Tougher immigration rules sees large number of Nordic expats leave Thailand

webfact

• Replies 264
  • Created
  • Last Reply
42 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Yes small numbers but what they are showing is a trend. These are the people that Thailand should be courting to bring investment into Thailand and if they had any sense would be encouraging them but to see a downward spiral in all visa categories is a worry

Too insignificant to show a trend, small numbers to begin with, not explanation on methodology of collection of figures, method of collating them, or error of margin

Shows nothing at all really

Fluctuations again. 

The exchange rates are flucking the UK and Australian and European people well and truly. 

Many cannot afford to weather the storm. 

The thai government can intervene on monetary policy anytime it wants.

But chooses to not do so. 

My partner looks at me and says "is it ok?"

The answer is no...

For many the dream is over...

All I get in return for my support for the thai way of life, and looking after my partner and her kids from a thai marriage, is more regulations from the government. 

And less disposable income to do it with.

27 minutes ago, Teddy3943 said:

After 9 years of: being cheated, regarded as a criminal by immigration, greedy medical system, no rights as a citizen, severe corruption by several government officers, horrendus traffic, bad air and contaminated food, etc., I moved back to a real developed country. It is really a big relieve.

As the things you mention were probably the same when you came here, if it took you 9 years to realise you couldn't handle things here, you probably should not have left your home country in the first place. 

I’m not Nordic but I did see the writing on the wall and left.

I took my money too! There are plenty of places in this World where my spending will be appreciated. Cheap Charlie Brits, African and Indian criminals will all boost the economy tremendously. 

1 hour ago, the guest said:

Europeans are on the bottom of the list, I doubt Thailand even acknowledges Farangs these days given the country is now blitzed with their new found (richer) ATM's (Chinese and Russians).

My advise is go to another country like Vietnam or Cambodia, same climate, same race of people and a hell lot cheaper !

The myth of the ever rich Russians and Chinese: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD?locations=DE-EU-CN-RU-US-AU

i laughed hard.

gdp per capita.PNG

1 hour ago, ianezy0 said:

Well I watched the Vikings series on Netflix and these chaps are not too friendly at the best of times. From what I saw, rather than shake hands, they would greet you with axe buried in your skull ????

Ah that's just a small love tap. 

1 hour ago, Teddy3943 said:

After 9 years of: being cheated, regarded as a criminal by immigration, greedy medical system, no rights as a citizen, severe corruption by several government officers, horrendus traffic, bad air and contaminated food, etc., I moved back to a real developed country. It is really a big relieve.

Beware though.. I've been a returning expat before I ever came to Thailand. The honeymoon works both ways, after a few months back in fatherland all the things that annoyed you before you left are back in full force. At least you know what to expect.

Tourists come on 30 day exempt and have nothing to do with immigration. 

Oh yes they do!
Was planning to take my Mom while she is here for several short trips to Siem Reap later to Hong Kong and another trip to Singapore.

I have given up on the idea after reading reports that people have been stopped at BKK or DMK just because they had several consecutive Thai entry stamps in their passport!
And I will surely not expose her to some unfriendly, uncompromising person who’s unbelievably demanding job it is to put a stupid stamp in a passport and who’s mission in life seems to be to cause problems to people who just want to enjoy a vacation!
My mother deserves better than this!
So you see - also genuine tourists are affected by all the BS immigration is pulling here.

They should decide here if they want us retirees and if they want tourists or not! If yes they should start treating visitors like guests or go to hell!

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Nordic countries are in top 10 in the world for high standard of living, not to mention a healthcare. What's better in Thailand now? At least before when baht was low it was a benefit to save money on low cost of jiving and occasional trip to soi 6. Not much of that left now

2 hours ago, spermwhale said:

Nice editorializing by ThaiVisa in the headline : "Tougher immigration rules sees large number of Nordic expats leave Thailand"

Nowhere in the article does it give a reason for the decline. It just cites statistics. So that headline is just a guess at best or someone's opinion. I would think the real reason is the decining quality of life in Thailand, particularly in Bangkok, which has turned into a traffic hell and a public transport system that forces people to wait in queues for 6 or more trains on the BTS when trying to commute to and from work. 

