Tesco to open 750 more stores in Thailand

webfact

15 hours ago, the guest said:

Should just be called "lotus", nothing for foreigners !

Such an ignorant remark. I could fill the page listing their 'foreign-type' products, from Colgate toothpaste to Pepsi to ice cream to quality meat and fish products. I also like the way they refresh their offers of t-shirts etc, with new designs every 2-3 weeks. A clever way to keep people buying new.

On that subject, I'm puzzled how they can sell Campbells condensed soup for around 50 baht as it's imported from the USA. I also buy Heinz soup from a farang food supplier and that costs nearly twice as much.

58 minutes ago, bluesofa said:

Are they?

I can't say I've noticed any difference between the say, Lotus Express and 7 Eleven staff really. I haven't seen any using a cattle-prod so far anyway.

Supermarket and convenience stores are the only places in Thailand where I always get a smile these days.

Here in Pattaya we have two large Tesco stores one in N Pattaya is crap ,never have half the stuff in stock ,air con almost non existant ,and the one in S Pattaya which is much better run. also lots of the small Express stores ,usually next door too a 7/11 and family mart ,or where we live two 7/11s on opposite sides of the rd ,god knows how they all keep going .

15 hours ago, Sonhia said:

How many Thai know the origins of Tesco? If fact the origins of so many companies and products within Thailand! My guess would be, if asked, most if not all would reply 'Thai'....

And Thai claim to have never been colonised. REALLY!!! 

Looking around,  I can see so many non Thai products and companies integrated into Thai society. Funny to think how so many foreign companies are assisting so many Thai citizens with employment, earn a salary to hopefully better themselves and improve lifestyles, (cough) and yet foreigners, in the main, are disliked.  Could that be considered a paradox?

Good on you Tesco, a foreign company, for providing employment to Thai citizens. However, it's a pity foreigners are not shown an ounce of gratitude. 

Comparing the number of foreign buyers to the 15,000,000 customers per week, an ounce would probably be too much.

16 hours ago, Sonhia said:

How many Thai know the origins of Tesco? If fact the origins of so many companies and products within Thailand! My guess would be, if asked, most if not all would reply 'Thai'....

Looking around,  I can see so many non Thai products and companies integrated into Thai society. Funny to think how so many foreign companies are assisting so many Thai citizens with employment, earn a salary to hopefully better themselves and improve lifestyles, (cough) and yet foreigners, in the main, are disliked.  Could that be considered a paradox?

Good on you Tesco, a foreign company, for providing employment to Thai citizens. However, it's a pity foreigners are not shown an ounce of gratitude. 

For every job they create 

they destroy a small shop

hardly progress 

1 hour ago, prakhonchai nick said:

Reading all the above posts, it seems not many are happy with Tesco Lotus. Here in my town, we have had a large store for about a year now. Everything seems well priced, I regularly receive through the post many coupons for large discounts, and the staff are truly excellent. Always nice to customers, smiling and chatty. No complaints from me.

I have to agree that the staff in tesco are usually a lot more polite and hard workng when compared to some of the 7Eleven staff. Many times, i have been to 7seven, and all you can hear is the staff shouting across the shop to one another, swearing and gossiping at times too.  

15 minutes ago, sharpjwe said:

For every job they create 

they destroy a small shop

hardly progress 

On the plus side, in Tesco I pay the same as the Thai next to me.

In the local Mom and Pop shop and markets it's a crapshoot. Many times I've tried supporting local businesses and to show their thanks for supporting them, they've tried overcharging me.

• Like 1

I am all for supporting Thai local businesses, but many of the 'mom & pop' shops are nothing but gloomy caverns with shelves loaded with stock that may have been there for years. You have to know what you want before entering and of course you need to be able to speak some Thai.

Most smaller Thai towns are glad to have a choice of supermarkets, here in my town we have Makro, TOPS and 2 Tescos large & small. The centrally located 'wet-market' still does a roaring trade.

22 hours ago, bluesofa said:

Although it will be good news for Tesco, I'm sure here it will have same effect as it has in the UK:

Tesco having such huge buying power means that small local shops will be unable to compete and will close down.

