Boycott Thai Altogether and Try Japan, Superior Visa Alternative

DaveCali

5 minutes ago, DaveCali said:

Japanese ladies look like angels in their kimono and yukata (local dress).. very hard to not get excited.. they love fire-works which is very common here in the sunner. Go and meet ladies there !

may i ask what is your age?

• Haha 1

I’ll probably marry my Japanese girlfriend next year and move with her back to Osaka. I’ve never been, other than a bus ride from Narita to Haneda airport after an overnight stay at Narita. But I have a feeling I’m going to absolutely love it. 

• Like 1

Why dont you instead get yearly extensions and make life much more easier on yourself.. You seem to have the means to afford it by reading your waste amount of travelling?????

Maybe you are under 50 and that complecate things. You wont get married and cant age-wise have an extension based on retirement maybe??

glegolo

Edited by glegolo

Did you mean retirement visa in Thai or extension of Japanese visa to stay longer in Japan? Sorry I did not get the point. Even though I was so satisfied and happy traveling in Japan I get bored in one country more than 1-2 months. I rotate among USA, Europe, Thai, Japan and little bit Laos 

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

What if you are hit by a bus before you are 55 years old?

" I still run long distance and thanks to my vegetarian diet, still feel'in like a teen "

Me too, but the buses don't care how healthy you are ????

Maybe I've got the wrong guy but don't you have some serious physical issues?  

14 minutes ago, glegolo said:

Why dont you instead get yearly extensions and make life much more easier on yourself.. You seem to have the means to afford it by reading your waste amount of travelling?????

Maybe you are under 50 and that complecate things. You wont get married and cant age-wise have an extension based on retirement maybe??

glegolo

Did you mean retirement visa in Thai or extension of Japanese visa to stay longer in Japan? Sorry I did not get the point. Even though I was so satisfied and happy traveling in Japan I get bored in one country more than 1-2 months. I rotate among USA, Europe, Thai, Japan and little bit Laos 

9 minutes ago, simon43 said:

What if you are hit by a bus before you are 55 years old?

" I still run long distance and thanks to my vegetarian diet, still feel'in like a teen "

Me too, but the buses don't care how healthy you are ????

My Mothers  in  her  90's  never  ran  a  day  in  her  life' eats anything she  likes and  still  takes  care  of  herself and  drives  + does  voluntary  work  weekly at  the  National Trust.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, DaveCali said:

Did you mean retirement visa in Thai or extension of Japanese visa to stay longer in Japan? Sorry I did not get the point. Even though I was so satisfied and happy traveling in Japan I get bored in one country more than 1-2 months. I rotate among USA, Europe, Thai, Japan and little bit Laos 

The point is very clear. You were talking about the treatment you got when coming in with different VISAS and also with NO VISA to Thailand. If you have extension of stay, you can go as you wish in and out as long as you just have an re entry permit and NO hazzle at all anywhere..... THAT was my point.

But now when I read what you say I understand that this actually has NOTHING to do with Thailand at all, it is just thai-bashing because you are probably bored this instance..... You have ADHD or like we say in Sweden "ants in the pants", and blame your inpatience on thai-immigration.... Right??

glegolo

Edited by glegolo
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, owl sees all said:

What about the Japanese ladies?

yes i would love to hear about that. In Youtube i saw sdomething about it...but only for YOUNG western men...wel...sorry but I am not that " young" anymore....LOL

btw i love japanese and korean ladies:-)..I think I am not alone here...hehehe.

I agree that Thai visa is a big hassle for most...and Thailand is getting expensive...but...isnt Japan also expensive?? At least if i do a reserarch on numbeo it tells me it is more expensive then Thailand. yes..?

regards,

Hans.

Edited by Hans007

2 hours ago, glegolo said:

The point is very clear. You were talking about the treatment you got when coming in with different VISAS and also with NO VISA to Thailand. If you have extension of stay, you can go as you wish in and out as long as you just have an re entry permit and NO hazzle at all anywhere..... THAT was my point.

But now when I read what you say I understand that this actually has NOTHING to do with Thailand at all, it is just thai-bashing because you are probably bored this instance..... You have ADHD or like we say in Sweden "ants in the pants", and blame your inpatience on thai-immigration.... Right??

glegolo

Well, it is very good for you that you were able to give up Swiss altogether and made thai a new home to yourself and proudly live there without "any ants in your pants".. then eat your papaya salad with sticky rice and never ever complain when mistreated by the thai immigration or by the condition of this developing country 

Edited by DaveCali
Corrected

8 minutes ago, DaveCali said:

Well, it is very good for you that you were able to give up Swiss altogether and made thai a new home to yourself and proudly live there without "any ants in your pants".. then eat your papaya salad with sticky rice and never ever complain when mistreated by the thai immigration or by the condition of this developing country 

Well you miss the point again my friend, and this time double up....

