Why did u guys choose Thailand over the Philippines??

Lemonlime

Phillipines is going or is becomming the new ISIS war theatre. Too many fanatics from the sharia law crowd wanting to take over. I see suicide bombings becoming more frequent in the future in Phillipines.

Thailand is safer in my opinion.

If the gov here start taking daily hits of wacky bacy, oh hang its going to be really cool here.

Edited by Inepto Cracy
  • Sad 1

I started traveling and looking for a place to retire outside the US beginning in the mid-2000s.  Was encouraged to try Thailand by a close friend and spent a month here, once a year, beginning in 2006.  Visited many areas of Thailand from north to south east to west and always spent several days in BKK each trip.  But I became concerned about living in a country with such a difficult language to learn (for me anyway).

So in 2010, I decided to try PI; primarily because getting by with English would be much easier.  Basically did the same thing as in Thailand.  Once a year, 4 weeks each trip and traveling to many parts of the country.  Each year I couldn’t get out of Manila fast enough; can’t stand the place.  Other parts of the country were nice but getting there can be a pain in the a$$ (it’s an island country and most domestic air travel required a trip thru Manila).  Didn’t care for the food and mild food poisoning at least once per trip.  Rented cars and stayed in hotels that were much worse than advertised.  Poverty is widespread and begging common even by some well dressed children.  And their religious practices were more than I could deal with on a long term basis.

My last trip as a tourist in 2013 I decided to spend 2 weeks in PI then 2 weeks in Thailand.  One of the best decisions I ever made.  I’ll never forget walking into a shopping mall in Hua Hin wondering where were the security guards at each entrance to pat my back looking for a pistol tucked into my belt (common practice in PI).  Later that year I retired from my job in the States, moved to Thailand and have been living here ever since.

• Like 1

On ‎7‎/‎21‎/‎2019 at 2:02 PM, Orton Rd said:

Went to the Philippines to meet a woman met on the internet, early days for that as in 1996, she was a banker from Oregon. She grew up in Zambuanga and had body guards when growing up. She was back there to sort out her brothers affairs who had been kidnapped by Islamic militants for ransom, betrayed by his bodyguards but it went wrong and they killed him after the money was paid.

The only place I have ever been mugged was at 8.30 on a Sunday morning in Manila, I tried going to Angeles while she went off to Zambuanga but found that depressing, the girls were far worse than Thai sex workers, some were 'cherry girls' who did not put out others were fond of taking the money (paid up front then) then not putting out. Roxas boulevard in Manila had been cleaned up by then, so yes you can stamp out the sex trade if determined. The whole atmosphere seemed to have an air of desperation about it with people trying to get out of the place, you could not even get into the airport without a ticket. Added to that it's the only place I got serious food poisoning and that must have been from a 5 star Hotel. Some nice people but a horrible depressing place.

I had terrible food poisoning twice in LOS.

I never went to Pi because the mayor shut down Makati, and I didn't get the address of the Filipina I met in Cyprus.

I went to LOS a lot because it was the closest place to Saudi to have fun.

19 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

I never went to Pi because the mayor shut down Makati

Mayor Lim shut down "Del Pilar street" the best nightlife street in the world at one time, bars moved out enforce to around Makati after that.

I lived in PI from ~81 - 84, was dangerous even back then.

Consider one thing about PI, how many Philippine restaurants do you see anywhere? - the food is woeful! 

5 minutes ago, CGW said:

Consider one thing about PI, how many Philippine restaurants do you see anywhere? - the food is woeful! 

I don't eat local food so it doesn't matter what it's like in PI.

Indian, Chinese, Mexican, English breakfast, American breakfast plenty around in PI.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, JKfarang said:

I’ll never forget walking into a shopping mall in Hua Hin wondering where were the security guards at each entrance to pat my back looking for a pistol tucked into my belt (common practice in PI).

Never had any security guard in PI do anything except say "Hello Sir" and hold the door for me.

Bag inspection and searches was only for natives.

• Thanks 1

The Filipinos in Thailand are ok but many in the Philippines seem desperate for someone to take them out of their misery to a better life (in our home countries). I visited twice and was not impressed. I am not even interested in going back again even though I take monthly getaways to different places.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sanemax said:

"Innocent girls" , are you talking about virgins ? , girls who havent had sex yet ? 

You again!

I am talking about girls which are old enough to work in a bar and who work there because they want to work there.

And basically all girls who start in bars are at the beginning not hard core bar girls. And they are normally much nicer than the others who work already since a long time in those bars, often since years.

