Directed To Those Of Us Who Cannot Speak Perfect Thai

Mumbo Jumbo

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sia maan yaat

OK..... how about a translation please.......or write it in Thai so we can really see what you are romanizing :o

Never heard anything like that.

If I were having a good day, I'd say 'rak(sa) marayaat noi'. รักษ์มารยาทน้อย note 'rak' doesn't mean love here.

A slightly less good day, 'rawang kam pood noi'.

A bad day, 'rawang bpaak noi', 'ow ma awk jaak bpaak noi'.

It depends so much on the situation and the tone used.

Don't try to be clever like I did once. There was a guy who was shouting at his mates whilst at the wheel of his car trying to get out of mud. One suggested that they change positions to which I said(to try and show off) ผู้ดีตีนแดง ตะแคงตีนเดิน "poo dee dtin daeng dta kang dtin dern" He was not amused, in fact very pissed.

poo dee - aristocrat

dtin daeng - soft, pink feet that have never done any work.

dta kang dtin dern - walk on the sides of the feet because of sirty ground

All together it can be quite an offensive insult, but I thought I'd throw it in as it seemed relevant.

Edited by Neeranam

My butter wouldn't melt in her mouth, always smiling thai teacher :o told me of an occasion where some waitresses in Khonkaen asked her to speak English to a guy they couldn't understand. I think he told her to f*** off or something similar to which he received a hit on the head with two pool balls followed by a glass bottle. Said drunk later returned to appologize after they had stitched him up at the local hospital. Why would anyone argue with a Thai?

Said drunk later returned to appologize after they had stitched him up at the local hospital. Why would anyone argue with a Thai?

Yeah, makes more sense to appologise after they've hit you over the head with a bottle and some pool balls. :o

Why would anyone argue with a Thai? Many reasons.

Generally though if you are in a foriegn land, your best to stay out of any confrontation as you don't have the home advantage.

Not easy being a doormat though.

sia maan yaat

OK..... how about a translation please.......or write it in Thai so we can really see what you are romanizing :o

Never heard anything like that.

If I were having a good day, I'd say 'rak(sa) marayaat noi'. รักษ์มารยาทน้อย note 'rak' doesn't mean love here.

A slightly less good day, 'rawang kam pood noi'.

A bad day, 'rawang bpaak noi', 'ow ma awk jaak bpaak noi'.

It depends so much on the situation and the tone used.

Don't try to be clever like I did once. There was a guy who was shouting at his mates whilst at the wheel of his car trying to get out of mud. One suggested that they change positions to which I said(to try and show off) ผู้ดีตีนแดง ตะแคงตีนเดิน "poo dee dtin daeng dta kang dtin dern" He was not amused, in fact very pissed.

poo dee - aristocrat

dtin daeng - soft, pink feet that have never done any work.

dta kang dtin dern - walk on the sides of the feet because of sirty ground

All together it can be quite an offensive insult, but I thought I'd throw it in as it seemed relevant.

I have never heard it but once or twice ever... UNLESS the person is saying มรรยาท (maanyaat) - being a word that means the same as มารยาท (marayaat).... my guess is the person is either VERY old (read:ancient) or looked it up in the dictionary somewhere as it is not a common usage in any circle.

Finally someone who will write it in Thai along with the romanization. Thanks

I have never heard it but once or twice ever... UNLESS the person is saying มรรยาท (maanyaat) - being a word that means the same as มารยาท (marayaat).... my guess is the person is either VERY old (read:ancient) or looked it up in the dictionary somewhere as it is not a common usage in any circle.

I'd guess that the person is learning to read Thai and misread มารยาท.

I'd guess that the person is learning to read Thai and misread มารยาท.

Could be..... the variation มรรยาท does exist if you want to try and find it Blow that dust off and you may find it....hang on while I find my specs! :o:D

At least someone tries to read - says something for them. Maybe it is one less person that says 'falang' (like nails on a blackboard) when it should be 'farang'

มรรยาท could possibly mean ettiquette rather than manners - or are these the same??

I seem to recall seeing that word somewhere in a Buddhism book - must have been a Buddhadassa one, perhaps it means 'bad manners' rather than just 'manners'??

