Thailand Blacklisted From Receiving New AIDS Drugs

Jai Dee

Learn how to read dude.

Go to bed and have another dream.

The s word in 3 posts out of 4 within 15 min that would be "often" but not "all", yes i think i got you, but then again I am not sure we are comunicating on the same level, aeeh "Dude"

And yes i might just take a nap and i hope to dream, i like that.

:D

Really really really goodbye. :o

Edited by larvidchr

• Replies 663
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Learn how to read dude.

The s word in 3 posts out of 4 within 15 min that would be "often" but not "all", yes i think i got you, but then again I am not sure we are comunicating on the same level, aeeh "Dude"

:bah:

Really really really goodbye. :D

:o

I have to appologise big time to Galon and Prakanong getting mixed up in who wrote what, I have no excuse and should have been more carefull, sorry again. especially to you Prakanong since it wasent intented for you at all in the first place I somehow got your posts to be Galons. Only goes to show once you have decided to leave a thread you really should.

And it turns out you where right Galon, I should have gone to bed and had a dream.

:D:D:D

Edited by larvidchr

Learn how to read dude.

I have to appologise big time to Galon and Prakanong getting mixed up in who wrote what, I have no excuse and should have been more carefull, sorry again. especially to you Prakanong since it wasent intented for you at all in the first place I somehow got your posts to be Galons. Only goes to show once you have decided to leave a thread you really should.

And it turns out you where right Galon, I should have gone to bed and had a dream.

No blood, no foul... Thanks for the appology... dude. :o:bah:

USA for Innovation Launches Thai Myths

ThaiMyths.com (http://www.thaimyths.com/), a project of USA for Innovation, was unveiled today to draw attention to the deceit in Thailand's decision to steal American and European innovation.

Each business day for two weeks from May 7 -- May 18, ThaiMyths.com will release additional information regarding one of the ten recent myths by the Health Minister Mongkol na Songkhla.

Source: USA for Innovation - 07 May 2007

Learn how to read dude.

Thanks but I had stopped following this thread ages ago - LOL

Too busy working for big pharma travelling around the region ;-))

Now that Bill Clinton's Foundation has negotiated very good prices for 2nd line HIV/AID's drugs does Thailand need to try and produce its own?

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/6637385.stm

Former US President supports Thailand's decision to issue CL

Public Health Minister Md. Mongkol Na Songkla (มงคล ณ สงขลา) indicates former US President Bill Clinton has supported Thailand’s decision to issue compulsory license (CL).

Public Health Minister said that Mr Bill Clinton has encouraged Thailand and Brazil to enforce CL, therefore to help low-income people have access to medicines. Former US President also says Thailand should not worry the CL enforcement would affect Thailand’s economy as he believes the CL enforcement is abided by World Trade Organization’s rules.

At the same time, Md. Mongkol says CL enforcement will lift only three patented protection for anti-HIV medicine, Kaletra, anti-clogging agent Plavix, and Efavirenz, the second-line drug used to save the lives of HIV-infected people. He affirms Thailand’s CL is intended to provide benefit to people in the country.

Public Health Minister says he is scheduled to explain the subject to US Senators by hoping they might help delete name of Thailand in US Priority Watch List.

Source: Thai National News Bureau Public Relations Department - 09 May 2007

"Public Health Minister Md. Mongkol Na Songkla (มงคล ณ สงขลา) indicates former US President Bill Clinton has supported Thailand’s decision to issue compulsory license (CL).

Public Health Minister said that Mr Bill Clinton has encouraged Thailand and Brazil to enforce CL, therefore to help low-income people have access to medicines. Former US President also says Thailand should not worry the CL enforcement would affect Thailand’s economy as he believes the CL enforcement is abided by World Trade Organization’s rules. "

Is he quoting a private conversation?

I know he was at the Clinton announcement but I can not find a full account of what Clinton actually said although he said he beleived in IP and that companies should make enough back on their R&D to carry on doing this development

Does it mean Thailand will now buy drugs at the prices agreed through the clinton foundation - of course only the HIV drugs which are the same?

If not it would be interesting to look at costs of setting up and producing their own as opposed to buying from the two Indian companies

Edited by Prakanong

question 2 : has taxin been tied to usa for innovation ???

Yes... see this post.

Has he not cut all ties to the Public elations firm now though to avoid exactly this allegation?

This was reported in the Straits Times yesterday I think it was.

