Strong baht: why prices steady?

Why should they make it cheaper? People paid the price before and will pay it now.

That the shop can buy it for less means just more profit for the shop.

Price agreements between shops are just common practice in Thailand.

Edited by jackdd
  • Like 1

On 7/25/2019 at 11:22 AM, Camillof said:

With the Thai baht getting stronger and stronger against Euro and Pound, why are retail prices of goods imported from Europe not going down?

This is common practice...experienced enough of it with the duel pricing on articles in €uro and Sterling...never get the benefits when one or the other strengthens or weakens.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, jackdd said:

Why should they make it cheaper? People paid the price before and will pay it now.

That the shop can buy it for less means just more profit for the shop.

Price agreements between shops are just common practice in Thailand.

Wages are not the same now as last year. And the items may have been bought 2 years ago.

• Haha 1

18 hours ago, sammieuk1 said:

Think is so farangs can laugh their tits off at the cost of a £1 fray bentos steak and kidney pie here????

They are not even worth it, there is hardly any steak in them, that is why I stopped buying them years ago.

Sorry for going off topic.

I don't live in a tourist town.  And just today talking to some people they were complaining about the bad economy.  Their wages have dropped to 250-280/day now from 300/day.  And prices at the local market are going up too.  So they are getting hit on both sides.

On 7/25/2019 at 11:39 AM, BestB said:

Because cost of doing business keeps going up and up and you also do not know what prices they paid at what rate. Could be stock bought and paid 2-3 years ago and the most common why make cheaper price when people always bought and paid previous prices 

I don't think Thais can plan that far ahead

Just now, ratcatcher said:

"Don't you know it's the end of the world

and Thais don't love us anymore.":cool:

When did they?  Not in the 1960's.  In the 1940's they declared war on us.  I think one has to go back to Lincoln's time when Thailand gave him an elephant.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

22 hours ago, LivinLOS said:

Inefficient supply chains.. Monopoly practices... Etc etc etc.. 

Given the corruption gumming up the entire economy input pricing downgrades just gets absorbed.. 

I too was wondering why all the import beers etc keep going up.. More than 10 quid a pint for some now..  

Which beer which bar? I buy imported san miguel at 39 baht a bottle. Ibar WS Pattaya. 

1 minute ago, marcusarelus said:

When did they?  Not in the 1960's.  In the 1940's they declared war on us.  I think one has to go back to Lincoln's time when Thailand gave him an elephant.  

Sorry, I was just Skeetering around with NC1701A   :whistling:

2 hours ago, Henricus said:

With the Thai baht getting stronger and stronger against Euro and Pound ?????????????????????

It`s not the Thai Baht Its the Euro and the Pound 

and the AUD and the YUAN and and and.. 

The THB has risen the most in asean.. 

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, sunnyboy2018 said:

Which beer which bar? I buy imported san miguel at 39 baht a bottle. Ibar WS Pattaya. 

Draft beer imports.. all the craft beers start at high 2xx's.. Brewdog elvis juice etc is 350 in my local and many are high 3xx.. Was a saison in my local taproom which was 4xx for 500ml. 

San mig is domestic brew anyway no ??