Gate security asked for passport

keith101

5 minutes ago, wgdanson said:

How many copies of your passport do Immigration or Driving Centre or Hospital have?

They have good reason to have copies security at these gates don't imo .

• Like 1

Yes I’ve had gate security ask for my passport before. They were equally happy when I gave a UK or Thai driving license which was returned on leaving. No big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, guru said:

Yes I’ve had gate security ask for my passport before. They were equally happy when I gave a UK or Thai driving license which was returned on leaving. No big deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

I made sure i got mine back before going through the gate .

2 hours ago, jackdd said:

The security guard is not the one who made the rules.

Probably the members of this gated community made a rule which says that visitors have to present their ID card if they want to enter.

They employed a security guard to enforce this rule.

If you want to enter you can show him our ID document, if you don't want to do this it is your right to not do so, but this means he might not let you in.

When my wife and I visit friends in their gated community she has to hand over her ID card and gets an ID card sized token for the visit which is then exchanged back when leaving. This policy was enforced to stop  unauthorised people using the facilities and pickups driving round trying to sell things.

4 hours ago, MartinL said:

"The last time the wife and I went ... to see her daughter ... the security guy ... asked for my passport ... ".

Presumably your wife was in the car with you. Did he ask to see her ID too or is only the foreigner deemed a threat to the security of the gated community?

Get over yourself.  The rules are ID of the driver in any gated community I have ever been to.  If they are Thai they take their ID card.  Yet another TVF poster with a paranoid anti foreigner delusion.

By the way, the OP only had his photcopied.  In my moo baan - and all others I've been to in Bangkok - they take it and keep it and you get it back when you leave.

• Like 1

On 7/24/2019 at 12:10 PM, RichardColeman said:

When times got hard, my wife did some gate security to help out with the bills. She regularly asked for id of people she did not know, since it was her job to ensure the safety of the community. Wife wife is fluent in English - much to the surprise of most coming to the gate - most on gates are not fluent or have to choose other words. I would not worry about it - and besides, I thought Thai farang law said keep copy of passport on you at all times - he may well have known that

Nah. It says government issued identification form. A passport is one way. A citizen ID card from your own country (similar to how thai people also have one for their country) is as well, after all it doesn’t say needs to be a thai government and Thai government doesn’t issue your passport. In my case I just keep the passport at home and use the ID card as identification everywhere I go except hotels sometimes and flights. 

Edited by Drax