Bring your own bag shopping, starting today

webfact

24 minutes ago, Moonlover said:

Personally. I don't think that the supermarket bags are the big issue in Thailand. Their bags are quite thin and degrade very quickly.

Not sure about that... I get plastic bags from outlets such as Tesco and Tops from time to time, and save them at home and sometimes use them for storing things at home vs. putting them in the trash. They seem to survive intact and without deteriorating for as long as I've had them... unlike the different variety that Villa uses, which do in fact decompose eventually.

supermarket bags are banned in Australia so I see this as a good start. Still a long way to go...but ????

they gave me a free multi use bag at Central today. Free bag if you spend >800 baht

Edited by ianezy0

1 hour ago, zydeco said:

Danger in reusable grocery bags.

I have been using the reusable plastic bags I bought from Macro years ago.

After each shop my Thai wife cleans and airs them - ready for next shop.

Vegetables imported from China are all rich in E-coli due to the fact it is normal for farmers there to use sewerage as fertiliser.

We don't consume Chinese products and we clean our shopping bags - - - -

• Like 1

Today at TOPS in Khon Kaen.

No need to bring a bag.

The whole cashier area was filled up with empty cardboard boxes of the products they sell.

What a view in such a posh shopping place :biggrin:

I took the chance and stuffed my few things in one and carried to the car (park).

And I was not lazy to bring the box back :tongue:

(forgot my fancy Villa bag in the car)

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

We've been using a couple of Tesco bags we bought when in the UK which have warning labels regarding contamination. It wasn't until we used them in Tesco that we realised that you get extra points.  We often use them in the market as well. 

They probably need to promote it more or charge for bags so people notice.  There was a campaign about 2 years ago I think trying to cut the number of bags used. 

• Like 1

the issue of the dangers of plastic bags is very overated when one considers the amount of methane gas emmited from a good fart,yet it would appear no one wants to address the issue of flatulance,will the ozone layer have to develop  more holes than a string vest before action is taken?

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:
2 hours ago, Moonlover said:

Personally. I don't think that the supermarket bags are the big issue in Thailand. Their bags are quite thin and degrade very quickly.

2 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

Not sure about that... I get plastic bags from outlets such as Tesco and Tops from time to time, and save them at home and sometimes use them for storing things at home vs. putting them in the trash. They seem to survive intact and without deteriorating for as long as I've had them... unlike the different variety that Villa uses, which do in fact decompose eventually.

Sorry, but that's not really a fair comparison. Supermarket chains worldwide have, for quite some time been supplying bags that break down quickly in the environment. Kept in the home, away from sunlight and the elements and they will survive longer of course.

But none the less. kudos to you for keeping and reusing them. ???? 

I don’t get it, which bags you use to dump your garbage? Plastic garbage bags right? I use ALL plastic shopping bags for garbage. If tomorrow supermarkets stop giving plastic shopping bags, I will be forced to buy garbage bags. Where is the win?
On the contrary, why supermarkets don’t use a plastic bags more resembling to garbage bags to ensure double use and make it biodegradable.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1