, and wait for it....BEST and most  leaniant Immigration ever.  

2 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

As far as being "myopic" in my thinking, I, personally only know of 2 departees, both of whom were fabricating letters for the Embassy, so were no longer eligible.

I expect them to join the others on here,

Yep Thats the hard core truth but not a single person will admit it instead jumping on the blame game train with the rest of the losers. I pity long term Vietnam expats for the influx of Thailand's rejects..Im pretty sure the whole of soi Buakhao will end up in Saigon lol...lucky lucky Vietnam

4 minutes ago, Thaiwrath said:

I am not trapped here at all.

I started travelling at 31, all my holidays were different destinations (I wasn't a 2 week Benidorm man), seen practically everything I wanted to see, (including climbing Ayers Rock), because I knew when my state pension would be availabe (at 66), I wouldn't have the same get up and go I had then.

I came here because I bought a business, and when I sold it 5 years ago, I sat down and looked at all the possible places I could move to. I then realised that where I was had everything I wanted, and knew I was only a short flight away from most other Asian destinations for a holiday (of which I have had several).

I expect them to join the others on here, who returned home, and post drivel about how good it is back home, to try and convince themselves, and themselves only, that they made the right decision to leave.  

Same same, albeit different life circumstances and me being younger.

I looked at everything and despite spending more time in europe during the summer (Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece) - i didn't find anything "better" to live really.

Even europe is a bit less attractive right now for me due to the heatwave, it's worse than thailand at the moment.

SEA - there's no good longstay options in the countries that are on thailands level. Korea and Japan i visited often but wouldn't want to life there, it reminds me too much of germany. Laos and Co - no thanks. Vietnam has no longstay visa options at all...

HK and Taiwan are in Chinas claws and have a really uncertain future, Singapore made it too damn hard to get permanent residency the last years and has no pay-as-you-go visa option.

I spend a lot of time in New York before, but since Trump i don't really feel like i want to anymore.

Latin America doesn't interest me, i can't explain why.

Most people i know that did visa runs, all < under 50 year olds, switched to elite visas, the money didn't seem to be an issue for them.

3 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Nothing to see here!!

I reckon the Thai thinking would be that the Baht of Indian, Chinese, African people is just as good as the Baht of farang.

Another thing being, for someone who's from China or India, Thailand isn't a long-haul destination, less money spent on flights means potentially more spent in-country? Probably 2 -3 billion people within a 5 hour flight of Thailand.

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

I've lived in the same North Eastern city for 14 years, met a lot of people, both falang and Thai, and apart from 45 years spent in my place of birth, this is the only other place I have stayed long time.

I rent, what I think is, a great, relatively cheap, condominium, superb location, near a lovely lake I walk around each morning at 5.00am for exercise. Everywhere I need to go to is on a songteaw route that is very close, including the Government Hospital, which I use regularly for physio, and I have never had any complaints with the immigration office here. I live a far better quality of life here than I would back home, and have far more friends, and acquaintances, than I do back there.

If I were to move, I would have to start the whole process over again, meeting new people (who to trust, and who not to?), registering at a new hospital, and getting familiar with it, finding my way round a new environment, and, most importantly, finding accommodation as good as the one I am in now.

At aged late fifties, I cannot see the point of leaving and starting again somewhere else, in view of the above, and would only do so if I was forced to, and I would think most people here feel the same. So I , personally, cannot see a mass exodus of expats out, unless it is financially not possible to remain here.

What are your worries your only in your fifties  I was your age when first started traveling the world. That's 20 years back

4 minutes ago, Percy P said:

What are your worries your only in your fifties  I was your age when first started traveling the world. That's 20 years back

He has no real worries, he just thinks there's no better option for him that would be worth the hassle - which i tend to agree to.

2 hours ago, HiSoLowSoNoSo said:

The "land of the Free" is not very free any longer, feels like living in a police state now. I have left for Malaysia and only plan to come back during short periods to visit old friends (If I can get trough the hostile immigration officials at Bangkok airports)  

Is "land of the Free" you refer to the USA or the Land of Smiles?

3 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

So I , personally, cannot see a mass exodus of expats out, unless it is financially not possible to remain here.

I tend to think it is usually the other way around

financially not possible to leave

Because if you cannot afford Thailand you cannot afford most anywhere else

1 hour ago, FredGallaher said:

Some of those on limited budgets will be effected most. If your contribution is to warm a bar stool you wont be missed. 

