Pest deterrents-ultrasonic

eyecatcher

I came across these in Home Pro and was quite interested simply because we suffer the nightly squirrel bash, squeeling and fighting across our ceilings.

They race around our gutters like a cats chasing them and its very unsettling.

I created the problem i suppose by concentrating on leaving a ventilated roof space. 

These plug in devices some claim can cover 250m2 and basically send out some high pitch noise that sends rodents and insects mad, and hopefully driving them away.

Its not clear if they transmit through walls and ceilings but on one I read dont put behind curtains, and another said plugging in will transmit the noise throughout your wiring system.

At 400bt to 1200bt for these devices, not cheap but if they work and simply send the rodents elsewhere then thats great.

Anyone have any experience of them?

IMG_20190706_111920.jpg

looking at the net, seems the results are varied - some say they work, some say they don't -  for me I have my doubts - however if you go ahead would be interested in hearing your take on them after a test period.  

You mean rats. I think squirrels sleep at night. Whatever you do, don’t put rat poison down, I made that mistake once and had to rip a ceiling out to get to the dead and very stinky victim. As for the ultra sonic things, I’m interested too

4 hours ago, lemonjelly said:

You mean rats. I think squirrels sleep at night. Whatever you do, don’t put rat poison down, I made that mistake once and had to rip a ceiling out to get to the dead and very stinky victim. As for the ultra sonic things, I’m interested too

no i dont mean rats, to be specific burmese and ground squirrels.

And no, squirrels dont sleep at night, well maybe 4hours like the rest of us.

At 7-11pm they play like kids, at 2am they play like kids and squeel and at 5am they are up gathering for breafast.

I live rural, never seen a rat in 5yrs here, rats live in the city amongst the filth

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Chazar said:

useless junk ultrasonics  do  nothing, marketing cack 100% ,try this fraction of the price, guaranteed  to work smear with peanut  butter..... and mind your  fingers!!!

81J2T-hmdML._SX425_.jpg

The whole point of my post is to find a solution that doesnt involve me breaking into the ceiling, climbing onto the roof every day, trying to lob pink pellets onto a sloping roof hoping they dont slide down.

My best attempt was to remove a 3inch spotlight and launch pink pellets from a ruler, but most bits ended up in the bed.

Actually thought there was some use in these things, so pay for what you get doesnt apply here then?

33 minutes ago, eyecatcher said:

no i dont mean rats, to be specific burmese and ground squirrels.

And no, squirrels dont sleep at night, well maybe 4hours like the rest of us.

At 7-11pm they play like kids, at 2am they play like kids and squeel and at 5am they are up gathering for breafast.

I live rural, never seen a rat in 5yrs here, rats live in the city amongst the filth

I live rural too, occasional otter parties at night in the pond behind the house, gibbons calling to each other in the forested hills out front..... and rats.

• 1 month later...

A week after I posted this, I took a completely different tack.

Surpringly I convinced my neighbour to have 75% of his mature trees completely cut down.

We had just had a hurricane blow through the village and one of his 20in diam trees blew down missing both our houses by luck.

I said next time we will notbe so lucky. Never mentioned the squirrel nuisance.

He spent 10k on two guys cutting trees down and my squirrels have nicely buggered off.

The downside I noticed was the cooling effect of a tree canopy over the house, its now gonna cost me 15k for an aircon which we never needed before!