Not good for the small independent retailer.

Bicester is one of the UK's best known Tesco-towns, operating six stores in a region with a population of 29,000.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco_Town#Bicester

They dont seem to compete so much on price still being considerably more expensive, where I live, than some smaller Thai owned supermarkets which preceded their arrival. Also most Thais are useless at maths and dont care what they spend until its gone, and they enjoy the better cleaner shopping experience that the likes of Tesco and 7/11 provide.

4 hours ago, Kaopad999 said:

I have to agree that the staff in tesco are usually a lot more polite and hard workng when compared to some of the 7Eleven staff. Many times, i have been to 7seven, and all you can hear is the staff shouting across the shop to one another, swearing and gossiping at times too.  

And in our cheap local Thai supermarket u have to climb over the unfriendly staff hiding in the back aisles sitting on the floor using their mobile phones....lol.

21 hours ago, NCC1701A said:

Dear Mister Lewis,

Please turn off that incredibly annoying Tesco Radio.

Thank you.

....And more signs and labeling in English please Mr Lewis! Ironically the English owned Tesco in my town is the only one where the aisle signs are not bi-lingual!

• Haha 1

On 7/10/2019 at 9:58 AM, bluesofa said:

Although it will be good news for Tesco, I'm sure here it will have same effect as it has in the UK:

Tesco having such huge buying power means that small local shops will be unable to compete and will close down.

Not good for the small independent retailer.

Bicester is one of the UK's best known Tesco-towns, operating six stores in a region with a population of 29,000.

source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tesco_Town#Bicester

So that will be why I see 7-11 shops everywhere then - in fact in HH there are umpteen of them within spitting ( sorry walking)  distance of big Tesco. They will not build them in villages and remote spots will they. But like UK ( even worse as now Brexit and pound increases prices even before the horror event) people have lots of choice and that's what free markets are about. 

Edited by peter48

No more please.....we have enough and your prices suck really bad...plus your branch managers are among the worst in the known universe for inventory control, out of stock situations and staff management. I went in on Monday morning.....no milk....I mean what supermarket runs out of milk? Not only that you cannot park anymore because they have rented off the car park to tradesmen selling dubious crap....monetising the car park what next?

It was a good, if expensive store.....now they've narrowed the aisles so you have to stand behind the Thai families gazing into space as one of them inspects the merchandise.

If there is really such a huge market here, as Mr Lewis says, why did Carrefour up and leave?  I shopped there regularly and there were plenty of customers along with a far better selection of food and household items than any Tesco I have been in.

On 7/10/2019 at 6:10 PM, Sonhia said:

Could that be considered a paradox?

No, I think it's called ignorance.

On 7/11/2019 at 7:52 PM, Pedrogaz said:

No more please.....we have enough and your prices suck really bad...plus your branch managers are among the worst in the known universe for inventory control, out of stock situations and staff management. I went in on Monday morning.....no milk....I mean what supermarket runs out of milk? Not only that you cannot park anymore because they have rented off the car park to tradesmen selling dubious crap....monetising the car park what next?

It was a good, if expensive store.....now they've narrowed the aisles so you have to stand behind the Thai families gazing into space as one of them inspects the merchandise.

Shop elsewhere?

I they are doing so well why have many stores empty shelves thats covered by fancy placards. They have stopped stocking many imported products, Tesco dark chocolate, Tesco, Garlic crackers, Tesco jams and at our local store they dont have basic meat cuts. There was a rumor earlier in the year that they have cashflow issues. If I look at them decreasing stock I think something is wrong. By opening small shops similar as 711 they are fighting a losing battle, Thais love 711.

Sent from my SM-A730F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

On 7/10/2019 at 6:10 PM, Sonhia said:

Looking around,  I can see so many non Thai products and companies integrated into Thai society.

had to show a Thai friend the history of Ford motors to get him to understand "Not Thai."

On ‎7‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:10 PM, Sonhia said:

Tesco Lotus is a Thai company, not a foreign company.  The UK's Tesco is a stakeholder.