Too much bubble tea 'can give you diabetes'

snoop1130

Too much bubble tea 'can give you diabetes'

By The Nation

800_221708a01c7bb5f.jpg

The Foundation for Consumers on Thursday warned people to control their consumption of boba/bubble milk tea due to a risk of diabetes.

The foundation said 92 per cent of the bubble tea brands available in Thailand carry sugar that is well above the recommended amount, and the “bubbles” contain a high level of food preservatives, though it is still within the legal amount. 

The results of the tests conducted by the foundation were published in Chalardsue magazine’s latest edition. 

Saree Ongsomwang, the foundation’s secretary-general, told reporters that only two brands maintained the 24 grams or six teaspoons of sugar recommended by the World Health Organisation for daily intake. The brands KOI The and TEA 65 had 16g and 22g per serving respectively. 

Brands that carry the highest amount of sugar are CoCo Fresh Tea & Juice with 74g, Moma’s Bubble Tea Bar with 68g and Formosa with 65g.

Source: https://www.nationthailand.com/news/30372795

logo2.jpg

-- © Copyright The Nation Thailand  2019-07-11

Aaaah! - the old "too much" routine by health "professionals" justifying their existence.

We've seen them all:

"Too much sun gives you cancer"

"Too much alcohol gives you brain damage" (some people I know are immune to this)

"Too much fish consumption gives you mercury poison"

"Too much Thai vegetables gives you pesticide poison"

"Too much spanking the monkey will send you blind"

I'm still alive, have to wear glasses, enjoy all sorts of food and no bits are falling off me yet - - - -

37 minutes ago, Lenny Jones said:

Aaaah! - the old "too much" routine by health "professionals" justifying their existence.

Can't disagree with them on this one. Only need to look around at obesity levels compared to what they were a generation ago, and this is extremely obvious in Thailand. I'm not about to give up my vices, but 70g of sugar in a drink should be illegal and the companies peddling this stuff need to brought into line. 

15 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

CoCo Fresh Tea & Juice with 74g, Moma’s Bubble Tea Bar with 68g and Formosa with 65g

That's a crazy amount of sugar to have in a single serving, especially since bubble tea can be downed very quickly.

BUT this is not very far from what you get in your average 500ml soda bottle.

1 hour ago, yokat said:

That's a crazy amount of sugar to have in a single serving, especially since bubble tea can be downed very quickly.

BUT this is not very far from what you get in your average 500ml soda bottle.

The picture posted seems to be showing single servings*.  Half a liter is not a serving.  There is more like 40 grams of added sugar in a can of coca cola.

On second look, they appear to be cardboard cutouts of servings.

3 hours ago, legend49 said:

So why are they licensed to sell it?

Do vendors really need a license to sell tea?

They would do well to have a low-sugar option or even a sugar-free one.  When I go to the fruit smoothie stand, I take my bottle of stevia syrup for her to use two squirts instead of the usual two big ladles-full of sugar syrup with drowned bees floating in it.  No more sugar-crashing for me now. Suclarose is also a good substitute.  

I bet they only count table sugar, the high fructose corn sirup liquid not included as it is supposed to not raise your blood glucose levels, but it only gives you fatty liver & the raise of fatty people in Thailand, which I did not see 20+ years ago

I can believe this - the amount of sugar syrup that goes into those Ochaya bubble teas is nothing to sneeze at.

Luckily, there are options to ask for reduced sugar -25%, -50%.

However, the majority would ask for more sugar, not less.

I recommend to all those "sugar addicted" to try a week with little of no sugar.

I used to drink lots of (original sweet) coke, had lots of sugar in my tea, etc.

And then I was diagnosed with diabetes.

I stopped drinking coke and similar sweet drinks.

And now I drink tea without sugar.

And surprising, at least for me, I don't miss it!

Before that I would have called myself coke (the drink) addicted. But obviously that was not the case.

Now, on very few occasions, I sip on a coke which my gf drinks. I am surprised how sweet it is and that I ever liked it. Now I wouldn't want to drink it anymore.

Just try!

Why only target this particular sugary drink?? It's been proven in study after study that drinking any of these drinks where sugar or its derivities are the second ingredient listed is going to cause diabetes and cancer. To the idiots who continue to slurp these poisons on a daily basis you are simply playing Russian Roulette with five bullets in the chamber. Of course these words simply fall on all too many deaf ears.

Sent from my CMR-AL19 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Can't disagree with them on this one. Only need to look around at obesity levels compared to what they were a generation ago, and this is extremely obvious in Thailand. I'm not about to give up my vices, but 70g of sugar in a drink should be illegal and the companies peddling this stuff need to brought into line. 