Totally agree. People come and go all the time for a variety of reasons, most of them much more prosaic than the attention grabber 'Tougher Immigration Rules.'  I would be willing to bet that the number doesn't vary much over any given period of time, plus there's nothing on new arrivals either.

2 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

Nordic countries are in top 10 in the world for high standard of living, not to mention a healthcare. What's better in Thailand now? At least before when baht was low it was a benefit to save money on low cost of jiving and occasional trip to soi 6. Not much of that left now

tropical islands, beaches, diving spots, weather, housing costs, taxes, food, lower healthcare costs for example?

7 minutes ago, MasterBaker said:

Nordic countries are in top 10 in the world for high standard of living, not to mention a healthcare.

They also have some of the most expensive alcohol in the world, maybe they are all going back to for the medical care after having their fill of cheap alcohol? :whistling:

1 hour ago, Plus Esse Quam Simultatur said:

My guess is that especially the Danish expats who had stayed here for several years got caught with their pants down when the Danish Embassy without any notice in the middle of November last year stopped issue income letters with immediate effect. Many had for years been depended of the income letter and therefor didn't had the required 400.000 or 800.000 in an Thai bank.

My pal Hans, just pays 25k to a VISA agent, no money in the bank at all, but he still gets his retirement extension.

32 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

The myth of the ever rich Russians and Chinese: https://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD?locations=DE-EU-CN-RU-US-AU

i laughed hard.

gdp per capita.PNG

Pointless quoting GDP really. 58% of Americans dont have passports so they wont be contributing at all, whereas China might have pulled 800m people out of poverty but not to the point where they can afford international travel. Never seen that in the RPI basket.

China has roughly 100m passport holders and they have passports because they can afford to travel in the main. Despite your disbelief, every tourist authority in the world is vying for their attention.

11 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

My pal Hans, just pays 25k to a VISA agent, no money in the bank at all, but he still gets his retirement extension.

....has that happen after the new rules ?

7 hours ago, Thaiwrath said:

If I were to move, I would have to start the whole process over again, meeting new people (who to trust, and who not to?), registering at a new hospital, and getting familiar with it, finding my way round a new environment, and, most importantly, finding accommodation as good as the one I am in now.

At aged late fifties, I cannot see the point of leaving and starting again somewhere else, in view of the above, and would only do so if I was forced to, and I would think most people here feel the same. So I , personally, cannot see a mass exodus of expats out, unless it is financially not possible to remain here.

Now retired, I faced the choice: stay where I am and struggle financially, or move away and live comfortably.  I've now relocated to Vietnam because of the changes in Thai immigration laws. I am 71.

I'm sorry for those who are burdened by social ties and the Comfort Zone - to the point where they can't break away. Things are only going to become more putative in Thailand. The govt will continue to squeeze the Westerners because we have become insignificant in their eyes. We're now undesirables.

It's the Chinese and Indian money they are after, and day-trippers not immigrants. It's quick, easy, low-maintenance money with a rapid turnover. And, as the Baht grows stronger and Euro currencies fall, it looks like that's all they're be getting in the foreseeable future.

1 minute ago, robsamui said:

Now retired, I faced the choice: stay where I am and struggle financially, or move away and live comfortably.  I've now relocated to Vietnam because of the changes in Thai immigration laws. I am 71.

What change in Thai immigration caused you financial hardship?

9 minutes ago, ThomasThBKK said:

And how do you plan to stay in Vietnam for long? They don't have a retirement Visa.

Just keep extending whatever VISA you have, sometimes 3 months, sometimes 6 months, sometimes 1 year.

It isn't a problem, no more effort than 90 day reports, and the costs end up the same at around $300/year.

Why many people leave Thailand. (Special Nordic people)

It´s not cheap to stay anymore, and government hospitals use this term: double up +.

I come from Denmark and can´t get a life insurance from Denmark because i stay and live in Thailand. Those insurance you can get in Thailand are expensive and not cover for everything.

I understand white people have to pay more then Thai people, but use the term double up + can be everything what they now want to charge you for. It cane be better if they had say for this it will cost you 2000 baht 20000-40000 baht. Just put the amount on. And if ask for the price never have answer. I feel i go be screwed. Thailand is a nice country and i love it!!!

Not the best way thai government has go at the province in TH.

Archived