Pattaya Impressions After Years Away

gk10002000

21 hours ago, Captain 776 said:

The longer I stay away........the better I like it.

Gets worse every year and they wonder why tourism is dow.n

Is it getting better because you aren't there?  Don't take it personally!????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1

23 hours ago, rwill said:

If that is true why not just pay for the month and leave early?

I actually tried that once.  The Thais didn't go along with it.  Never mind the fact they could rent the room out after I left, they said contract was for one month!  No way to get manager to close out account with any confidence

• Like 1

Because the mattresses in some places, are really challenging to sleep on!  

So just to clarify... you intend going to the trouble and expense of freighting a quality, king or queen sized mattress topper from the USA to Thailand (and back to the USA) for a 3 or 4 week holiday?
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Nemises said:

So just to clarify... you intend going to the trouble and expense of freighting a quality, king or queen sized mattress topper from the USA to Thailand (and back to the USA) for a 3 or 4 week holiday?

So just to clarify...what business is it of yours what he sleeps on?  Alert the media, I sometimes pack a favorite bed pillow when I travel.  

• Haha 1

6 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

If they were ever to give Thailand an enema, they would insert it in Pattaya.

Do the math.

Why insult?  I've been rolled and beat up and GF left me and had money and passport stolen.  All my fault.  I could have stayed in Florida, worn black socks and speedo and prospected for sharks teeth and looked for early bird specials.  

What did Pattaya do to you to make you forget your manners and become insulting?  

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Captain 776 said:

Seeeeeee I said DONT take it personally and u took it personally.

Which part of what I said is not true.

I lived there for 9 yrs..........that was enough.

I have 4 pet tokays never had a roach in my room.  Always liked Soi buakhow.  Drank outside at that family mart on Soi Diana.  What else did you say about Pattaya?  You've confused me with someone else but I do really like the place.  

2 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

I have 4 pet tokays never had a roach in my room.  Always liked Soi buakhow.  Drank outside at that family mart on Soi Diana.  What else did you say about Pattaya?  You've confused me with someone else but I do really like the place.  

Isn't it called Soi Bukake? My apologies, haven't been there for a long time. 

• Like 1

Some inflammatory Pattaya bashing posts and flames have been removed.

Please be advised next time I see this same rubbish from this same person I will suspend you.

4 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

Nice to see some positive reviews.  

Starting second week now.  Enjoyed Big Buddha.  They have upgraded the hilltop a bit and now were playing some pleasant buddhist mantra chanting music at a modest volume.  Nice to sit in the shade with a breeze up there this morning.

I do enjoy the chinese pavillion complex that is just below the Phra Yai.  Most people go right bye it.  Quiet with some nice chinese displays, some good words from Confucius.

Got some decent foot and oil massages.  Still heaven.  The Hotel Pool every day almost makes the trip worth it.  So pleasant to float around, stretch out, cool off.  I actually live in Florida so I don't mind heat and humidity, but sure love the water.  Working in San Diego area at the moment so have been away from humidity for most of the year, so the pool is heaven and was in the plans.

I flew EVA air, Premium economy.  Was the best deal on the planet in years past, although recently they changed the seat styles.  Most of that seat class do NOT have foot rests any more on the reclining part of the seat, but instead have foot pegs on the seat back in front of you.  Nutty.  But a little research showed that rows 20 that  are right behind the bulkhead of Business class DO have foot rests!  So I booked those and it was great.  $1560 round trip LAX to BKK, short layover in Taiwan.  So much better seats than coach, bigger, recline further, have foot rests, have never had a crying baby on the 13 hour flight.  Much cheaper than Business.   I sat in the business seats for a few minutes just to check them out, and while the idea of individual herringbone pods is nice, the seat cushions were very hard, similar to what you see in many pool side recliners.  So I do not think those seats are worth another $2,500 USD!  My seats were great.  I slept fine.  In fact the flight was only 1/2 full.  My entire row 20 only had me in it!  I have not been on a flight so uncrowded since 911 times.

Going to check out the Das Berliner restaurant over on Soi 13.   

Still have not made it over to Soi 6 yet.  that is always worth a walk about.

Speed boat to Ko Larn on the agenda with my "tour guide".

