Brit expat behind bars for attacking Phuket dog

Jonathan Fairfield

Brit expat behind bars for attacking Phuket dog

p1.jpg

Mervyn Harding, a British expat living in Rawai, has been charged with animal cruelty and three forms trespass for attacking a dog near Phuket’s Nai Harn Beach. Photo: Chalong Police (blurred at police request)

PHUKET: A 43-year-old British national is behind bars at Phuket Provincial Court after being charged by Chalong Police for animal cruelty after he was caught on CCTV attacking a dog with a metal rod in the early minutes of Tuesday morning (July 16).

Mervyn Harding, a British expat living in Rawai, has been charged with animal cruelty and three forms trespass, including trespass while carrying a weapon and trespass onto private property at night, Capt Weerayut Tanyasirisukvorakul of the Chalong Police told The Phuket News today (July 18).

Police action over the attack came on Tuesday after Chalong Police Chief Col Therdthoon Sroisukphaphan ordered Chalong Police Deputy Chief Lt Col Sanan Janrong to investigate videos posted online showing a foreign man attacking a dog in from of a massage shop near Nai Harn Beach.

Full story: https://www.thephuketnews.com/brit-expat-behind-bars-for-attacking-phuket-dog-72188.php#reFCPScbTl3UROT4.99

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-07-18

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 minutes ago, KittenKong said:

The best bit of the story can be found in the full version:

“His wife (sic) begged me to have her husband deported, but that is up to Phuket Immigration,” he said."

Well he probably hits others if he goes after a dog like that.

31 minutes ago, RJRS1301 said:

Well he probably hits others if he goes after a dog like that.

From the fact pattern provided, it's a pretty clear case of premeditated dog assault and battery. Had he acted in the heat of the moment as his dog was being attacked, he would have a defense. But, he later sought out the offending dog after a cooling down period and intentionally and with malice aforethought exacted revenge. 

I can't help but wonder what the cops would have done if it was a local who had beaten the dog? I can't help but suspect a 500-1,000 baht fine, a wai and on his way. There have after all been many animal cruelty stories here and I don't recall any getting this treatment, even though I have to say the fella absolutely deserves it.

3 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

it's a pretty clear case of premeditated dog assault and battery. 

You mean premeditated animal cruelty?

4 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Had he acted in the heat of the moment as his dog was 

A man in heat as well as the dog is usually something for the police. ???? 

Just now, aqua4 said:

You mean premeditated animal cruelty?

A man in heat as well as the dog is usually something for the police. ???? 

I was attempting some humor at this ridiculous story. Obviously this was animal cruelty, but dogs have no rights as humans do in most places except here.

1 minute ago, CLS said:

In civilized countries a trespassing results in a fine, surely no jail sentence.

TIT - what are retarded society

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Trespassing to beat a dog with a metal rod, just  the sort of human you would invite to table.

what a laugh- 'animal cruelty' in a country where cock fighting is legal (and they DO use blades) where animals like pigs are kept in appalling conditions and where they are quite happy to let millions of soi dogs wander about in various states of decay, and where even the house dogs are banged up like prisoners rarely taken out. We all know why dogs have special status and it's not religion.

4 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I can't help but wonder what the cops would have done if it was a local who had beaten the dog? I can't help but suspect a 500-1,000 baht fine, a wai and on his way. There have after all been many animal cruelty stories here and I don't recall any getting this treatment, even though I have to say the fella deserves it.

Locals are taught to grovel from a very early age. They're far more adept at it than foreigners whom miss out on such teachings, which usually incurs use of a stick.

A few baht extra is a small price to pay.

17 minutes ago, darksidedog said:

I can't help but wonder what the cops would have done if it was a local who had beaten the dog? I can't help but suspect a 500-1,000 baht fine, a wai and on his way.

I think the police try to protection the wife. He is the crazy guy. Safety first.

“His wife (sic) begged me to have her husband deported, but that is up to Phuket Immigration,” he said.”

Black panther (thai) guy get more trouble than 500-1000 baht and the wai also. 

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

“His wife (sic) begged me to have her husband deported, but that is up to Phuket Immigration,” he said."

Well, you would like to think she said that so he wouldn't get to serve a jail sentence in Thailand.

But the more you think about it, and his previously reported outbreaks of violence........

Plus he supports Plymouth Argyle so who gives a flying fart. ????

The original post concerning this referenced a report stating this guy had been fined for aggressiveness towards a woman - threatening I guess. Could have been the massage owner shop owner and this is the escalation, but nevertheless I hope the authorities honor the spouses request and get rid of this POS.  

1 hour ago, KittenKong said:

With him out the way, she can liquidate all the assets and disappear.

1 hour ago, KiChakayan said:

Poor sod, another victim of Dogxit.

Which could easily turn into a Thaixit for the cruel animal beating guy whose wife wants him deported.

That's indeed not gentlemen like to walk into other peoples' places and beat the owner's dog. The dog seems to live there, so its of course protecting the owner.

If a foreigners then means he can walk his dog at a bar, it's the foreigner's fault alone if the dogs start to be cruel to each other. 

Would he have done that to my dog because his dog had a problem with mine, I'd beat the shi_e out of him, without being cruel to him. 

Raises the question how nice he was to his wife?

Merv, what did you do that they wanna get rid off you and want you to go? 

The photo is from better times with less hate, perhaps more money? Might be one of his wives, photo is nine years old. 

Merv Harding.jpg

13 minutes ago, lahgon29 said:

He should have rammed a car with uni students in, and killed 10 of them instead of making a dog suffer. Community service and marriage to a legislator would have been his punishment.

Luckily he wasn't picking wild mushrooms at the time, as well. That could have been 30 years. 

I see, you hate dogs. This guy had no rights to do such a stunt. No matter how much he loves his dog. 

Archived