Firsty of all I gave you a suggestion to solve the problem you described originally, if you not like it,,, well that is up to you, but it only shows that you do not care a shit about any solution, cause you do not simply want to live in Thailand anymore. And you know what? That is just fine... 

Secondly, I have a hard time to give up "swiss",,, Because Sweden and Schwitzerland is two completely different countries... Dont you have this subject in school "over there", or is it just you??

Good luck among sushi and geishas, I am a bit envy you, I cannot deny that...

glegolo

An accurate opening post on Japan...  My family and I visit each year to Ski and spend some time in Tokyo (we have Japanese friends there).

Each trip we love it - only the architecture in Japan is bland, everything else is always rather impressive right down to popping into any restaurant and noodle shack and enjoying excellent quality. 

I'll actually be in Japan 3 times this year but I'm not sure I'd be ready to live there full time. 

Just like the UK, its a great place to visit for up to a month, but I have too many friends in Bangkok, my Wife has her family and friends in Bangkok and moving anywhere else isn't really an option while life is still so enjoyable where we are. That said, Bangkok is getting expensive, even a half decent house is now costing about US$400k.

There are no restrictions on Foreigners buying property in Japan but I'm not sure if they are readily affordable or the Median Mulitlple of Japanese housing indicates housing is unaffordable across the  majority of Japans prefectures. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hans007 said:

yes i would love to hear about that. In Youtube i saw sdomething about it...but only for YOUNG western men...wel...sorry but I am not that " young" anymore....LOL

btw i love japanese and korean ladies:-)..I think I am not alone here...hehehe.

I agree that Thai visa is a big hassle for most...and Thailand is getting expensive...but...isnt Japan also expensive?? At least if i do a reserarch on numbeo it tells me it is more expensive then Thailand. yes..?

regards,

Hans.

You need to consider all the cash poured into visa runs, extensions and hotels in Vientiane, the lost time is priceless .. not to mention the rough handling by immigration officers at times. Japan is giving away free homes actually as almost 1 in 10 homes are vacant due to the aging population. You can live on same budget as in Thai at many small cities if you shop and cook at home. I was very surprised how beautiful Nagasaki was yet all the beautiful beaches were so empty. 

• Confused 1

I had one exempt land crossing and one visa stamp for 2019 before a female officer at the Suvarnabhumi declared that I had too many visas (I had other Thai tourist visas in previous years, all legit, no overstays) and gave me lots of stress at the backside before granting my second visa exempt entery. I was very pissed by their unprofessional act and spent the following four months in Japan instead of Thai. I travel as a way of living and have stable source of income. I highly recommend living in Japan, here is why: Japan grants no-hassle 90-day visa exempt stay at each entry, apt rent around $300-$400 a month in most cities other than Tokyo and Osaka. Most grocery store items cheaper than Thai except fruit and vegetables. Great islands if you like island life. Better metro and cleaner cities than even europe and US. Wow, you can even ski in the winter and guess what; hot summer days start not in January but in June-July and it is never hot like hellish summers in thai. No one burns weeds to pollute air to a degree you can't breath for 5 months a year and so safe you can leave your door unlocked even in Tokyo. Check out Fukuoka and Kyoto you won’t regret. Great food as well, can’t be more happier. Thailand is not the only option you have. I shopped and cooked always as I am vegetarian.  Bakery is European in style and taste, most bakery items range from $2 to $4. You can buy sushi or other sort of ready made food at a grocery between $3 to $5. At night all those are 50 % off. You will pay about  double for the same food at an average restaurant. Metro network is amazing almost in every city and rides range from $1 to $2.5. Much cheaper than the BTS. Good beer like Kirin or Sapporo are $1 for a small and under $2 for a large bottle. Tokyo - Osaka (500 km) via a super clean and comfy night bus is only $15. They leave "precisely" on time and never pick up passengers at random stops. I truly love buses here. Milk, cheese, tofu, wine, yoghurt, bread, vegetable oil, all import items, chocolate ..you name it ..all significantly cheaper in japan.

