PM Prayut speaks out! No more ripping off of tourists - it's bad for Thailand's wonderful image

webfact

8 minutes ago, nickstav said:

Respectfully, why do accept dual pricing by the government?

National parks and monuments are part of the national trust which should be made accessible to all Thais regardless of their station in life. A disproportionate share of the cost to maintain these properties is placed on visitors to the Kingdom in order to subside the price of admission for Thais. This is done so that admission fees remain low enough so as to not exclude admission to Thais with even the humblest of means. A further rationale used to justify the dual pricing is that most foreigners enjoy on average a higher per capita income than Thais. While I fully understand complaints about discriminatory pricing, there are many examples of preferential pricing for residents around the world, such as in-state tuition at many US schools. In the end, even though I'm not crazy about the policy, I accept Thailand's right to do this if they so choose.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

23 minutes ago, shady86 said:

He forgot to mentioned that immigration has ripped of a lot of long term visa holders with TM30.

I don't think tourists go to immigration.  So, it's OK to rip off expats.  Not that many of them.  40,000,000 tourists and you only need to take 20 baht per to make a good payday but expats one needs much more per person.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

16 minutes ago, cmsally said:

The support of a separate rule of ethics for government and personal entities is somewhat problematic.

That's not exactly an apples-to-apples ethical situation.

In the case of the government's dual pricing, it can be argued that the government is doing this not to discriminate against foreigners, but to ensure that access to national parks and monuments is maintained for the benefit of the largest number of Thai people possible. In other words, it is being done for the common good of the Thai people.

In contrast, a street vendor gouging a foreign tourist is only doing so out of the self-interest of making a profit. He is not doing it for any higher social purpose. 

I believe this is what distinguishes the two activities from one other, and makes one ethically defensible and the other less so.

Edited by Gecko123
  • Like 1

very strange turn - the last time, some 3 years ago, he condemned raped on the death island (koh tao) english girl, for wearing swimming costume as a cause for her ordeal. 

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/asia/thailand-beach-murders-thai-pm-suggests-attractive-female-tourists-cannot-expect-to-be-safe-in-9737016.html 

looks, like economic slowdown is making him thinking twice about free dollar from tourists. He needs more tanks, submarines, guns and explosive detectors

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2019-07-18/world-beating-baht-is-a-big-big-headache-for-thailand-s-tourism

Edited by londonthai
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

That's not exactly an apples-to-apples ethical situation.

In the case of the government's dual pricing, it can be argued that the government is doing this not to discriminate against foreigners, but to ensure that access to national parks and monuments is maintained for the benefit of the largest number of Thai people possible. In other words, it is being done for the common good of the Thai people.

In contrast, a street vendor gouging a foreign tourist is only doing so out of the self-interest of making a profit. He is not doing it for any higher social purpose. 

I believe this is what distinguishes the two activities from one other, and makes one ethically defensible and the other less so.

Of course a street vendor could argue that you are subsidising cheap meals for the local Thai population .

• Like 1