Australia promises national vote on recognition of indigenous people by 2022

webfact

Australia promises national vote on recognition of indigenous people by 2022

By Colin Packham

2019-07-10T043040Z_1_LYNXNPEF6906M_RTROPTP_4_AUSTRALIA-INDIGENOUS.JPG

Minister for Indigenous Australians Ken Wyatt speaks at the National Press Club in Canberra, Australia, July 10, 2019. AAP Image/Rohan Thomson/via REUTERS

SYDNEY (Reuters) - Australia will hold a national vote within three years on whether to include recognition of indigenous people in its constitution, the government said on Wednesday, an issue that has spurred decades of often heated debate.

Australia has struggled to reconcile with descendants of its first inhabitants, who arrived on the continent about 50,000 years before British colonists but are not recognised in the national constitution.

However, with public support on the issue growing, Minister for Indigenous Australians Ken Wyatt promised a referendum before 2022.

"I will develop and bring forward a consensus option for constitutional recognition to be put to a referendum during the current parliamentary term," Wyatt said in a speech in Canberra.

Australians must return to the polls by 2022 after Prime Minister Scott Morrison's conservative coalition government was returned in a "miracle" election win in May.

However, to meet the timetable Wyatt will need to facilitate an agreement between the government and indigenous leaders, who have demanded a bigger voice in the running of the country.

Indigenous leaders proposed in 2017 establishing an advisory body comprised of elected indigenous Australians enshrined in the constitution. The government rejected the proposal, insisting it would create a de facto third chamber in parliament.

The government has come under growing pressure since then to revisit the issue, with several corporate giants insisting that meaningful recognition is the only way to bridge the divide in Australia's population.

"A first nations voice to parliament is a meaningful step towards reconciliation," BHP Chief Executive Officer Andrew Mackenzie said earlier this year.

Indigenous Australians account for about 700,000 people in a total population of 23 million and have tracked near the bottom in almost every socio-economic indicator, suffering disproportionately high rates of suicide, alcohol abuse, domestic violence and imprisonment.

Denied the vote until the mid-1960s, they face a 10-year gap in life expectancy compared with other Australians and make up 27% of the prison population.

(Reporting by Colin Packham; Editing by Paul Tait)

reuters_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Reuters 2019-07-10

For me, they should be mandated a suitable political representation for their populace of ~700,000. Harking back in time solves nothing and I would not like to see Australia go the racially divided way of America. 

From my travels to outback regions in Australia I think most aboriginals have adapted to, and welcome the western lifestyle, and do not want to return to a hunter gatherer lifestyle, but rather, need to be given opportunities to succeed.

The social justice side of me ???? can easily state that obviously they had land unlawfully taken from them so they should get it back. But the pragmatist in me realises that it is simply not that easy. Besides I think Australia has done much over the last few decades to right the wrongs committed long ago. Kudos to them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Puchaiyank said:

Hope for success for the original people of Australia...maybe their success could serve as a model for other nations to be more responsive to the needs of their native countrymen...

i.e. the U.S. and Canada

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, expatfromwyoming said:

For me, they should be mandated a suitable political representation for their populace of ~700,000. Harking back in time solves nothing and I would not like to see Australia go the racially divided way of America. 

From my travels to outback regions in Australia I think most aboriginals have adapted to, and welcome the western lifestyle, and do not want to return to a hunter gatherer lifestyle, but rather, need to be given opportunities to succeed.

The social justice side of me ???? can easily state that obviously they had land unlawfully taken from them so they should get it back. But the pragmatist in me realises that it is simply not that easy. Besides I think Australia has done much over the last few decades to right the wrongs committed long ago. Kudos to them.

"I would not like to see Australia go the racially divided way of America". 

How about racially divided Saudi Arabia, South Africa, Thailand, North Korea, Japan, etc? I've lived in several of these countries which practice much more severe,  government sanctioned prejudice against minorities/non-indigenous.

While the United States, including racially diverse Wyoming, is not perfect, progress has been made in racial equality to the point where former President Barack Obama held that office. Has an aboriginal been elected as Australia's Prime Minister? Maybe so, as I'm not an expert on the Australian political scene, have not traveled to the outback or interviewed any aborginals.

Edited by Benmart
  • Sad 1

1 hour ago, GreasyFingers said:

What percentage of original blood in the original people do you refer to as being native.

The original people are just as racist between the tribes as any other race, be it white or black or in between.