Yes but it was too late. Thai media has exposed the connection between Thaksin's lobbyists and the US for Innovation already.

There is a long list of US for Innovation publications attacking Thailand somewhere here on TV.

Thaimyths.com or thailies.com are just the latest.

None of the sites is blocked so far and I don't think they will ever be.

question 2 : has taxin been tied to usa for innovation ???

Yes... see this post.

Has he not cut all ties to the Public elations firm now though to avoid exactly this allegation?

This was reported in the Straits Times yesterday I think it was.

Yes but it was too late. Thai media has exposed the connection between Thaksin's lobbyists and the US for Innovation already.

There is a long list of US for Innovation publications attacking Thailand somewhere here on TV.

Thaimyths.com or thailies.com are just the latest.

None of the sites is blocked so far and I don't think they will ever be.

I agree it was too late

Even if there were "Chinese Walls" inside the PR firm and Taksin never spoke about the IP issue to them it is too late.

Clinton backs Thailand's compulsory licensing : Dr Mongkol

Former US President Bill Clinton has backed Thailand and Brazil in their recent decisions to award compulsory licenses to generic brands of anti-HIV/Aids drugs, Thai Health Minister Dr Mongkol na Songkhla said on Wednesday.

Mongkol Na Songkhla said in a telephone interview from the US, said Clinton had backed Thailand's decision to award compulsory licensing of the US-made anti-viral drug Efavirenz in November last year.

The decision was followed by Brazil's decision to also break the patent on Efavirenz last Friday.

"I strongly support the position of the governments of Thailand and Brazil and their decision after futile negotiations to break these patents," Mongkol quoted Clinton as saying.

Mongkol travelled to the US on Monday to explain Thailand's reasons for awarding compulsory licensing - a legal action to break patent protection allowed under World Trade Organization (WTO) rules - on three patented drugs.

Thailand broke the patent on Efavirenz produced by US pharmaceutical company MerckSharp and Dohme last November, and decided to do the same for Kaletra, another anti-HIV/Aids treatment made by US firm Abbott Laboratories, and Plavis, a blood-thinning drug made by Sanofi-Aventis, in January of this year.

The Thai minister was in New York to sign an agreement with the Clinton Foundation and 16 other developing countries for bulk purchases of essential drugs at cheap prices.

Source: The Nation - 09 May 2007

""I strongly support the position of the governments of Thailand and Brazil and their decision after futile negotiations to break these patents," Mongkol quoted Clinton as saying."

As I have said above I can find no reference to Clinton saying this except for Mongkol saying he says I says.

He may well have but havng followed this story since the middle of last night on the BBC through to various sites today I have found nothing - it may be me!

Not wanting to call anyone as being uneconomical with the truth I would like to see the quote from somewhere credible and from someone without a reson to tell porkies ;-)))

Clinton strongly defends IP rights and the rights of pharma companies to make returns on apital invested to continue research!

Edited by Prakanong

Gotcha

""I strongly support the position of the governments of Thailand and Brazil and their decision after futile negotiations to break these patents," he said.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/F09...D302BC86CD1.htm

It was me could not find it ;-))

Problem is though did Thailand did not negotiate upfront so Bill is mis-informed

Edited by Prakanong

Gotcha

""I strongly support the position of the governments of Thailand and Brazil and their decision after futile negotiations to break these patents," he said.

http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/F09...D302BC86CD1.htm

It was me could not find it ;-))

Problem is though did Thailand did not negotiate upfront so Bill is mis-informed

yes, I would need more information before making comment on president clinton.

people really don't understand the damage that they are causing mankind by abusing the patent system.

..we will be going back to the old master/apprentice scenario if things keep going the way they are.

do you remember the old days where a master would grudgingly accept prospective apprentices to follow in their foodsteps? the apprentice would scrub everything clean. work like a slave for his master hoping that he will teach him something. you see it in the kung <deleted> movies all the time. in the past, this was the type of relationships prevalent in the world whether it be shoemakers, bookkeepers, etc.

essentially, secrets are passed very, very, very slowly in these type of relationships.

oh. you think you can reverse engineer everything out there? keep dreaming... if people could do that so easily, we should have found a cure for aids a long time ago.

My 2pc is that after the initial profits the drug co's should not be making money on something as critical as AIDS drugs. It is the single biggest new disease killer to emerge in the last 100 years. So much of the worlds population is infected it's scary.