Day to Nong Nooch on the agenda too.  I find the place pleasant.  Learned in the past that the 1/2 day package is not worth it as they first pick you up in a minivan, then centralize everybody at a bus stop in Jomtien then go to the park.  Not enough time to wander around, see the elephant show, and the cultural show.  So either take a taxi on your own time or book the full day trip.

Catching up on a lot of sleep and some grade B movies on the TV.  The hotel package is pretty decent, although they do not have Bloomberg for financial stuff.

In summary, except for the nutty monthly transfer of money burden if one is doing the income method, Pattaya is about the same I guess.  Sunday traffic was pretty bad, no doubt due to July 28 being new King's birthday. 

All the side streets about the same.  On massage street I got a fine oil massage for 200 baht that was as good as I have gotten at fancier places.

So many bars all over town not doing much business. But that was not unusual in off season in past years either.  Walking street bars are moderate, mostly koreans from the languages I could over hear.  Just wondering out loud what all the alleged Indian and Middle Eastern tourists do or go at night besides walking around?  No doubt there are enclaves I don't know about.  Just wondering.

Was looking for a good full english brekkie this morning.  was surpised that Pig and Whistle and Simon's don't open until 0830.  Went to Lek for buffet.  Dissapointing and worse than in years past as was Apex's.  Oh well.  Had to give each of the old places a try. 

KISS restaurant is still a fine buy.  Shrimp fried rice and watermelon shake really is a decent little snack.

Cold Gatorade from 7-11  is refreshing.  Wonder how that goes with Vodka and ice?

could someone summarize this is one line...I am a bit busy

On 7/28/2019 at 2:10 PM, PingRoundTheWorld said:

Has it always been like that? Or is this due to the lack of customers/slow season?

Likely they got quotas otherwise salary gets cut. The uglier ones have to work at it more. Presumably with fewer customers the are having to work ye more. Tough to get the balance right between being ignored and being pestered. Try Baccara, if you are oriental you will get attention, if not, you feel transparent. 

Edited by jacko45k

On 7/29/2019 at 3:39 PM, Nemises said:

No.  I never said anything about a high quality topper.  The topper I use in the states is a simple basic foam thing that folds up pretty small and costs like $18 USD at Wal Mart.  I have not found anything like that in any of the Thailand Home Pro, Big c etc.    3 or 4 weeks of good sleep to me is a worthy endeavor.

• Like 2

On 8/1/2019 at 8:48 PM, guzzi850m2 said:

Nice writeup.
I still like living here myself.

Keene walking shoes, which shop was that? I like good walking shoes.

Sent from my POCOPHONE F1 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I was just back in terminal 21 today.  The store had literally a dozen varieties, Keene Newport and others.  Not sure what floor it was on, but was one of the lower levels. 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, meand said:

Boy, nice summary. If i had to sum up the place i could do it in about half a sentence. I do not think there could be a more culturally devoid armpit on earth. 

And yet.  And yet.  Apparently still so fascinating to you that you take the time to not only read about it from wherever you are but comment as well.  I'm going to have to add you to my growing list of guys who just can't quit Pattaya.

• Haha 2

23 minutes ago, meand said:

Boy, nice summary. If i had to sum up the place i could do it in about half a sentence. I do not think there could be a more culturally devoid armpit on earth. 

Then you dont know the meaning of culture or you dont know Pattaya or its surrounding environs and purlieus. Or perhaps you lack imagination. Australia is the most definitive culturally devoid location on earth.

• Haha 1

On 7/29/2019 at 12:03 PM, marcusarelus said:

"Nice to see some positive reviews.  

Starting second week now.  Enjoyed Big Buddha.  They have upgraded the hilltop a bit and now were playing some pleasant buddhist mantra chanting music at a modest volume.  Nice to sit in the shade with a breeze up there this morning.

I do enjoy the chinese pavillion complex that is just below the Phra Yai.  Most people go right bye it.  Quiet with some nice chinese displays, some good words from Confucius.

Got some decent foot and oil massages.  Still heaven.  The Hotel Pool every day almost makes the trip worth it.  So pleasant to float around, stretch out, cool off.  I actually live in Florida so I don't mind heat and humidity, but sure love the water.  Working in San Diego area at the moment so have been away from humidity for most of the year, so the pool is heaven and was in the plans.