Trying to make race the issue is a form of deflection from the real problems like suicide, alcohol and domestic abuse, lower life expectancy and disproportional number of incarcerations...

They deserve better from a government that confiscated their lands and destroyed their way of living...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, expatfromwyoming said:

Run for office then. I didn't think that was forbidden under Aussie law. Am I missing something here? The US had a long serving Indian Senator by the name of Ben "Lighthorse" Campbell who represented the state of Colorado and they have had tons of Indians serving in the House of Representatives including several currently in office. We even have a fake Indian currently running for office that is sometimes referred to as Pochahontas. Indians enjoy the best of both world's in the US. They have their own sovereign lands they control themselves and they are perfectly free to move out in to the white man's world and fully participate in society and government there too if they see fit. What Australia is proposing here sounds like "separate but equal" parliament for the Aborigines, which would be totally illegal under US law and sounds like something out of Apartheid South Africa. 

Edited by usviphotography
  • Confused 1

2 hours ago, GreasyFingers said:

What percentage of original blood in the original people do you refer to as being native.

The original people are just as racist between the tribes as any other race, be it white or black or in between.

Many of the aboriginal activists, I see on TV have fairer skin than me - and on the skin pigment scale; I'm up there with snow white    

• Like 2

1 hour ago, steven100 said:

disagree ….  Aborigines have been given millions upon million of dollars every year for education, housing, medical, job experience and dozens of other programs. 9 out of 10 programs implemented within the NT or Kimberly region have failed due to management abuse of funds. They squander the money or don't use it for it's intended purpose. Look up the 4 corners episode on what was happening. But this is going back some 30 - 40 years so maybe they have cleaned up their act. 

Also, 90% of coloured skin don't give a damn about their livelihood or their future … they only care about getting a flagon or bottle of plonk today. You only have to spend a couple of nights in Darwin mall to see what they are like. imo, money wasted. 

..why have they (arborigines) be given millions upon million of dollars...? if the country belongs to them, they are the ones who should/could give the money to the immigrants, am i wrong? is it normal that  a country is being ruled by the "foreigners" at the expense of the nationals?

8 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Hope for success for the original people of Australia...maybe their success could serve as a model for other nations to be more responsive to the needs of their native countrymen...

As an ancient Briton, I wholeheartedly agree.

• Like 2

9 hours ago, usviphotography said:

They are a conquered people. If you can't defend your land from outsiders, then it no longer belongs to you. There are many European nations who are going to find that out the hard way in the coming decades. Setting aside a certain area of land and allowing them to live their traditional lifestyle without any interference or intervention from the rest of Australia is probably the kindest, most humane, and most rational way to deal with the problem. 

From your posts in this topic you have no knowledge of the current status of indigenous Australians either politically or land rights. Best to restrain yourself from further posts, unless you research the topic first, as currently you're only digging yourself deeper into the well of ignorance.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 3

11 hours ago, usviphotography said:
18 hours ago, expatfromwyoming said:

Run for office then. I didn't think that was forbidden under Aussie law. Am I missing something here? The US had a long serving Indian Senator by the name of Ben "Lighthorse" Campbell who represented the state of Colorado and they have had tons of Indians serving in the House of Representatives including several currently in office. We even have a fake Indian currently running for office that is sometimes referred to as Pochahontas. Indians enjoy the best of both world's in the US. They have their own sovereign lands they control themselves and they are perfectly free to move out in to the white man's world and fully participate in society and government there too if they see fit. What Australia is proposing here sounds like "separate but equal" parliament for the Aborigines, which would be totally illegal under US law and sounds like something out of Apartheid South Africa. 

Are you "experts" even vaguely aware of the subject matter?

Are you aware that the duly elected Member of Parliament, and Minister for Indigenous Australians, pictured above, is an Indigenous Australian?  

Edited by Old Croc
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, webfact said:

Indigenous Australians account for about 700,000 people in a total population of 23 million and have tracked near the bottom in almost every socio-economic indicator, suffering disproportionately high rates of suicide, alcohol abuse, domestic violence and imprisonment.

(Reporting by Colin Packham; Editing by Paul Tait)

You would think Reuters would get the population of the country correct if they are going to use it for comparative purposes.

Now over 25 million.

12 hours ago, usviphotography said:

Yes it is against aussie law. You cannot be in office if you are a dual citizen or even eligible to be a citizen of another country. There was quite a bit of movement on this issue in the last year or do. Politicians having to resign.

example. If your grandparents were born in UK but you are born in oz. you are then not allowed to sit in parliament unless you rescind your right to uk citizenship.