In the name of humanity why don't the drug co's see it as simply the right thing to do and help to save lives with no ulterior motives just for once.

They've had their windfall for years already.If I were a shareholder in those co's I would sell. And yes it matters not one jot if they were making me bucks i'd still sell, it's blood money any way you cut it.

My 2pc is that after the initial profits the drug co's should not be making money on something as critical as AIDS drugs. It is the single biggest new disease killer to emerge in the last 100 years. So much of the worlds population is infected it's scary.

In the name of humanity why don't the drug co's see it as simply the right thing to do and help to save lives with no ulterior motives just for once.

They've had their windfall for years already.If I were a shareholder in those co's I would sell. And yes it matters not one jot if they were making me bucks i'd still sell, it's blood money any way you cut it.

Drug companies must continue to make profits on their drugs. This is what pays for the R&D to make new AIDS and other drugs. The profit from the old drugs are paying to develop the new. A shareholder will never sell if the company is making money. They are there to make a profit not to save the world. They will sell when the company quits making money when people start stealing their patents and the company starts loosing money. Which in turn will slow the development on new AIDS drugs to save people.

Drug companies must continue to make profits on their drugs. This is what pays for the R&D to make new AIDS and other drugs. The profit from the old drugs are paying to develop the new. A shareholder will never sell if the company is making money. They are there to make a profit not to save the world. They will sell when the company quits making money when people start stealing their patents and the company starts loosing money. Which in turn will slow the development on new AIDS drugs to save people.

Basically true but drugs do drop in price over time and there are company's out there selling their drugs to less developed countries at much lower prices than in the west.

I work for one of them.

Its a nice sentiment but who decided what level of profit or reasonable return?

Is it just on the particular drug or do you take in the whole of the R&D function - only 1 in 10 drugs make it to market if that (those that make it to human trials). Who pays for all those that do not

There is also - there are people starving all over the world too - Why do the rich farmers not give away the food they produce after making a reasonable return?

I would think that these kids would tend to agree with you, englishoak...

AIDSkids.jpg

Katin Kethsamrau, left, and Angsana Suyata stand together at the Human Developement Foundation in Bangkok, Thailand. Both were infected with the AIDS virus at birth. Former U.S. President Bill Clinton supports Thailand's move to reduce AIDS drug prices, May 9, 2007 after the country decided to break patents on three medications.

Associated Press

Aidsgirls.jpg

Angsana Suyata, a Thai girl infected at birth with the AIDS virus, displays the limited medication she receives at a Bangkok hospice. Former U.S. President Bill Clinton supports Thailand's move to reduce AIDS drug prices, after the country decided to break patents on three medications.

Associated Press

Edited by sriracha john

Spoken from the heart.However the profit motive of the drug companies has saved many millions of lives over the last fifty years and improved the quality of life for countless others.The expenditure in developing and seeking approval for new drugs is mind boggling, and without fair pricing (including a recognition that compensation is needed for development costs) in the commercial phase there is no motivation for these companies to innovate.The Clinton Foundation is I think on the right lines in seeking a compromise on some of the most important drugs the third world needs, but the vitriol expended on the pharmaceutical industry here and elsewhere is really economic illiteracy for the most part.

AIDSkids.jpg

Katin Kethsamrau, left, and Angsana Suyata stand together at the Human Developement Foundation in Bangkok, Thailand. Both were infected with the AIDS virus at birth. Former U.S. President Bill Clinton supports Thailand's move to reduce AIDS drug prices, May 9, 2007 after the country decided to break patents on three medications.

Associated Press

Aidsgirls.jpg

Angsana Suyata, a Thai girl infected at birth with the AIDS virus, displays the limited medication she receives at a Bangkok hospice. Former U.S. President Bill Clinton supports Thailand's move to reduce AIDS drug prices, after the country decided to break patents on three medications.

Associated Press

The drugs she is dispaying were developed from the profits of the Pharm. companies from previous drugs. If they didn't make profits to develop these drugs there would be no drugs to hold in your hand no matter what the cost. What you are asking is for the Pharm. companies to not make profit and have no money to develop new drugs or maybe even a cure. How is that helping the AIDS crisis?