Edited by Neeranam

มรรยาท could possibly mean ettiquette rather than manners - or are these the same??

I seem to recall seeing that word somewhere in a Buddhism book - must have been a Buddhadassa one, perhaps it means 'bad manners' rather than just 'manners'??

I have been trying to research it ... best I can get is that it is an old 'ancient' usage with a similar meaning... "more of the original sanskrit usage" but hardly if ever found or used anymore.

Any other takes?

Can you name something that works in EVERY situation.. I think not. You can have your gutter Thai if you like... whatever works for you. People are not the same and you are certainly different than I. :D

Well, i would then not go around here and give advice on potentially dangerous situations that if followed by readers, could get in the wrong situation a person into even more trouble. Snotty "proper" Thai is good for many situations, but during a conflict with the wrong people it can even further aggravate them.

That shouldn't be rocket science.

Let me see... though not rocket science... in my 40 years in Thailand I have never been accosted or gotten into a fight or any other altercation when telling someone their manners were not good. In fact, more times than not I am met with a sheepish embarrassed smile and if a group is involved the other members of the group rib the mannerless goof and tease them to the point of where I am embarassed for them. Most just walk away.

I will give advice on things I know and have experience with. It is up to the individual to take or leave any advice given and up to their intelligence to be able to utilize it in the proper situation. You can say anything you want in a 'snotty' way - I never made that insinuation - you did. Decent, proper Thai will win out over cursing or slinging insults in gutter Thai slang IMHO. But if you find you like it ... go for it. That shouldn't be rocket science.

40 years in Thailand and asking questions like the one below? Give me a break! :o

Can a Non - Imm B Visa be extended, renewed or otherwise had in Thailand or does it require leaving the country?

40 years in Thailand and asking questions like the one below? Give me a break! :o
Can a Non - Imm B Visa be extended, renewed or otherwise had in Thailand or does it require leaving the country?

He might be Thai, or since a few decades on permanent residence. A few decades ago there was a time when lifelong work permits and permanent residence visas were given out relatively easy. I have a few acquaintances who were lucky enough to get that.

He might be Thai, or since a few decades on permanent residence. A few decades ago there was a time when lifelong work permits and permanent residence visas were given out relatively easy. I have a few acquaintances who were lucky enough to get that.

There could be all manner of of reasons why someone could spend 40 years in Thailand, speak fluent Thai, and not be aware of the rules regarding the renewal of non- immigrant visas.

His knowledge (or lack) of the mysterious workings of Thai immigration is simply not relevant to this thread.

There's no point in speaking unless you can improve on silence. An old language teacher gave me the best advice - learn exactly what it means before you speak. And if they don't want to hear, then you have studied the wrong language for nothing. Go back to the school of life.

There's no point in speaking unless you can improve on silence. An old language teacher gave me the best advice - learn exactly what it means before you speak. And if they don't want to hear, then you have studied the wrong language for nothing. Go back to the school of life.

Well said. I will not in fact wrestle with pigs.... I will get just as dirty and besides - the pigs enjoys it.

There have been what I call "moments" when I would have given

A lot to be totally fluent in the Thai language, just to be able to

Tell the person in front of me, who has given bad service, or told an out right lie Etc,

just what I think of them...

I think you get my meaning, this is not meant as a criticism, just an observation

And a personal comment, I am trying to learn Thai, but and here's the point of my post, which is directed to those of us who cannot speak perfect Thai, if you could

Do you think it would get you into big trouble, being able to vent your thoughts

To the person who has in some way made you wish you could speak Thai, My Thai wife is constantly telling me, if I could speak perfect Thai I would get my self into

Big trouble …? Do you think you would too…?

Mumbo

I've been here for 18 months and my Thai is ok, you won't get in any trouble if you speak to people the way you would like to be spoken to!! Please don't use serton words in the English way as they are very BAD in Thailand when spoken in Thai. My freind just be a lover and respect all!!

Mumbo

I've been here for 18 months and my Thai is ok, you won't get in any trouble if you speak to people the way you would like to be spoken to!! Please don't use serton words in the English way as they are very BAD in Thailand when spoken in Thai. My freind just be a lover and respect all!!

Quite right mumbo, and welcome. My Thai is minimal but I have as much as I need to be civil. :o