TM.30: Immigration chief tells foreigners: Report where you are and who is staying with you

rooster59

13 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

Last time I flew in, I got the idea of dropping straight in at CW with the missus to do the TM30, as it is near enough to Don Meuang. She made the mistake of telling them that we had just arrived and they told her we actually had to go home first - in other words, we had to get a taxi 90 minutes across town to where have been living for years, open the door, step in, step out again, take a taxi back 90 minutes to CW, then no problem.

I love this place.

I hear there is an Android app over which one can do the TM30 but I heard also that was just a front end for the hotel website, and I understand only hotels can register to use that. There is no app called Section 38 in any case.

Until there is an actual working online system for ordinary users, we shall be doing the TM30 by post. I'm not going to bother reading any more of this thread.

And you actually went home and took a picture of you opening the door and stepping inside, before heading back, didn't you? 

Or did you go to the nearest coffee shop for a calming cup of coffee before heading back into the IO, and trying again?

• Replies 697
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, greeneking said:

Article 37

48 hour

NOTIFY relevant officer everytime he/she needs to travel to different province for more than 24 hrs.

From the actual Act:

Section 37 : An alien having received a temporary entry permit into the Kingdom must comply with the following:

4. If the alien travels to any province and will stay there longer than twenty – four hours, such alien must notify the police official of the police station for that area within forty – eight hours from the time of arrival.

https://www.refworld.org/docid/46b2f9f42.html

Even allowing for dodgy translation, that to me says if you are outside your normal province you have 48 hours to report to the relevant authorities in that province, not have to give 48 hours notice to your normal province that your going visiting. If someone is just going to jump in the car and head off, stopping for the night wherever takes their fancy it's impossible to comply with the distorted way it's being portrayed on here. I know, this is TiT, but give them some credit.

This immigration anti-westerner nonsense is getting more hysterical by the day.  However, anyone who has been able to see how dismal the education is in Thailand, and understand the lack of world events the average Thai is unaware of, one can more understand how some of these people move up through the ranks, and actually make decisions that can effect thousands of westerners living in Thailand.  

It even suprises me more about how many western apologist there are on this web site, who actually believe this anti-western attitude immigration projects is acceptable.  There is one prolific poster who brags about how great immigration is and how easy it is for him to get his one year visa extension in 12 minutes, lol.  

It even gets better when he talks about what a great idea the 800,000 baht deposit is and how he enjoys the interest this 800,000 baht generates yearly.  The people who actually bought into this 800,000 baht immigration debacle knows they only earn a little over two thousand baht a year on this so called investment.   

This immigration anti-westerner nonsense is getting more hysterical by the day.  However, anyone who has been able to see how dismal the education is in Thailand, and understand the lack of world events the average Thai is unaware of, one can more understand how some of these people move up through the ranks, and actually make decisions that can effect thousands of westerners living in Thailand.  

It even suprises me more about how many western apologist there are on this web site, who actually believe this anti-western attitude immigration projects is acceptable.  There is one prolific poster who brags about how great immigration is and how easy it is for him to get his one year visa extension in 12 minutes, lol.  

It even gets better when he talks about what a great idea the 800,000 baht deposit is and how he enjoys the interest this 800,000 baht generates yearly.  The people who actually bought into this 800,000 baht immigration debacle knows they only earn a little over two thousand baht a year on this so called investment.   
Why is it anti-westerner? All foreigners have to be reported, not just westerners. Moreover, the responsibility to report is usually for a Thai hotel owner or landlord.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, Gumballl said:

My wife read the original article (linked in the OP) that is in Thai. She insists that since I am her husband, and that I am registered in the Tambien Baan (i.e. Blue Book), I do not need to complete the TM 30. It will be interesting to see if the BiB and/or IO agrees with her.

2 hours ago, Gumballl said:

See my previous post. Maybe if you are listed in the house Blue Book you do not have to jump through these hurdles.