I flew EVA air, Premium economy.  Was the best deal on the planet in years past, although recently they changed the seat styles.  Most of that seat class do NOT have foot rests any more on the reclining part of the seat, but instead have foot pegs on the seat back in front of you.  Nutty.  But a little research showed that rows 20 that  are right behind the bulkhead of Business class DO have foot rests!  So I booked those and it was great.  $1560 round trip LAX to BKK, short layover in Taiwan.  So much better seats than coach, bigger, recline further, have foot rests, have never had a crying baby on the 13 hour flight.  Much cheaper than Business.   I sat in the business seats for a few minutes just to check them out, and while the idea of individual herringbone pods is nice, the seat cushions were very hard, similar to what you see in many pool side recliners.  So I do not think those seats are worth another $2,500 USD!  My seats were great.  I slept fine.  In fact the flight was only 1/2 full.  My entire row 20 only had me in it!  I have not been on a flight so uncrowded since 911 times.

Going to check out the Das Berliner restaurant over on Soi 13.   

Still have not made it over to Soi 6 yet.  that is always worth a walk about.

Speed boat to Ko Larn on the agenda with my "tour guide".

Day to Nong Nooch on the agenda too.  I find the place pleasant.  Learned in the past that the 1/2 day package is not worth it as they first pick you up in a minivan, then centralize everybody at a bus stop in Jomtien then go to the park.  Not enough time to wander around, see the elephant show, and the cultural show.  So either take a taxi on your own time or book the full day trip.

Catching up on a lot of sleep and some grade B movies on the TV.  The hotel package is pretty decent, although they do not have Bloomberg for financial stuff.

In summary, except for the nutty monthly transfer of money burden if one is doing the income method, Pattaya is about the same I guess.  Sunday traffic was pretty bad, no doubt due to July 28 being new King's birthday. 

All the side streets about the same.  On massage street I got a fine oil massage for 200 baht that was as good as I have gotten at fancier places.

So many bars all over town not doing much business. But that was not unusual in off season in past years either.  Walking street bars are moderate, mostly koreans from the languages I could over hear.  Just wondering out loud what all the alleged Indian and Middle Eastern tourists do or go at night besides walking around?  No doubt there are enclaves I don't know about.  Just wondering.

Was looking for a good full english brekkie this morning.  was surpised that Pig and Whistle and Simon's don't open until 0830.  Went to Lek for buffet.  Dissapointing and worse than in years past as was Apex's.  Oh well.  Had to give each of the old places a try. 

KISS restaurant is still a fine buy.  Shrimp fried rice and watermelon shake really is a decent little snack.

Cold Gatorade from 7-11  is refreshing.  Wonder how that goes with Vodka and ice?"

In addition to those comments Terminal 21 has been a nice addition and the Hopf is still booming every night and the customers smell better and are better mannered than 3 years ago it seems to me.  

Just a little ways out of town the Silver Lake winery still has a good restaurant and other attractions are opening up as Pattaya gets a more diverse tourist base.  

There are several Indian clubs on WS

2 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

No, and as usual you make assumptions and attack posters.  I never said anything about a high quality topper.  The topper I use in the states is a simple basic foam thing that folds up pretty small and costs like $18 USD at Wal Mart.  I have not found anything like that in any of the Thailand Home Pro, Big c etc.    3 or 4 weeks of good sleep to me is a worthy endeavor.

youll get used to the hard beds after awhile (weeks or months). breaks your back at first but your body adapts. it works out your kinks, but like i said its a true backbreaker. sometimes sharp pains in the night or next day.

when i went home after years i slept on the hard floor at first because it felt more comfortable.

another good thing about the topper you mentioned is that it serves as a barrier to the mattress, secretions etc. if there is one. if its but a board you can wipe it down with alcohol.

Edited by fhickson

12 hours ago, meand said:

Not been to Australia yet then?

• Haha 2

13 hours ago, gk10002000 said:

The topper I use in the states is a simple basic foam thing that folds up pretty small and costs like $18 USD at Wal Mart.  I have not found anything like that in any of the Thailand Home Pro, Big c etc.  

I've seen things like that here. Outside of HomePro in BigC on Klang, and in the ground floor car park area of BigC on Sukumvit, and also inside both BigCs. Prices around 2000B and up, but most things are expensive here when compared with prices in the west.

For better quality, try here: https://www.ikea.com/th/en/cat/mattress-pads-24826/

• Like 1