Edited by Sujo

13 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

Trying to make race the issue is a form of deflection from the real problems like suicide, alcohol and domestic abuse, lower life expectancy and disproportional number of incarcerations...

They deserve better from a government that confiscated their lands and destroyed their way of living...

Not trying to be difficult but....aren't they personal choices? Their lands were not confiscated, Aboriginals traditionally had no concept of land ownership, it was only what they walked on and gathered food from, it's like owning part of the sky or part of the ocean!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sujo said:

example. If your grandparents were born in UK but you are born in oz. you are then not allowed to sit in parliament unless you rescind your right to uk citizenship.

You can't rescind your right to British citizenship.

• Sad 1

25 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You can't rescind your right to British citizenship.

www.gov.uk disagrees and provides guidance:

When you can give up your citizenship

You can only give up your British citizenship or status if either of the following apply:

- you already have another citizenship or nationality

- you’re going to get another citizenship or nationality after giving up your British citizenship or status

You must also be:

- aged 18 or over (unless you’re under 18 and married)

- of sound mind (unless it’s decided that it’s in your best interest)

1 hour ago, TPI said:

Not trying to be difficult but....aren't they personal choices? Their lands were not confiscated, Aboriginals traditionally had no concept of land ownership, it was only what they walked on and gathered food from, it's like owning part of the sky or part of the ocean!

The sky is infinite...countries are still arguing over oceans boundries.  The fact that native Australians did not put down property markers or fences to mark their land does not give the right for another country's people to come to their country and entirely decimate their way of life and make them undesirables in their own country...

They moved with the seasons...they had a harmonious relationship with nature...all that changed...you should be ashamed trying to defend this behavior...

• Haha 1

I really hope something can be done to end the crap about this in Australia, I have worked with, lived with and had many aboriginal friends over my years in Australia and have seen both sides of the argument. I have seen young girls between 12 and 15 offering blow jobs for $10(to give to their parents for more grog) while mum and dad sit in the gutter drinking from their bottles in paper bags(this was in Geelong, a large city in the early 2000's) but similar happens in many areas, when you tell them no they start calling you pretty crude names. Then you see the other side of the coin where they have well kept houses and are great neighbours, they have no hesitation helping you out if needed, people need to have personally seen and associated with these people to really understand what they are like. Unfortunately drinking is their big downfall, to see the way some live is pretty bad. When I was contracting in the outback I was welcomed by several aboriginals in the areas I was working in, they were great friends and I will never forget them, the full bloods I met were easy to associate with, it seems the more european blood in them the worse they tend to get. Australia has given the aboriginal people billions of dollars over the years to help improve their life style but again unfortunately the leaders squandered it without sharing it around to the ones that needed it, instead it was shared between family and friends to buy cars, boats and booze, hopefully the new leaders are more sincere and actually want this to bring change so the help they need is there for them

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

what f in shame! 

Indigenous people are still not recognized by their invades or captors! in Australia and we are at year 2019!

And Australia is a stern critic of human rights and recognition of human rights etc!

but they cannot even accept those real owners of those lands indigenous people in its constitution! hypocrites!

Indigenous people are the real owners of those land and actually they need to vote if they accept some descendants of western prisoners and other colonialists in Australia.

all those Australians, dont you feel ashamed?

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, Puchaiyank said:

They moved with the seasons...they had a harmonious relationship with nature...all that changed...you should be ashamed trying to defend this behavior...

I hope you are not a true environmentalist as much of the original vegetation in Australia has been destroyed by the aboriginal practice of burning. That has changed what were then native plants.

4 hours ago, seajae said:

I really hope something can be done to end the crap about this in Australia, I have worked with, lived with and had many aboriginal friends over my years in Australia and have seen both sides of the argument.

Yes seajae. If you have not lived with them, both in towns and in their communities, you have no idea of the situation yet many here comment on what they do not understand.

18 hours ago, Pique Dard said:

..why have they (arborigines) be given millions upon million of dollars...? if the country belongs to them, they are the ones who should/could give the money to the immigrants, am i wrong? is it normal that  a country is being ruled by the "foreigners" at the expense of the nationals?

The land never belonged to them, they are nomadic with many different languages. Many tribes that didnt get along. 

They do have claims to land rights under the Mabo decision. But they dont want the land, they want the money the settlers get out of the land. They also have unique hunting rights that settlers dont have. They also get preferred employment in the govt.