From this, then you must have PR status, as these are the only foreigners that are allowed (and must) to be registered in the Tabien Baan, in which case you would not be required to do a TM30.

Whether or not you must submit if you have a Yellow book is subjective, as has been discussed many times.

From this, then you must have PR status, as these are the only foreigners that are allowed (and must) to be registered in the Tabien Baan, in which case you would not be required to do a TM30.
Whether or not you must submit if you have a Yellow book is subjective, as has been discussed many times.
No, every foreigner living here has the right to a yellow tabian baan by law, PR holders to a blue. Only difference is the color, functions are the same.

https://xpat.life/thailand/tabien-baan

One of the not enforced laws because they enforce only laws against us, not protecting us.

Sent from my LYA-L29 using Tapatalk

1 hour ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Why is it anti-westerner? All foreigners have to be reported, not just westerners. Moreover, the responsibility to report is usually for a Thai hotel owner or landlord.

Ahh, one of the apologist.  If you are unable to figure this out, I can be of no help to you.  Sorry, but thanks for asking.

3 hours ago, Artisi said:

And you actually went home and took a picture of you opening the door and stepping inside, before heading back, didn't you? 

Or did you go to the nearest coffee shop for a calming cup of coffee before heading back into the IO, and trying again?

I told her to go back in and start crying - give them a sob story about how long it takes to get all the way across Bangkok, being penned in by the MRT works etc. It worked.

To be honest I think they were trying to get rid of her because it was mid-afternoon and they were winding the clocks.

Not a classic anecdote, I admit.

9 minutes ago, JamesBlond said:

I told her to go back in and start crying - give them a sob story about how long it takes to get all the way across Bangkok, being penned in by the MRT works etc. It worked.

To be honest I think they were trying to get rid of her because it was mid-afternoon and they were winding the clocks.

Not a classic anecdote, I admit.

Not sure your story and mine are indicative that Thai immigration is feeling the heat and trying to ease up a bit on enforcement on Thai citizens on this issue but here is my related story.

I returned from an overseas trip to Bangkok Sunday night. I stayed overnight in Bangkok. I returned back to our home in another province on Monday. My wife, owner of our house, was too tired to run to immigration to report me on TM30, so waited until this morning. She told me upon returning that the immigration officer had asked her when I returned to our house. My wife told her, and she said good, remember, it's 24 hours from the time he returns to your house, not the country. No fine. She then assisted to "help" my wife by advising her she always tell "he arrived within the last 24 hours to my house."

She then went on to explain how immigration is applying a dual standard fining system, where Thais will pay less, and no more than the 800 maximum fine. So, if true, that is another interesting addition to the story - introduction of dual pricing in fine structures in an attempt to make it easier on non-complying Thais.

50 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

Not sure your story and mine are indicative that Thai immigration is feeling the heat and trying to ease up a bit on enforcement on Thai citizens on this issue but here is my related story.

I returned from an overseas trip to Bangkok Sunday night. I stayed overnight in Bangkok. I returned back to our home in another province on Monday. My wife, owner of our house, was too tired to run to immigration to report me on TM30, so waited until this morning. She told me upon returning that the immigration officer had asked her when I returned to our house. My wife told her, and she said good, remember, it's 24 hours from the time he returns to your house, not the country. No fine. She then assisted to "help" my wife by advising her she always tell "he arrived within the last 24 hours to my house."

She then went on to explain how immigration is applying a dual standard fining system, where Thais will pay less, and no more than the 800 maximum fine. So, if true, that is another interesting addition to the story - introduction of dual pricing in fine structures in an attempt to make it easier on non-complying Thais.

Interesting. Presumably they know it's impossible for anyone to prove what time they arrived back home, so they are prepared to just take our word for it. On the other hand, it's a bit scary that they are actually counting the hours. 