The bar owner will miss them? No?

2 hours ago, Salerno said:

How? Other than a slight delay at Swampy recently what exactly affects tourists? They come, they have, fun they go home ... as has always been the case for tourists.

What about the dismal exchange rates.

Some of my friends who are regular visitors to the LOS have already said they're going to seek more affordable destinations.

While those who visit long term are no longer willing to abide by the increasingly strict visa regulations. As an example the difficulties in obtaining their usual METVs is going to present a major obstacle.

When the comparatively wealthy Scandinavians flee the nest something's wrong somewhere!

...I commend them on showing interest in their people...

...not seen or heard of any others giving a hoot about us....

...am sure they would know how many...if any of their population segment ....would have been scammed by a Thai wife...or died under suspicious circumstances...

...anyone else....???

...doubt it... correct me if I am wrong...

...would like to see such stats from the past 10-20 years.....

...people that paid with their sweat and toil....now mostly retired...

....to have been discarded after their 'utility' was used up...to fend for themselves..

....with little or no recourse anyway...these proactive actions mentioned above might have to be considered...

4 hours ago, Denim said:

A trend that seems likely to continue and not just Scandinavians.

Every person I know here has either already left, is in the process of leaving, or is researching where to go. All of them have been here 10+ years. This is also my last year. 

Well I am one of the Danes back in Denmark. Even though I have a very good pension well over 150.000 baht monthly , due to new policy about income letters I cannot stay. I dont want to put a lot of money in a Thai bank.

Furthermore my embassy denied visa for my Thai gf so now I am in Denmark and she is left behind.

Yes, I am grateful to the Danish embassy for tresting me this way NOT

52 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

Same same, albeit different life circumstances and me being younger.

I looked at everything and despite spending more time in europe during the summer (Portugal, Spain, Italy, Greece) - i didn't find anything "better" to live really.

Even europe is a bit less attractive right now for me due to the heatwave, it's worse than thailand at the moment.

SEA - there's no good longstay options in the countries that are on thailands level. Korea and Japan i visited often but wouldn't want to life there, it reminds me too much of germany. Laos and Co - no thanks. Vietnam has no longstay visa options at all...

HK and Taiwan are in Chinas claws and have a really uncertain future, Singapore made it too damn hard to get permanent residency the last years and has no pay-as-you-go visa option.

I spend a lot of time in New York before, but since Trump i don't really feel like i want to anymore.

Latin America doesn't interest me, i can't explain why.

Most people i know that did visa runs, all < under 50 year olds, switched to elite visas, the money didn't seem to be an issue for them.

Same thing, on elite and looking for a place to migrate next to. Will be checking Oz next (though the taxes are ridicilous) and NZ. Then Croatia and other assorted countries around mediterranean. Sort of limited because kids need schools though. If it was just me I'd be long gone.

Maybe the statistic is wrong, but the feeling not to be welcome in this country is getting bigger and bigger and the once who can leave are doing it. And the new "goverment" that is still in military hands, won't change anything as they not see a problem long stayers like to leave....

3 minutes ago, wreckingcountry said:

Why are these figures made public ? What’s the motive ? Maybe to nudge others to follow

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

To get clicks and website hits from bored farang with nothing better to do than whinge and bitch to get them through the day.

2 hours ago, madmen said:

Tourists come on 30 day exempt and have nothing to do with immigration. 

What about those who come on a Multiple Entry Tourist Visa. They're also tourists. They stay in hotels, drink in bars and eat in restaurants. They simply stay for longer and usually spend more money.

But they're still tourists. I'm one of them and when my current METV expires next year I have yet to decide what I'll do.

The options that Thailand currently has on offer (such as having to obtain a series of SE TVs) are not very attractive

Tourists who come on long holidays are still tourists.

4 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Nothing to see here!!

The topic was about legal long term visa holders and not tourists and illegal immigrants … :thumbsup:

Same thing, on elite and looking for a place to migrate next to. Will be checking Oz next (though the taxes are ridicilous) and NZ. Then Croatia and other assorted countries around mediterranean. Sort of limited because kids need schools though. If it was just me I'd be long gone.
Are you from one of them?

Oz and Nz seem extremely hard, i tried the entrepreneurship viss in NZ. Got declined, not for monetary reasons, they are extremely picky.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

Archived