Phuket Governor calls in public transport drivers to clarify ‘good service’

webfact

Phuket Governor calls in public transport drivers to clarify ‘good service’

By The Phuket News

1563885400_1-org.jpg

Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana felt the need to explain what ’good service’ means. Photo: PR Dept

PHUKET: Phuket Governor Phakaphong Tavipatana has called the island’s key players in Phuket’s public transport regime to clarify what “good service” means.

Joining the meeting, held yesterday (July 22) at Phuket Provincial Hall, were Phuket Vice Governor Supoj Rotreuang Na Nongkhai, Phuket Provincial Land Transport Chief Banyat Kantha and other relevant officers.

Governor Phakaphong stressed to the transport kingpins the importance public transport plays in maintaining a good image of Phuket for tourists.

Read more at https://www.thephuketnews.com/phuket-governor-calls-in-public-transport-drivers-to-clarify-good-service-72241.php#1cS8oIJ1pz3ftAHK.99 

tphuketnews_logo.jpg

-- © Copyright Phuket News 2019-07-24

Phuket and Samui have long been the land of piracy, when it comes to public transport. The taxi mafias there are completely above the law. Any and all laws. I remember living on Samui about five years ago, when the hapless army swept onto the island, and performed one of their infamous "crackdowns" on the taxis there. Prayuth engaged in major proclamations. The taxis will follow all laws, and will always been forced to use their meters. Two weeks later you could not find a taxi on Samui, willing to use their meters. That is one of the biggest problems with this incompetent administration. Though they occasionally get it right, they never follow up. Two weeks is the maximum any new laws last here. 

The last time I was on Samui, I asked a driver to use his meter. He looked at me like I was from another planet. He quoted 400 baht for a 4km ride.

Many years ago, I had a friend who worked in the Danish consulate. He told us that a Danish consortium had offered to build an electric elevated tram, all the way around the 54km. Ring Road on Samui. It would have been a revolutionary degree of progress for the island that stands still when it comes to any sort of improvement, of any kind. They offered to build it free, as a pilot project for the company. After a few months of deliberation, the local authorities turned down the offer. I asked incredulously, why on earth would the local politicians do that? I was told there were two reasons. One. How do you get a major kickback on a project that is free? Two. The power of the local taxi mafia. 

Some things never change. Samui has needed a good, inexpensive public transport system for decades. Yet, the taxi companies continue to make a fortune, and charge Miami Beach pricing. 

6 hours ago, webfact said:

Phakaphong Tavipatana has called the island’s key players in Phuket’s public transport regime to clarify what “good service” means.

No mention of the names of these "king pins" who control Phuket's transport scam industry. Faceless people hiding under the cloak of anonymity.

10 hours ago, Cadbury said:

No mention of the names of these "king pins" who control Phuket's transport scam industry. Faceless people hiding under the cloak of anonymity.

Really you dont know who runs the main taxi mafia in phuket? Far from faceless really... amongst other things that they run and own...

Typical: hold a meeting among themselves, everybody says yes, makes a wai, goes home and nothing changes.

They should invite representatives, even random members, of the users and especially tourists since they are the ones injecting most of the money and yet being cheated, beaten, killed by their drivers.

Archived