AIDSkids.jpg

Associated Press

Aidsgirls.jpg

Associated Press

The drugs she is dispaying were developed from the profits of the Pharm. companies from previous drugs. If they didn't make profits to develop these drugs there would be no drugs to hold in your hand no matter what the cost. What you are asking is for the Pharm. companies to not make profit and have no money to develop new drugs or maybe even a cure. How is that helping the AIDS crisis?

What are the medications she is holding in her hand? Without knowing, we don't know the origin of their development.

Who is asking the Pharmaceutical companies to not make a profit? Is there no middle ground? Is it necessary for the pendulum to only swing from no profit to making trillions of baht?

AIDSkids.jpg

Associated Press

Aidsgirls.jpg

Associated Press

What are the medications she is holding in her hand? Without knowing, we don't know the origin of their development.

Who is asking the Pharmaceutical companies to not make a profit? Is there no middle ground? Is it necessary for the pendulum to only swing from no profit to making trillions of baht?

Even if they are generics the originals came from the profits of past drugs invested.

As for middle ground - yes there is and Pharma companies can and do reduce certain drug costs to less developed nations.

The sad fact is if thy gave away al they had to these countries the whole health care structure is not in place to distribute them anyway.

The Bill Clinton and Bill and Melinda Gates Foundations are showing one way forward and I hope they may continue to do so. The UN or another multi-national body could also get involved ....... whoever it is its not just about the supply of the drugs alone.

We all know about the costs of R&D and the shareholder issue. As far as making money is concerned they make more than enough and then some. There comes a time when you have to say "look there is something we can do to help, make our money back 10 fold and when thats done reduce the cost to minimal and move on to the next wonder drug"

Why ? because it's the right thing to do simple as that, the drug companies are, like it or not, part of the medical world by association, they are also bound by the fundimental laws of helping humanity as is a doctor. They have helped by developing these drugs, made thier money and can now more than afford to be generous with their product and save even more lives . Thats the idea about being in the medical profession right ? to help to save lives. Even if it means reducing profits ! :D

As a far as shareholders are concerned they should also have a thought to where that holiday or new car came from.

You can justify the drug co's pricing all you want but it does not alter the fact that these people are DYING and there IS something they can do which involves no more than cutting profits on a very minor level. It would'nt hurt their image none either. :o

Edited by englishoak

We all know about the costs of R&D and the shareholder issue. As far as making money is concerned they make more than enough and then some. There comes a time when you have to say "look there is something we can do to help, make our money back 10 fold and when thats done reduce the cost to minimal and move on to the next wonder drug"

Why ? because it's the right thing to do simple as that, the drug companies are, like it or not, part of the medical world by association, they are also bound by the fundimental laws of helping humanity as is a doctor. They have helped by developing these drugs, made thier money and can now more than afford to be generous with their product and save even more lives . Thats the idea about being in the medical profession right ? to help to save lives. Even if it means reducing profits ! :D

As a far as shareholders are concerned they should also have a thought to where that holiday or new car came from.

You can justify the drug co's pricing all you want but it does not alter the fact that these people are DYING and there IS something they can do which involves no more than cutting profits on a very minor level. It would'nt hurt their image none either. :o

And drug companies sometimes do exactly that - not all but those who practice CSR

Look at the details about GSK and its policy on cut price HIV drugs to less developed countries - a policy that changed after the ridiculous situation that arose in S Africa - its in this thread or another of the pharma bashing threads - if you can not find it I will get the details for you

Again though - when are the farmers going to give their produce away too though - any TV members doing it after they have made "Sufficient"?

As to the question of profits from HIV drugs does anybody have the figures on these?

Any "Blockbuster" HIV drugs out there ie sales of 1 billion USD per year is the standard for this

If I look at our drugs at the company I work for HIV drugs seem to be way down the list in income - the blockbusters are not here!

They are and will be for cancer, chronic conditions etc .

I will try to find out the figures myself but if anyone else had them could they please post

TRADE ROW WITH US

PR war over cheap drugs causes anger

Aids activists outraged by 'lies' in US lobby group's ad, as ministries defend generic drugs, compulsory licensing

The publicity war between Thai health officials, Aids activists and the pharmaceutical industry in the US has heated up over Thailand's decision to exercise its right to import generic versions of expensive Aids and heart-disease drugs to help poor patients.

The battle was stirred up by an advertisement placed in The Nation yesterday by USA for Innovation, a group that lobbies for US pharmaceutical firms.

The full-page ad alleged that Thailand's move to invoke compulsory licensing to get around drug patents would hurt "the poor and sick of Thailand".

