Stronger baht not keeping tourists away

snoop1130

5 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I don't know how to tell you but when an American, Canadian or Brit or Aussie comes to Thailand they change their money into baht.  3 years ago they were getting a lot more.  When I changed my money into baht $16k bought 800k baht.  Now it takes $25k.  All Western currencies (that I'm familiar with) buy less in Thailand because the baht is stronger then they are.  As a result of this people in America, Britain, Australia and Canada are buying less goods made in Thailand and Thai exports are down.  

Exporters are losing more money and importers are making more money.  Because the baht is strong and the pound and dollar are weak.  

2015 you could buy the same amount of gold with the Thai baht as you can today.  In pounds sterling much less today than 2015.  

More statements of the bleeding obvious. You're sounding like a broken record.

You are now saying the baht is strong......"Because the baht is strong".

Thank you!....... Isn't that what the topic is about. It is not about the strength or weaknesses of other currencies. Before that you were in denial of the baht being strong in an attempt to do a bit of trolling. Try and keep on topic.

Didn't you learn anything from the Bloomberg link I sent before or couldn't you understand it.

Over and out.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-03/-worried-thai-central-bank-looking-at-steps-to-damp-baht-surge

• Like 1

Standard operating procedure for Thai puyai.  Just keep repeating something that you and your audience know to be totally false.  The problem doesn't go away but you don't have to do anything about it and can avoid all responsibility. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I'm going to check out Vietnam later this year as a potential place to move to....I'm tired of the negativity toward foreigners, the discriminatory attitude over pricing, the over charging, the petty rules being introduced all the time by immigration and the fact that the corruption seems to be at an all time high. I earn in US dollars so the 'string baht has not really affected me yet, but I'm sure my money will go further in Vietnam than in Thailand.

Cambodia is better for you, their currency is US dollars so no exchange fees.

Their banking and ATMs all work in USD.

Vietnam, the further North you go, the more uptight they are but Saigon is very similar to Bangkok.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Pedrogaz said:

I'm going to check out Vietnam later this year as a potential place to move to....I'm tired of the negativity toward foreigners, the discriminatory attitude over pricing, the over charging, the petty rules being introduced all the time by immigration and the fact that the corruption seems to be at an all time high. I earn in US dollars so the 'string baht has not really affected me yet, but I'm sure my money will go further in Vietnam than in Thailand.

Please report back on your findings. I'm scouting around the world as well, any info helps. Should be a pinned thread, "Getting out of Dodge - where next?".

• Like 1

I never get involved in currency discussions, mainly because I earn money in Thailand and it's actually quite positive when I leave the country, but also because currency usually runs in cycles...

However, the GBP has dipped under 40 for the first time in 15 years, and indicators have it going lower. I can understand how that affects holiday makers, but also UK people that rely on pensions or investments from the UK.

I don't think there is any doubt that currency will affect people's decision to come to Thailand...but it hasn't been felt yet. Most visitors this month and in the next few months will have booked and paid months ago. It's the people making decisions today that will be felt in 2 or 3 months.

Screen Shot 2562-07-17 at 1.03.01 PM.png

Edited by DLock
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Sonhia said:

What are the numbers for those leaving Thailand? My guess is much higher than the figures arriving.

This morning whilst walking around the Royal Garden shopping mall in Pattaya city,  I was set upon and pysically attacked by a male Thai secruity quard!

I was so appalled by the actions of the attacker that I decided to call 191. The Thai Police arrived very quickly, they questioned the Thai male attacker and took him away to Soi 9 police station Pattay city. Although the Police were very polite and showed concern the fact of the matter is, I was attacked FOR NO REASON at all which implies to me that being a foreginer, I am not welcome.

I filed a complaint with both the Tourist police as well as the Thai Tourist Authority, but no action will be taken concerning my complaints.

My point is this, most Thai are clearly racist and what with the Thai baht being so strong, in a nut shell, no matter what is reported about tourist figures, Thailand is not such a good destination to visit anylonger.

Too Dangerous! Too expensive!

Seems to me, the only way to deal with these complaints is to go onto social media. The Thai authorities are very quick to launch a "real" investigation then.

17 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

I am 12,000 baht a month down on what I use to earn from the baht being strong. That is 12,000 baht a month less I spend now as I I do not bring in anymore to cover this short fall. I know plenty of Australians doing the same as me as in cutting spending. So in a essence, my local area in Mum and Dad's shops have lost that 12,000 from just me. Add a few more people to this all in per head count and yes, I do think Thailand is missing out. For the elite or the high earners here that get paid in baht it means nothing and there are a lot of them, but for the average Joe tourist, I think they are spending dollars elsewhere. Like I said before, I had my yearly holiday back in Australia and I actually saved money by going home. Buying luxury goods in Thailand is madness and to do that, you really need to be going somewhere else.

I concur with the above.  Since I have lived here I have normally made a monthly transfer of the baht equivalent of between GBP 1600 - 1700 per month.  At the current exchange rate, 38.5 GBP 1700 gets me just over THB 65000 per month, which fulfills the requirements of the latest edict relating to obtaining a visa extension on income. At 45.00 that was THB 76500 and at 55 that was THB 93500.  I have reduced my expenditure accordingly, so the Thai economy has lost that money and I don't play golf any more! Here's to hoping the rate doesn't drop too much more. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, moe666 said:

Thailand has always had a good summer holiday season due to people in weatern countries having school breaks and in the US that is the traditional holiday season as in I get time off from my job. As for the US not any hotter here in Thailand than in most of the US. At present here in CM there is a uptick in the summer school tours coming thru usually 3 to 5 days in CM then on to Bangkok or the Islands

Must be related to schools as you say as they have summer holidays. Working people tend to take holidays when they can and it's not always in the summertime. 

