Kasikorn bank closing ATMs

Mojomor

2 hours ago, Oink said:

I went to my branch in Royal Garden Mall and the Bank had gone. They made no effort to inform me of this slight change in our arrangement. Went to another branch and withdrew all my money ASAP. 

Same same.

Recently I was in Pattaya where I opened my first account in 2009 with Kasikorn at Royal Garden.

Oops, gone.

A day later I was with a friend at the branch in Jomtien Soi 2.

At the occasion I asked what happened.

They "merged" with the branch at Central Festival.

And anyway: new passbook, new ATM card can all be done at any branch.

Nothing withdrawn, nothing closed.

But really it would have been worth a notice.

Royal Garden is going south.

Dead as a dodo.

It surprises me that the number of ATMs is going down?

Others observe this?

Pattaya specific?

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

I get the impression they are increasing daily......always seems to be another one popping up, Kasikorn and SCB being the most new ones, but also lately a lot of TMB ones appearing as well.

I also noticed fewer K-Bank ATMs in Bangkok. And "my" branch near Sukhumvit Soi 15 was also recently closed.

I guess braches and machines cost a lot of money and more and more online business makes them obsolete.

In total there are still more than enough ATMs - at least in the middle of Bangkok.

22 hours ago, Oink said:

A few years ago TMB started doing the same. I went to my branch in Royal Garden Mall and the Bank had gone. They made no effort to inform me of this slight change in our arrangement. Went to another branch and withdrew all my money ASAP. 

You are aware that your money in their bank actually belongs to them aren’t you? That’s why I despise banksters. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

On a related note, I would be very careful about putting or having any significant large sums of cash in Thailand.  The immigration 800k deposit changes and other things, just have the whiff of a money grab, and may make things difficult for foreigners to access their money, never mind get it out of Thailand

There's something to this:  I suspect there is no one on ThaiVisa old enough to recall that in 1933 President Roosevelt seized all holdings of gold in the US, even that belonging to foreign banks and other entities.  Some Americans were even  prosecuted and jailed for hoarding gold.

It was not until December 31, 1974, that President Ford rescinded the 1933 decree.  So for 40 years Americans had no right to own gold.

The moral is: governments can do anything they want at any time.

See this interesting synopsis of the affair.  

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Executive_Order_6102

• Like 2

I think we are spoiled in Thailand by the number of ATMs. Whenever I visit Australia, and travel to new places, it seems to take at least 20 minutes to find one in the bigger towns. 

It is the opposite with public rubbish bins. In Australia you hardly have to move a few metres out of your way to drop your trash. In Thailand you are lucky to find a bin even in large shopping centres.

Edited by Stevemercer
  • Like 1

I hope this is a pre-emptive strategy to save money before the next crisis hits; rather than they are short of money and have to make savings. I took an investment out with KBank recently so I want them to be/stay financially healthy.

3 hours ago, paahlman said:

I used to have bankthai.. Suddenly one day there was no more bankthai.. no warning....

BankThai, Bangkok, Thailand | Head office, address, tel ...

BankThai (BT), the 9th largest commercial bank in Thailand, was acquired by CIMB Bank Berhad in January 2009. On 4 May 2009, CIMB Bank completed the registration of its new name - CIMB Thai Bank Public Company Limited.

22 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

On a related note, I would be very careful about putting or having any significant large sums of cash in Thailand.  The immigration 800k deposit changes and other things, just have the whiff of a money grab, and may make things difficult for foreigners to access their money, never mind get it out of Thailand

:cheesy: all foreigners? like Ford and Toyota?

On 7/2/2019 at 8:32 PM, KhunBENQ said:

It surprises me that the number of ATMs is going down?

Others observe this?

I have seen Bangkok Bank close or move ATM's here in Hua Hin. And yes Thais are paying with all types of cards now at 7/11, Family Mart and Tesco Lotus express. It is expensive to transport and load cash into ATM's. I never used any plastic five years ago in Thailand, now all groceries, BTS, Home Pro all on plastic just like the states. And tracking with membership cards. The 1 card, M card...    

18 minutes ago, Montnoveau said:

I'd also say it's a sign of times.

I've stop using cash since many years back home. They've issued new bank notes there a few years ago and I would have trouble recognizing them.

Only criminals prefer cash.

Thank you very much for categorising me as a criminal.

You obviously live in a city somewhere.

I live in rural Thailand and most people prefer cash. Try going to the local markets and saying that you want to pay your 100 or so baht using your debit/credit card and see how much they laugh at you.

I went to 4 different stalls at the local market today and my biggest bill was 350 baht and the smallest was 40 baht.

Thailand is NOT all cities and credit/debit cards and NOT everyone has a credit/debit card.

2 hours ago, Sharp said:

Online payments

Heading for cashless payment systems worldwide

All part of the control people emoji848.png

Sent from my SM-P555 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Never going to happen.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, billd766 said:

Thailand is NOT all cities and credit/debit cards and NOT everyone has a credit/debit card.

Never going to happen.

I would not say never.... but yes it will still take some time.

But as you see more and more cashless is coming. (LinePay, BluePay, PromptPay, ...)

• Like 1

On 7/2/2019 at 8:41 PM, observer90210 said:

A sign perhaps that before with all the foreigners an ATM was almost as spread as a 7/11....but today with the forcomming financial crisis that will hit unpredictably due to big numbers of foreigners leaving, the overrated THB, doubts on stability, immigration harassment....fewer clients, so fewer machines needed....IMHO

there are approx 70 million Thai people and you think bank branches and atm machines are here just for foreigners??

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LukKrueng said:

there are approx 70 million Thai people and you think bank branches and atm machines are here just for foreigners??

relax my dear...no need to get so upset....but with your kind permission, maybe the ATM's previsously put in highly touristic areas and that have been now removed may be a sign on what I cited in the post above. good day to you.

Come on! There is a powerful push world wide for a cashless monetary system. ATMs will no longer be needed. Shocking to think they can pull that off in Thailand but the authorities here are already supporting it. 

The plan is for banks to be able to charge negative interest rates as they please. If you can take your money out of the bank in the form of cash then their plan will not work. They have to end cash. In the near future gold, silver, cryptos, and hard assets are looking like the best alternatives but no one knows how long those will legally be available. 

In the end we are all...

• Like 1