Most Thais with HIV or Aids would "not have access to the world's best medicines" but would be treated with locally made drugs, it said, such as the Aids drug GPO-Vir - "a copy HIV treatment" - which a Mahidol University study had found to have a resistance rate of 39.6 to 58 per cent.

"This is one of the worst cases of HIV drug resistance in the world," the provocative advertisement said.

However, the Government Pharmaceutical Organisation (GPO), which manufactured the GPO-Vir drug, rejected the allegation yesterday, saying resistance to its product was only 10 per cent.

Wanchai Suppajaturas, deputy director of the GPO, said the drug was good and cheap, and could help save the lives of more than 100,000 people with HIV/Aids.

The GPO was supported by local Aids activists and Medecins Sans Frontieres (MSF, Doctors Without Borders), the acclaimed international health organisation.

"If the drug has high resistance, why are so many patients still using it? And why is the number of deaths from Aids in Thailand decreasing?" Wanchai said.

Aids Access Foundation director Nimitr Tien-udom called on the public to be aware of the hidden message between the "lies" of the advertisement.

"The advertisement is for the interests of those who pay for it. It is clear that the advertisement is an effort to counter the issue of compulsory licensing of US Aids drugs. The money they used to pay for the advertisement came from the pockets of all of us who paid for their expensive medicines," Nimitr said.

USA for Innovation is run by Kenneth Adelman, senior counsellor at Edelman Public Relations Worldwide. Among the largest clients of Edelman is Abbott Laboratories, which is involved in a patent dispute with Thailand over its life-saving Aids drug Kaletra.

MSF representative in Thailand, Dr David Wilson, condemned the ad for "telling lies" and attempting to destroy the reputation of the state-run GPO, which has played a key role in developing cheaper drugs that the poor can get access to.

"It also shakes the confidence of Aids patients about GPO-Vir. This is unacceptable," he said in a telephone interview.

The Nation also received strong criticism from the public for running the full-page ad. Jiraporn Limpananond, a lecturer at Chulalongkorn University's Faculty of Pharmacy, said the paper had "sold its soul" by publishing the advertisement.

"It is so sad that Thai media published an advertisement that told lies and caused disunity among Thais," she said.

Tulsathit Taptim, editor of The Nation, called on critics to judge the paper's editorial stand on the issue - from its editorials. He pointed out that the company's editorial and advertising departments worked independently to ensure both sections had minimal conflicts of interest.

He said the paper was willing to explore the big global controversy over compulsory licensing and would welcome arguments against the ad and give both sides equal reporting space.

Yesterday's advertisement is part of a huge public relations campaign by USA for Innovation. While the controversial ad was published in Thailand, Adelman sent an open letter yesterday to US Congressmen, urging them to respond in a "vigorous manner" to Thailand and Brazil, which moved last Friday to invoke compulsory licensing and break the patent on a US Aids drug.

In his letter, Adelman accused Thailand and Brazil of signalling to the world that they were "unwilling to respect international patent protection".

"Thailand and Brazil have no excuse for their behaviour. They are not poor countries and cannot claim to be in crisis," the letter said.

USA for Innovation has also created the website www.thailies.com and vowed to "draw attention to the deceit in Thailand's decision to steal American and European innovation".

The "recent lies by Health Minister Mongkol Na Songkhla for two weeks from May 7 to 18" posted on www.thailies.com include the use of compulsory licensing. The site claims that Thailand violated the World Trade Organisation (WTO) agreement on intellectual property. It also claims the Health Minister "did not make a single effort to negotiate with drug firms before issuing the compulsory licence".

The allegations were countered or explained by Thailand's Foreign Affairs and Public Health ministries (see graphic).

The Foreign Ministry countered the claims via its website www.mfa.go.th and said that the use of compulsory licensing was permitted under the Trade Related Aspects of Intellectual Properties.

"So, our action is WTO-consistent. Even the USTR has not disputed this," the Foreign Ministry website said. USTR refers to the US Trade Representative, which downgraded Thailand's trade status to Priority Watch List recently - allegedly for worsening intellectual property rights infringements.

The USTR move has left Thailand open to trade penalties and the possible loss of privileges under the General System of Preferences system. This is the first time the Foreign Ministry has got involved in the compulsory-licensing dispute since it erupted early this year.

Source: The Nation - 11 May 2007