Alcohol banned for 48 hours from midnight tonight - it's all about suffering!

webfact

6 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

Well, yes I was here well before 2015, but your reply seems to show you weren't. I can clearly recall the closing of pubs and bars for July Lent back as far as the early 2000's and I have photographic proof of it. When I was based in Phuket then, the Patpong bars would close. The bars in each soi in Bangla Road would form together and have their own special "Olympics" style events against the other soi bar teams.

So yes, actually, I was here well before 2015. Can you say the same?

I was here in 2009, and there was always ways to carry on drinking as usual - that's if you would want to..  

Just now, Inn Between said:

This gov't action must be embarrassing for Thais when they are forced to practice Buddhism. It basically and unfairly says, "We don't have good Buddhists here, so we must force them to obey Buddhist rules and threaten them with being put in jail for half a year if they choose not to follow Buddhist rules." 

I always thought that Thais were free to decide if they wanted to embrace Buddhism, practice another religion, or even be Atheists. I've never agreed with the union of gov't and religion, feeling that within reason, people should have the freedom to choose their religion and practice it in any manner that does not affect others negatively.

It must be surprising and annoying for foreigner tourists, who are clearly not Thai, to be told that they can't have a glass of wine with their dinner because the gov't has banned it for 48 hours.   

Let them drink Fanta, won't harm anyone to go without a drink for 48 hours unless your motto is "I can't drink as much as I would like to throw up"

3 hours ago, Farangwithaplan said:

I didn't say closing times. Context does not seem to be your strong point. I referred to the closing of the bars for the Lent holiday.

Gee, you have been coming here since the 70's and still haven't adapted to local customs. You still get irritated over 4 or 5 days per year that you can't buy alcohol.

I never get irritated. I just don't like hypocrisy. 

I remember when the U.S. military were stationed here. Never did they shutter the bars. That would have been too much money to give up. I don't care what the holiday was. 

8 hours ago, Pilotman said:

The Thais are, it's you that is out of step.  Their country, their rules.  

I'll bet they don't inform tourists... before they arrive, think about the bad reputation Thailand gets, when the tourists go home and tell their friends about no alcohol for 2 days... yes, I know you're going to say surely they can go without for 2 days, but hey, your living in a cave.

Edited by Aussie999
  • Like 2

Tomorrow is my birthday. In Thailand I would be celebrating indoors with no option to have a drink at some venue with friends. Glad I am not there and certainly feel for the tourists arriving expecting to enjoy a carefree holiday in paradise. 

11 minutes ago, Formaleins said:

It seems that their religion is so loved and deeply ingrained into their hearts and minds that it requires enforcement by their police force in order for it to be maintained. Very sad really

The army enforcers are the main controllers of the people. This state interference came with the junta.

1 minute ago, gomangosteen said:

Don't bother coming to NZ then, alcohol sales ban on various Christian days, Easter, Xmas, plus till 1pm on Anzac Day

It is amusing, or bemusing, that the same 'experts' on this forum come up with precisely the same whinges on every alcohol sales ban day.

Seriously, very misguided if you think anyone would miss you or your meagre ever-decreasing  pension contribution to Thailand.

I had no intention to visit New Zealand anyway but thanks for the tip which tells us the NZ government and its crazed PM are just as meddling and illogical as the Junta here.

• Sad 2

19 minutes ago, Spock said:

Tomorrow is my birthday. In Thailand I would be celebrating indoors with no option to have a drink at some venue with friends. Glad I am not there and certainly feel for the tourists arriving expecting to enjoy a carefree holiday in paradise. 

Think of the money you'd save ????

• Haha 2

33 minutes ago, cyril sneer said:

I remember my first booze day ban here, was a gateway to prescription drugs and have been on them ever since

That really begs the question; what about alcohol for medicinal or medical use. Bill Werbenak had a prescription for his lager. So even in a hall where no drinking was permitted, he could drink.