I don't know how long you have to search to find a virgin in Thailand. I think until now I met exactly two who told me they are a virgin. I was not interested to verify their claim.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

2. The visa system is something that some think is simpler. You do need to have money on deposit, and unlike Thailand it remains on deposit the entire time you live there. A minimum of $20,000 for the SRRV Smile visa, unless that has changed.

You don't need any money at all, you can turn up at the airport, enter on a month's VISA waiver, and extend as a tourist for 3 years.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I don't know how long you have to search to find a virgin in Thailand. I think until now I met exactly two who told me they are a virgin. I was not interested to verify their claim.

I'm not interested in 12 year olds, if they were much older than that, probably lying.

Anyways, I'm not a virgin, why would I want them to be?

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

7 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

You don't need any money at all, you can turn up at the airport, enter on a month's VISA waiver, and extend as a tourist for 3 years.

That is part of what I was talking about. Nearly any country on earth, is far more progressive than Thailand. And devoid of the ignorance that permeates this current administration on nearly all levels. The army is a curse to the nation. 

• Like 1

My Three Reasons for Thailand...(and also Cambodia) over the Philippines....

1. Theravada Buddhism

2. The food. 

3. IMO there is crime and corruption in Thailand, yes. But there is much more crime and corruption in the Philippines. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, EVENKEEL said:

Spent a lot of time in PI late 70's, early 80's and again now if my work takes me there. The way they speak English bugs me to no end, why is it every lady has that black mole next to nose. Now granted if you're a beach guy I'd bet PI wins hands down. Western food is better in my opinion. My view is skewed as I have mainly been to Subic and Barretto area. From stories told by Filipino's giving handouts to family, neighbors and friends is a big problem because they're US citizens and of course they must be rich.

In Thailand the farang feels less targeted and ignored if that's what you want. Also the filipinas would like nothing more than to be brought to your home country especially US. Thai ladies not so much.

I find we are very similar especially when it comes to the way they speak English!!!, it grates on my nerves from the word Go. I find your post spot on in every aspect!

Also, I had to laugh about the comment of the mole next to the nose as I have seen that so many times with guys from the Philippines, it takes me back in time.

I did a thread on Thai Visa regarding the Philippines back in 2016 and it was a decent thread, some 14 pages on Thai visa of mixed opinions!

https://forum.thaivisa.com/topic/884761-why-would-anyone-want-to-visit-the-philippines/

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Alot of ex-pats are looking to leave Thailand, as the current administration is so far beyond heinous and incompetent, it is unspeakable. And the current immigration policy and attitude, seems to be designed to discourage foreigners from staying here. 

I have no experience of any of that in LOS. The government was/ is far better than under Thaksin, though life for most is unchanged since before Thaksin- it's always been that way, except people were far happier. The smile back then was genuine. The smile disappeared under Thaksin's unfortunate rule.

While the immigration was somewhere I never wanted to go, paying an agent avoided all the stress. Besides, it's far easier for us to stay long time in LOS than it is to take a Thai girl to my country.

45 minutes ago, Catoni said:

3. IMO there is crime and corruption in Thailand, yes. But there is much more crime and corruption in the Philippines. 

Not seen any crime in either country.

In the last ten years I've had a helmet stolen off my parked m/c in Thailand if that counts.

Immigration corruption in CM I've seen every year I went, not to mention the frequent traffic cop shakedowns around the moat.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

I'm not interested in 12 year olds, if they were much older than that, probably lying.

Anyways, I'm not a virgin, why would I want them to be?

Thank you. The whole virgin thing is soooo over rated. I prefer experience. Virgins can be very boring and very dependent. Besides here in Thailand that usually means under 15! Fortunately, underage has never had any appeal for me. Leave that to the Epsteins of the world. 

Edited by spidermike007
  • Like 1

working/living in phillipines I required a security detail, armed, as did husband and children.

no brainer, here at least corruption has not deteriorated to such a stnadard where I need to employ a small army for protection.

then again this is asia and lowest common denominator is what its all about

Edited by manchega

19 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thank you. The whole virgin thing is soooo over rated. I prefer experience. Virgins can be very boring and very dependent. Besides here in Thailand that usually means under 15! Fortunately, underage has never had any appeal for me. Leave that to the Epsteins of the world. 

I'm with you on that. Ignorance does not lead to bliss in the sack.

I think not many 15 year old virgins in the west. They all seem to be far more worldly now than when I was young, and if the stories were true had been doing it while still at school even then.