Ahh, one of the apologist.  If you are unable to figure this out, I can be of no help to you.  Sorry, but thanks for asking.
Why am I an apologist? Perhaps you think the only people affected by this ridiculous TM30 rule are westerners. Well, they're not. Try and avoid generalisations that don't help anyone.

4 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

Or a friend's house, in-laws house, girl friends house etc, all of whom have no reference to or need to have anything to do with immigration until the foreigner came along, and unless told by said foreigner are liable to be fined for not reporting the foreinger, and then of course on your return your return must be notified. 

No it's just Westeners who are effected, but Thaivisa is normally used by Westeners, hence the reference to Westeners. 

Or a friend's house, in-laws house, girl friends house etc, all of whom have no reference to or need to have anything to do with immigration until the foreigner came along, and unless told by said foreigner are liable to be fined for not reporting the foreinger, and then of course on your return your return must be notified. 
No it's just Westeners who are effected, but Thaivisa is normally used by Westeners, hence the reference to Westeners. 
My wife is Laotian so certainly not a westerner but she is treated just the same by Immigration as I am. I very much doubt foreigners from Japan, Korea, India, China and other non-western countries get treated any better. Africans are generally treated worse. Westerners still don't need a visa and get free entry to Thailand. Most non-westerners don't.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

2 hours ago, brewsterbudgen said:

My wife is Laotian so certainly not a westerner but she is treated just the same by Immigration as I am. I very much doubt foreigners from Japan, Korea, India, China and other non-western countries get treated any better. Africans are generally treated worse. Westerners still don't need a visa and get free entry to Thailand. Most non-westerners don't.

Sent from my SM-A500F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Oop's, ????--my bad, I meant to say, "it's not just Westeners"....... 

Im off again tomorow to see stepdaughter with the Mrs

Day 1  overnight Korat Hotel, no probs

Day 2  Overnight in my Stepdaughters rented Condo in BKK, problem for condo owner. 

Day 3 stay with Stepdaughters friends parents in there owned house in BKK, problem for Stepdaughters friends parents.

Day 4 back to Stepdaughters rented condo, problem for Condo owner.

Day 5 Korat Hotel overnight, no problem.

Day 6 arrive home.

Day 7 wife has to take 1/2 day from work ( government ) to do TM30

Day8  what the hell am i doing all this for because 2 days ago i did a 90 day report.

My friend lives in thailand. A month ago i went to visit. We did a little road trip, booked rooms in a hotel for 3 nights.

After 1st night went to visit other friend and drank too much so booked a hotel for the night. Then back to original hotel next day.

Wonder if imm will be confused he supposedly stayed at 2 different hotels on the same night.

No Immigration only see the last reported place of residence on their computer.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

8 hours ago, Almer said:

Im off again tomorow to see stepdaughter with the Mrs

Day 1  overnight Korat Hotel, no probs

Day 2  Overnight in my Stepdaughters rented Condo in BKK, problem for condo owner. 

Day 3 stay with Stepdaughters friends parents in there owned house in BKK, problem for Stepdaughters friends parents.

Day 4 back to Stepdaughters rented condo, problem for Condo owner.

Day 5 Korat Hotel overnight, no problem.

Day 6 arrive home.

Day 7 wife has to take 1/2 day from work ( government ) to do TM30

Day8  what the hell am i doing all this for because 2 days ago i did a 90 day report.

Yes agree.

Just did 10 days in Isan, TM-30 for staying at the family home.

No way, immigration can get stuffed for that 10 day period. 

What a load of rubbish it all is.

The people who actually bought into this 800,000 baht immigration debacle knows they only earn a little over two thousand baht a year on this so called investment.

If you're going to hype the perceived problem, at least try and be accurate.

