Swiss man in Pattaya clean-up campaign features on national Thai TV

webfact

2 hours ago, Yinn said:

Yes pattaya is famous for dirty. Dirty beach, rubbish, water.

And famous for many for being farang city.

if all the farang same this guy, I think it would be clean place.

Do you think it is farangs who are dumping their rubbish in the klongs?

If all the Thais in Pattaya acted the same as this Swiss man, I think it would be a clean place.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Switzerland is one of the cleanest countries in the world. 

Why would a Swiss man want to move to Pattaya which is one of the filthiest  places in Thailand ?

Cambodia is the filthiest place I've seen anywhere.

India , takes  first prize , they <deleted> on the streets ..

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, intherealworld said:

What you mean,  be Bisexual and gargle with urine in the morning for a whiter smile. :giggle:

Amateur hour. When in Pattaya do as the Romans did.  Caligula room at The Penthouse and a couple of Geysers from downstairs.  You know it makes sense.

• Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lucius verus said:

Switzerland is one of the cleanest countries in the world. 

Why would a Swiss man want to move to Pattaya which is one of the filthiest  places in Thailand ?

Cambodia is the filthiest place I've seen anywhere.

Try Bangladesh, far worse. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Briggsy said:

What should be a straightforward environmental enforcement action has been turned into maudlin pap. The narrative has been switched from the environmental destruction to a sappy take on the Swiss man's struggles. Very Thai. Watch, sympathise, do nothing. This khlong will be filthy for the next 100 years.

No different to any other country. When nothing can be done about the problem, deflect to something else.

Good for him, but he's not going to win, sadly.

• Confused 1

51 minutes ago, thaibeachlovers said:

No different to any other country. When nothing can be done about the problem, deflect to something else.

Good for him, but he's not going to win, sadly.

I don't really understand your comment. Many countries have strict enforcement in regards to water pollution and littering. In fact it states it in the article using Switzerland as an example.

So it is completely different to many other countries. And something can be done. 

So, I cannot understand what you are saying. Perhaps you misunderstood my original comment. 

However we agree that the article deliberately swerves away from any direct addressing of the problem.

Edited by Briggsy

14 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Do you think it is farangs who are dumping their rubbish in the klongs?

If all the Thais in Pattaya acted the same as this Swiss man, I think it would be a clean place.

No.

But Pattaya is the most dirty city in Thailand. And Pattaya has the most farang.

Why do you think is like that? What the reason you think?

2 minutes ago, Yinn said:

No.

But Pattaya is the most dirty city in Thailand. And Pattaya has the most farang.

Why do you think is like that? What the reason you think?

I think that most tourist towns and cities spend a good proportion of their tourism income on keeping things clean and safe. Pattaya seems not to do so.

Should we blame the tourists for this, or should we blame the Thais in charge?

2 hours ago, Briggsy said:

I don't really understand your comment. Many countries have strict enforcement in regards to water pollution and littering. In fact it states it in the article using Switzerland as an example.

So it is completely different to many other countries. And something can be done. 

So, I cannot understand what you are saying. Perhaps you misunderstood my original comment. 

However we agree that the article deliberately swerves away from any direct addressing of the problem.

My comment was related to deflection, not cleanliness.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

My comment was related to deflection, not cleanliness.

Oh, I see. Well again, I don't really see.

If there is an environmental issue (in this case a local one) then it is tackled head on in Western countries with open and honest debate about the pros and cons of solutions. So Thailand is not like those other countries in that regard. 

Perhaps it is because of the fatalistic (i.e. giving up very easily) attitude of Thais and their penchant for sentimentality or more likely it is because discussing the issue candidly would involve deserved criticism of the Pattaya municipality and also of local factories and their powerful connected owners.

So, I would argue the quite pathetic story chosen as the narrative by the journalist was more to do with avoiding conflict than with the problem being intractable.

However, I do agree with you. The khlong will remain a filthy disgrace and nothing will change.

22 hours ago, lonewolf99 said:

This is the kind of story and related stories that need to be shown to all these western kids that stop going to school and cry to western politicians about clean air/water/save polar bears. 

This is the reality of the planet. Nearly 8 billion and counting and 90% don't give a flying rats ass about the planet and what they do to it.

The western politicians jump on the bandwagon and announce carbon taxes to make money out of the problem. 

This Swiss guy is as already shown beating his head against the proverbial brick wall. He might also take heed and beware of who he upsets about this in LoS. It could cost him more than his money to clean the mess.

I have given up on humanity. Currently all we hear now is wasting money on going back to the moon. What the hell for? To just go up there and cover it in human crap and plastic? Imagine Tranquility Base covered in what you see in a Thai/Cambodian Klong......nice.

Agree 100%.

Also wonder how long the Courageous Swiss gent will be permitted to remain in LoS, having had the temerity to do what Thais won’t do....

criticise ! OH, you can’t do that, just stare at your feet, swallow your pride and never, NEVER criticise your Betters !

3 hours ago, intherealworld said:

Because all the Thais that live and work here,  just throw there shit all over the place,  same as they do in there home town.

and your home town.

Wrong.

you never been to Ranong if you say that. Sure.