I lived in Tokyo for years before I retired and one thing Japan is NOT is cheap [emoji38]. Don’t get me wrong I really loved Japan and we’ve been meaning to go back up there sometime again to visit possibly during the 2020 Olympics maybe I don’t know yet but Japan is one of the most expensive countries in all of Asia and the exchange rate even for the USD vrs the Yen is terrible. I’d love to live there again Japan is awesome but it’s seriously expensive even for those of us with a little more money than the average retiree in Thailand.
  • Like 1

53 minutes ago, keemapoot said:

What? I live in Thailand but also work and live in and rent an apartment in Japan, and it is over $2,500/month. There are small places at those prices you mentioned, but they are unfurnished, and require 2 year contracts, and it is extremely difficult for foreigners to rent in Japan, and huge deposits are required, together with guarantors, and there is a language issue as most do not speak English.

Japan is a great place, but not if you are not flush, and not if you don't have access to a visa. Visas are difficult, and unless you have the right one cannot buy a car or anything.

There are rentals for $10.000 a month too. I compare apples with apples here. I live now near Osaki Gotanda metro in Tokyo where 1 bedroom plus living room plus kitchen units go for $1.000. Units not as close to metro can be as low as $600 a month. Yes it is true they usually ask a few months worth deposit but lease can be 1 yr. But I suggest living in more rural Japan to fully take advantage of low cost living yet still enjoying the usual beauties here 

I had one exempt land crossing and one visa stamp for 2019 before a female officer at the Suvarnabhumi declared that I had too many visas (I had other Thai tourist visas in previous years, all legit, no overstays) and gave me lots of stress at the backside before granting my second visa exempt entery. I was very pissed by their unprofessional act and spent the following four months in Japan instead of Thai. I travel as a way of living and have stable source of income. I highly recommend living in Japan, here is why: Japan grants no-hassle 90-day visa exempt stay at each entry, apt rent around $300-$400 a month in most cities other than Tokyo and Osaka. Most grocery store items cheaper than Thai except fruit and vegetables. Great islands if you like island life. Better metro and cleaner cities than even europe and US. Wow, you can even ski in the winter and guess what; hot summer days start not in January but in June-July and it is never hot like hellish summers in thai. No one burns weeds to pollute air to a degree you can't breath for 5 months a year and so safe you can leave your door unlocked even in Tokyo. Check out Fukuoka and Kyoto you won’t regret. Great food as well, can’t be more happier. Thailand is not the only option you have. I shopped and cooked always as I am vegetarian.  Bakery is European in style and taste, most bakery items range from $2 to $4. You can buy sushi or other sort of ready made food at a grocery between $3 to $5. At night all those are 50 % off. You will pay about  double for the same food at an average restaurant. Metro network is amazing almost in every city and rides range from $1 to $2.5. Much cheaper than the BTS. Good beer like Kirin or Sapporo are $1 for a small and under $2 for a large bottle. Tokyo - Osaka (500 km) via a super clean and comfy night bus is only $15. They leave "precisely" on time and never pick up passengers at random stops. I truly love buses here. Milk, cheese, tofu, wine, yoghurt, bread, vegetable oil, all import items, chocolate ..you name it ..all significantly cheaper in japan.

“Significantly cheaper in Japan” is that a joke? Like I said I lived in Tokyo for years before I retired here in Thailand. Japan is very nice but by far not cheap at all.
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, DaveCali said:

There are rentals for $10.000 a month too. I compare apples with apples here. I live now near Osaki Gotanda metro in Tokyo where 1 bedroom plus living room plus kitchen units go for $1.000. Units not as close to metro can be as low as $600 a month. Yes it is true they usually ask a few months worth deposit but lease can be 1 yr. But I suggest living in more rural Japan to fully take advantage of low cost living yet still enjoying the usual beauties here 

In Tokyo there are more options, including furnished offerings for foreigners, but places are tiny at under $1,000. 1LDK (normal one bedrooms are all more, and there is usually key money involved to pay the landlord. Yes, sometimes lease terms can go as short as 1 year, and yes, rural Japan is best, but also most difficult without speaking Japanese, and also impossible to find guarantors who know you for apartment rentals. Transportation also has to be considered.

Sure, as I said many parts of Japan are wonderful, and for sure everyone should spend a longer time there if possible, and easy tourist entries for 90 days are allowed for many country passports.

2 minutes ago, Mel52 said:

“Significantly cheaper in Japan” is that a joke? Like I said I lived in Tokyo for years before I retired here in Thailand. Japan is very nice but by far not cheap at all.

I am living in Tokyo last 4 months, I am in Tokyo right now.  I go Life, Tokyu and other markets everyday .. I know what I am talking about .. I spent a year in Thai on an off, so I am in a great position to compare the two places. Most grocery items cheaper in Japan, fruit and vegetables are exception