I can put my 800k into a Bangkok Bank fixed deposit account earning 1.625%. To do this I would move money from a maturing CD account in the US, which, if reinvested for another year, would earn 2.04% (one year CD at USAA). Thus, the difference is 3320 baht ($107@31 baht), i.e., the opportunity cost of moving the dollar equivalent of 800k baht to a Thai fixed account. But, being in the 22% tax bracket, Uncle Sam gets $24 of this $107. Now, opportunity cost is down to $83. But, now I don't have to waste half a day at the US Consulate getting an income statement, which costs $50. Now, opportunity cost is down to $33, plus no wasted time at the Consulate. So, in cash terms alone, the new immigration policy of "show me the money and not some BS income statement" is the equivalent of about three-fourths of a rib eye steak at Duke's. 

And tying the money up forever in a CD or equivalent account is part of my capital preservation plan as I age -- and on what side of the ocean it's parked is all the same to me.

So, yeah, the subject of this thread -- TM30's -- is a valid gripe against Thai Immigration. But adding in the gripe about Immigration being "anti-Westerner" by asking to see your money -- is quite a stretch.

23 hours ago, Mattd said:

You are correct.

This morning I checked my wife's Blue Book. To my surprise (maybe I shouldn't be?), I am NOT listed in the book. [Note to myself: never listen to Thai wife again on matters of immigration.]

That being said, I was told this morning by uncle of the family that works at the Amphur that I will be able to apply for the Yellow Book once I establish my domicile here in Thailand. That won't be for another 6-10 years. Even though I am over 50 y.o., I am not foolish/ready to retire yet.

As this will probably be my last visit to Thailand for quite some years to come, I suppose I have plenty of time to do some more research. God knows I need to.

Anyhow, I do apologize if I lead any other members astray with my previous posts.

13 minutes ago, Gumballl said:

You are correct.

This morning I checked my wife's Blue Book. To my surprise (maybe I shouldn't be?), I am NOT listed in the book. [Note to myself: never listen to Thai wife again on matters of immigration.]

Very true.

That being said, I was told this morning by uncle of the family that works at the Amphur that I will be able to apply for the Yellow Book once I establish my domicile here in Thailand. That won't be for another 6-10 years. Even though I am over 50 y.o., I am not foolish/ready to retire yet.

Also don't listen to uncles in the family. :giggle:

On 7/23/2019 at 10:16 AM, gunderhill said:

Or get  all expats  to  turn up at  immigration on the same day saying we ain't doing it, many Thai owners  don't  want to do it either.

Just before the coup there were hordes of protestors camped out on the main floor in Chaengwattana, it was quite a scene. Plenty of food there to get comfortable for a few days, and you only need to nip upstairs to file your TM30s.

1563954911993.jpg

On 7/22/2019 at 10:33 AM, essox essox said:

so my friend has keys to one of HIS friends condo...HIS friend is in the Uk

If my friend actually comes here at short notice how can HIS friend report HIM (my friend) to Imm.

His friend does not know that my friend is at the condo.??????????

My landlady would have the same problem. We rent our condo on a yearly lease and I never tell her when I travel outside of Thailand or another province because it is none of her business and I am sure she does not care. So how is she to fill out the TM30 every time I come back to my condo after my trip? The whole scheme borders on moronic.

8 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

My landlady would have the same problem. We rent our condo on a yearly lease and I never tell her when I travel outside of Thailand or another province because it is none of her business and I am sure she does not care. So how is she to fill out the TM30 every time I come back to my condo after my trip? The whole scheme borders on moronic.

You can file the TM30 yourself as the tenant or occupier of the Condo.

It is not solely the owners responsibility.

17 minutes ago, Dexxter said:

Let me try to apply a logical fallacy myself, I see so many defenders of these idiotic regulations, twisting it like: "but it's online, it's easy, quick" etc etc.

It's worse in North Korea, you must be accompanied by a guide everywhere you go, and your movements are limited.

Thailand, unlike North Korea, generously allows you to move around anywhere you want, provided that you are tracked.

Therefore, I applaud the measures set by the Central Committee of Thailand, for the purpose of national security.

✌✌✌

Archived