Why? no one make you drink the stuff,take and or smoke ,same with alcohol,drugs ,tobacco or coffee ,tea

5 minutes ago, digger70 said:

Why? no one make you drink the stuff,take and or smoke ,same with alcohol,drugs ,tobacco or coffee ,tea

Advertising companies have a damned good try at it, & are very successful in doing so.

Peer pressure, when one is younger does.

This place is sugar addictive.

Everyone and everywhere you go, but mostly females with those 1000 calorie sugar coffee drinks.

Carnation condensed milk like it is good for you is terrible loaded with sugar.

Then add sugar syrup and sugar water maybe a shot of coffee.

I think they have either been told it is all ok or are stupid really.

Fat and diabetes creators they should be outlawed....

3 hours ago, Lenny Jones said:

We've seen them all:

"Too much alcohol gives you brain damage" (some people I know are immune to this)

I'm still alive, have to wear glasses, enjoy all sorts of food and no bits are falling off me yet - - - -

Yeah, no need to follow any of the science malarky. ????

We've seen them all:

Yeah it's a surprise any of us are still alive. According to the medical pros I should have been dead at twenty

4 hours ago, Lenny Jones said:

We've seen them all:

You missed kissing too many girls will make your teeth fall out.

18 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

brands KOI The and TEA 65 had 16g and 22g per serving respectively. 

22g .! That's getting on for an ounce .. then there's the sugar they sprinkle on some of their nosebag as well .. Jeez all adds up during a day .. 

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I recommend to all those "sugar addicted" to try a week with little of no sugar.

I used to drink lots of (original sweet) coke, had lots of sugar in my tea, etc.

And then I was diagnosed with diabetes.

I stopped drinking coke and similar sweet drinks.

And now I drink tea without sugar.

And surprising, at least for me, I don't miss it!

Before that I would have called myself coke (the drink) addicted. But obviously that was not the case.

Now, on very few occasions, I sip on a coke which my gf drinks. I am surprised how sweet it is and that I ever liked it. Now I wouldn't want to drink it anymore.

Just try!

This is very true. It's also very easy to reduce and wean yourself off sugar, compared to say nicotine or alcohol. No need even to give anything up, just gradually cut back the sugar you add, until it no longer tastes good in any amount. I used to have a lot of sugar as a kid and in my teens, but after one year when I seemed to be having filling after filling at the dentist, I started reducing how much I added in my tea. I think it only took about two or three weeks until I'd cut it back from three teaspoons to half a teaspoon, and even that tasted sweet, so I cut it out altogether. That was when I was about 17, and I never got the taste back for adding sugar.

I definitely feel aggrieved that this is foisted on me whether I want it or not, so while I loathe nanny-statism, I wouldn't be unhappy if these drinks with huge amounts of sugar (as well as products with trans-fats etc) were to become so unacceptable socially as to be effectively illegal. 

2 hours ago, digger70 said:

Once the taste for it develops, food starts to taste wrong without it. Unfortunately the main victims of this are kids who are consuming vastly more sugar (and are fatter) than earlier generations, just because that's what's on the shelves. People on low incomes are also victims of this, they often have no choice except to buy the cheapest junk food on the shelves. 

6 hours ago, faraday said:

Advertising companies have a damned good try at it, & are very successful in doing so.

Peer pressure, when one is younger does.

No, they must have Soft Brains ,one can always say NO.    ????

4 hours ago, lamyai3 said:

Once the taste for it develops, food starts to taste wrong without it. Unfortunately the main victims of this are kids who are consuming vastly more sugar (and are fatter) than earlier generations, just because that's what's on the shelves. People on low incomes are also victims of this, they often have no choice except to buy the cheapest junk food on the shelves. 

Soft brains ,No excuse one always can say NO.     ????

I like those tea places but usually don't get bubbles. Sometime I do though. There are other options such as lattes, tea macchiatos, and cheese topped teas. I won't even order at the ones that don't have a sugar chart but sadly the ones with sugar charts are usually much more expensive.

Anyway, here's my beef.

Fairly often when you order less sugar (I do 25 percent but no sugar is an option too) they just give you full sugar anyway. A newbie might think wow if this is 25 percent sugar the full sugar must be insane but I can tell the difference.

While some people might complain about such errors, I generally just drink the mistakes and it does piss me off. It just seems like it would be too much drama to complain about something like that especially in the don't complain Thai culture. Also the staff might not believe you.

On the other hand if I ordered NO SUGAR and it was full sugar, I would complain. But even that is not so simple as the toppings will probably also have sugar in them. 

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Yes digger, of course digger, you're absolutely right.

Happy now?

????

1 minute ago, faraday said:

Yes digger, of course digger, you're absolutely right.

Happy now?

????

Cous I am   ????

Archived