2 hours ago, JKfarang said:

I started traveling and looking for a place to retire outside the US beginning in the mid-2000s.  Was encouraged to try Thailand by a close friend and spent a month here, once a year, beginning in 2006.  Visited many areas of Thailand from north to south east to west and always spent several days in BKK each trip.  But I became concerned about living in a country with such a difficult language to learn (for me anyway).

So in 2010, I decided to try PI; primarily because getting by with English would be much easier.  Basically did the same thing as in Thailand.  Once a year, 4 weeks each trip and traveling to many parts of the country.  Each year I couldn’t get out of Manila fast enough; can’t stand the place.  Other parts of the country were nice but getting there can be a pain in the a$$ (it’s an island country and most domestic air travel required a trip thru Manila).  Didn’t care for the food and mild food poisoning at least once per trip.  Rented cars and stayed in hotels that were much worse than advertised.  Poverty is widespread and begging common even by some well dressed children.  And their religious practices were more than I could deal with on a long term basis.

My last trip as a tourist in 2013 I decided to spend 2 weeks in PI then 2 weeks in Thailand.  One of the best decisions I ever made.  I’ll never forget walking into a shopping mall in Hua Hin wondering where were the security guards at each entrance to pat my back looking for a pistol tucked into my belt (common practice in PI).  Later that year I retired from my job in the States, moved to Thailand and have been living here ever since.

I have never been patted down in the Philippines by security guards. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

The hospitals are full of people who are having a very hard time breathing. It is a real issue there. Lung disease is at an epidemic level, though the authorities do not like to talk about it, and publish very little information on it.

One can say the same about Thailand. The hospitals are full in the burning season.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

I have lived 6 months in the Philippines and some years here. And Thailand is superior when it comes to food, infrastructure, transport, internet, reliability of electricity, nice condos and so on. BUT, and that's a big one for me, people were much nicer in the Philippines and are treating foreigners not like sub-humans.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I would have a number of local male friends, unlike here. I have never met a society of men, who are less interested, less curious about, and less willing to get to know foreigners, than I have here in Thailand. It is sometimes astonishing. It is a real disappointment. 

It's simple, if they can't gain (money/work/connections) anything from you -except friendship and there's no value to it here- then why bother wasting energy talking to you. You also rarely see Thai guys (non-gays/lover, non-workmates) hanging out, doing things that friends are doing. The concept of friendship here is much different from other cultures.

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 9:02 AM, Orton Rd said:

I tried going to Angeles while she went off to Zambuanga but found that depressing, the girls were far worse than Thai sex workers, some were 'cherry girls' who did not put out others were fond of taking the money (paid up front then) then not putting out.

I'm in Angeles right now. Second time here and so far never had a bad experience with a girl. On the contrary - some of the girls I met here were so sweet I've taken them multiple times (though I get my girls from clubs - not bar fines - so I don't pay upfront)

As for the score:

Infrastructure - Thailand wins hands down

Internet and cell service - Philippines isn't even competing, cell reception is non-existent

Condos - Philippines quit the race

Hotness - Thai girls are by far hotter. I like 'em skinny and unfortunately Filipino girls are often fat.

Safety - Angeles feels generally safe, but Manila is scary. Thailand wins either way.

Language - Philippines finally scores!

Pussy - Philippines girls are friendlier, less demanding, and cheaper.

Visa - Thailand is becoming a nightmare when it comes to visa. Random denials are a constant source of stress and I may move in the future due to this reason alone. Philippines seems easy on visas.

Food - I actually eat much better in Angeles than I do in Bangkok. Tons of great western food here and it's much cheaper than Bangkok.

Booze - hands down Angeles. I pay HALF here than what I do in Bangkok.

But none of those matter. I am based in Bangkok because I have friends there. Moving to Angeles is an option but unlikely to happen if I'm alone here.

10 minutes ago, Dnyy said:

It's simple, if they can't gain (money/work/connections) anything from you -except friendship and there's no value to it here- then why bother wasting energy talking to you. You also rarely see Thai guys (non-gays/lover, non-workmates) hanging out, doing things that friends are doing. The concept of friendship here is much different from other cultures.

Thais hang out with their relatives and families.

I think they have it right, and we have it wrong.

5 minutes ago, PingRoundTheWorld said:

I'm in Angeles right now. Second time here and so far never had a bad experience with a girl. On the contrary - some of the girls I met here were so sweet I've taken them multiple times (though I get my girls from clubs - not bar fines - so I don't pay upfront)

Get the bus to Barretto for a few nights, many clubs, nice beaches.