Ranong and Phangnga west coast is clean. The water in the Klong is clear. We can swim in that. We can swim in the sea. Water is clear.

We put rubbish in a bin. Not like pattaya. Can not swim in the klong or the sea in Pattaya. 

We agree Pattaya dirty. Why so many farang want to live there?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I think that most tourist towns and cities spend a good proportion of their tourism income on keeping things clean and safe. Pattaya seems not to do so.

Should we blame the tourists for this, or should we blame the Thais in charge?

Orbordtor and the people who live there.

work together to keep it clean.

Edited by Yinn

1 minute ago, intherealworld said:

Yes sure.

Your different than all the rest. :coffee1:

It's just the other 69 million that fly tip all over Thailand.

You don’t know. Sure. 

You never been Phangnga and Ranong. Sure.

But you “know” right? Impossible

• Like 1

21 hours ago, Yinn said:

Yes pattaya is famous for dirty. Dirty beach, rubbish, water.

And famous for many for being farang city.

if all the farang same this guy, I think it would be clean place.

If 10% of the Thai were like this then it would also be a clean place.It is up to you people to actually do something about it,is it not?

• Like 2

17 hours ago, Yinn said:

We agree Pattaya dirty. Why so many farang want to live there?

Because its a "World Class Family Beach Resort"  and "The Riviera" of Thailand ?  ????

It's dirty because there are too many "tourists"  in relation to the effort/money  the city government spends on keeping things clean..the city has expanded  with thousands of new condo and hotel rooms  but the infrastructure

( rubbish collection,sewage,roads etc)  hasn't kept up..there also seems to be very little  "city planning"

On weekends and holiday days  Pattaya and Jomtien are jammed packed with Thais  who drive their cars and pickup trucks from (mostly) Bangkok  they "Picnic" on the beach  with  plastic bottles,bags,foam plates and bowls  of Somtam gai yanrng etc

very often ( but less and less in recent years ) the rubbish is just left on the beach or near the rubbish bins then either the soi dogs come along and tear everything up  or the wind blows it all over the place...there needs to be more rubbish bins  and they need to be emptied more often  2-3 times per day on busy weekends.

There is as far as I know  only one beach cleaning machine  in use to clean both Pattaya and Jomtien beaches,quite a few "road sweeping ladies" though,what a job they have !!!

P_20170705_100235.thumb.jpg.53865be4f4c60025492d3eb4e44fa868.jpg

The city government says that it receives money from central government based on  the number of Thais registered as living in Pattaya, the problem is  a lot of people living in Pattaya are not actually registered as living there

( they come to work from other provinces )..and there are a huge number of "tourists"  so city government is short of funds..well that's their explanation for the the uncleanliness and poor infrastructure.

Children's playground after the grass cutting.

P_20180919_165501.thumb.jpg.ab930451d10f9f221b817b9ec9ca4573.jpg

Jomtien dump site x 2   this first one has kind of been cleared up

2095280521_P_20180220_105624(Large).jpg.c7952e9244d019c5d4c52daec4ed7441.jpg

This one is now a building site for even more condos !

1483588757_P_20170705_101824_SRES(Large).jpg.8d8ec1b2517e05b55c36c1e6e384d463.jpg

• Sad 1

15 minutes ago, johng said:

more today all on same (1)  road in Jomtien.

P_20190727_103709.thumb.jpg.984d9f4534bf2dfc33c45823ee164a73.jpg

P_20190727_103905.thumb.jpg.d85ac21775986fb35f553587faef5cd1.jpgP_20190727_104238_1.thumb.jpg.5f91bf9aa792b7206630ef704ee87c9f.jpgP_20190727_104354.thumb.jpg.7a486deae5bf9336e5da3b43348f91af.jpg

Really bad. Amazing bad. Why nobody care?

It not look like tourism rubbish. On the beach sure, but on the soi?

i think the sign not work. 5555555

Really I think orbortor and people who live pattaya must work together. 

The swiss guy can not do it himself. 

PS after cut the grass in here, we pick up the plastic. So lazy not do. Look worse than before cut it. 555555

Edited by Yinn

8 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Yeah, 98% of them are giving the rest a bad wrap.

Yes, do you help the Swiss guy? 

i think less than 2% help him. Sure

13 hours ago, balo said:

Where is the pictures from ? It looks nice. 

The town Kapong.

The beach Bordaan 

The lake, I not sure name. 

All in Phangnga west coast Thailand.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, Yinn said:

but on the soi?

i think the sign not work. 5555555

Sadly  on a large percentage of sois...all sorts of rubbish  household,construction/renovation debris old tyres and tons of plastic and foam/polystyrene.

The signs if anything seem to encourage the dumping of rubbish...the fine for dumping is not mentioned, its probably a stupidly small amount of money so cheaper to dump instead of driving to the  nearest official dump site  which I believe is in Rayong province somewhere......?????? they dump on a "quiet" soi instead  quick cheap and easy with not much chance of being caught and prosecuted.

never mentioned in any news reports are the locations of "official" dumping sites in the Pattaya area

I can only assume that is because there are none at all !!!!

The Swiss guy is  fighting an unwinnable battle..what's needed is action from the government + of course all the locals and visitors should do their small part too.

• Sad 1