1 minute ago, from the home of CC said:

No, Thailand is still very reasonable in the off season, accommodations are often half price etc. It's the people who travel that have reduced funds to spend due to the economic climate and rate exchange.

Yes but only because the exchange rate is so bad. The tourist bringing in £1000 5 years ago would get a lot more baht than they are getting now. They still have the same funds but not the same buying power.

Does he really believe that? Of course many tourists look at comparable costs and budgets when deciding which country to visit for their holidays. It's a moderating influence, the strength of which depends on each person/family's financial situation and disposable income. The stronger the baht and the more costly Thailand is, the less the amount who can consider it for their holidays.

Add other issues such as safety, cleanliness and health, service levels, two tier pricing, etc etc and the "offering" starts to look less attractive to the market place.

Edited by Baerboxer
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Chelseafan said:

Yes but only because the exchange rate is so bad. The tourist bringing in £1000 5 years ago would get a lot more baht than they are getting now. They still have the same funds but not the same buying power.

I guess the U.K. is doing well then. Back where I'm from there are many lay offs with this latest economic downturn. There its just not the exchange rate that is causing people to cut back on all travel, it's also the uncertainty of whats around the corner. 

11 hours ago, Chelseafan said:

So what about those in transit ? What about those who are doing visa runs, what about those who make multiple trips in a year ? Are business people counted as tourists ? Are those who fly into Bangkok and then onto Phuket counted twice ? If a family arrives with 5 children and mum and dad, is this 7 tourists ? Are workers from surrounding countries counted as tourists?

Just a few "trick questions" that I would like answered.

There's a tick box section on the back of the TM6 arrival card. If I remember correctly there's 12 different boxes for 12 different reasons for coming into Thailand. One is 'Holiday.'

So each category is counted separately.

Every arrival needs a TM6, so yes a family of 7 having a holiday is 7 tourists.

57 minutes ago, Cadbury said:

More statements of the bleeding obvious. You're sounding like a broken record.

You are now saying the baht is strong......"Because the baht is strong".

Thank you!....... Isn't that what the topic is about. It is not about the strength or weaknesses of other currencies. Before that you were in denial of the baht being strong in an attempt to do a bit of trolling. Try and keep on topic.

Didn't you learn anything from the Bloomberg link I sent before or couldn't you understand it.

Over and out.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-03/-worried-thai-central-bank-looking-at-steps-to-damp-baht-surge

Check the currencies against a constant like Gold, or whatever and you will find the baht is static and the other currencies have gone down.  I don't know why you keep listing the bloomberg article it says the Baht is a safe haven currency like the dollar and Swiss Franc used to be and that's what I keep trying to tell you.  

22 minutes ago, hugh2121 said:

With the ever strengthening baht, imports are becoming cheaper and cheaper. However, retail prices remain the same. Seems like another Thai rip off to me.

True but for the average European tourist, what do they really purchase that is imported? Maybe a meal in a nice restaurant with a bottle of stupidly expensive wine but not much else I think. Maybe I'm wrong.

On the flip side, Thailands economy accounts for 60%+ of exports. This is where they are hurting most especially as they export far more than they import (hence the trade surplus).

28 minutes ago, Traubert said:

There's a tick box section on the back of the TM6 arrival card. If I remember correctly there's 12 different boxes for 12 different reasons for coming into Thailand. One is 'Holiday.'

So each category is counted separately.

Every arrival needs a TM6, so yes a family of 7 having a holiday is 7 tourists.

If that's true then it's not very scientific and completely open to abuse.

So a family of 7 only has 2 of which have buying power.

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Chelseafan said:

True but for the average European tourist, what do they really purchase that is imported? Maybe a meal in a nice restaurant with a bottle of stupidly expensive wine but not much else I think. Maybe I'm wrong.

On the flip side, Thailands economy accounts for 60%+ of exports. This is where they are hurting most especially as they export far more than they import (hence the trade surplus).

I'm buying decent Australian wine for under 400 baht at Lotus and seems to me the imported cheese and butter is a bit down or at least not up.  Bought a cheap Chinese phone for peanuts Xiaome Note 7.

39 minutes ago, from the home of CC said:

I guess the U.K. is doing well then. Back where I'm from there are many lay offs with this latest economic downturn. There its just not the exchange rate that is causing people to cut back on all travel, it's also the uncertainty of whats around the corner. 

Yes, you're right but that can be said for any country who have citizens being laid off. Simply put there are better and cheaper options for travel these days other than Thailand.

Surprisingly, the UK IS doing well according to latest statistics, employment has never been higher, average wage growth is up although it might not feel like it in certain part of the country.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Skallywag said:

IMO - Pattaya and Bangkok are just ridiculously Overbuilt. 

The number of new hotels they built (and condos that are now being used as hotels through AirBNB) in the last 20 years just means that all hotels are getting less customers.

Must be the wealthy investors who can afford to lose billions of baht building 4-5 star hotels that will never turn a profit  - other than a few months during high season.

I have lived in and around Pattaya for 15 years and it's always been like that.  I think there is major Chinese money coming in to build and buy.  I think they have a gray market banking system or the guys with money wrapped around their legs.