Non-O extension based on marriage

I had this extension before, but last year due to my wife being unavoidably away, I had to change to retirement. This year I will change back to marriage.

At the time of the first application  a few years ago, I remember we needed to provide a witness at the immigration office (Udon) with one(?) copy of their ID and house registration.

Having said that, we can’t remember if it was one witness or two at the application stage?

I assume it's still the same process?

It was 2 years ago and I understood from a friend it was still the fact last November of needing one witness although he said it was odd that when they cam to visit his house they needed witness there also. Be interested to know how you get on as I shall be renewing my marriage extension there in about a months time

Just asked at my local office, Petchaburi, one witness for my renewal.

You might want to check though.

When we first moved we had to use Hua Hin for the first renewal in a new province.

They wanted two witnesses for that.

So, if you're switching I don't know if it will be different.

12 hours ago, bluesofa said:

At the time of the first application  a few years ago, I remember we needed to provide a witness at the immigration office (Udon) with one(?) copy of their ID and house registration.

Having said that, we can’t remember if it was one witness or two at the application stage?

In Udon it is 2 locals (sugestion of some government official like your phu yai for 1) for your first extension then 1 for subsequent extensions. However as you are swapping, marrage, retirement, marriage you may only need 1.

It is best to check with immigration as your case is not clear. Don't forget a new KR2/KR22 will be needed.

12 hours ago, geoffbezoz said:

It was 2 years ago and I understood from a friend it was still the fact last November of needing one witness although he said it was odd that when they cam to visit his house they needed witness there also. Be interested to know how you get on as I shall be renewing my marriage extension there in about a months time

You will need only 1 witness as it's a renewal and if you have had a "home" visit before you will not get 1 this time.

10 hours ago, sometimewoodworker said:

You will need only 1 witness as it's a renewal and if you have had a "home" visit before you will not get 1 this time.

Not true Trat visit last year and this year. And only one witness, as written at # 12IMG_1417.thumb.JPG.bfeee737afa426210e57a913083cccde.JPGIMG_1418.thumb.jpg.3229b604dec09d152adfd785e7eb9787.jpg 

In Udon it is 2 locals (sugestion of some government official like your phu yai for 1) for your first extension then 1 for subsequent extensions. However as you are swapping, marrage, retirement, marriage you may only need 1.

It is best to check with immigration as your case is not clear. Don't forget a new KR2/KR22 will be needed.

I've got the KR2 in hand to request on the day before I go to immigration.

I notice you wrote KR2/KR22 - as if it's one or the other? What's a KR22 anyway?

When I did my marriage extension of stay before I had to let it lapse, the second year (2017) we didn't take a witness and it wasn't mentioned. Has that changed now?

1 hour ago, brianthainess said:

Not true Trat visit last year and this year. And only one witness, as written at # 12

Every office has their own requirements. You cannot use list from one office and expect to be correct at another office.

Not all office require witnesses. I would say the majority do not require them.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, bluesofa said:

I've got the KR2 in hand to request on the day before I go to immigration.

I notice you wrote KR2/KR22 - as if it's one or the other? What's a KR22 anyway?

KR2 is for Thai marriages KR22 for foreign marrages Registered in Thailand 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Not true Trat visit last year and this year. And only one witness, as written at # 12 

If you could be bothered to follow the thread I was replying to @bluesofa so talking specifically about Udon immigration not any other immigration office.

As with many things here what is true for one office or officer may not be true for another.

@ubonjoe the guru ???? 

has good information about what is usually required at many offices ???? but I doubt that even he can be sure of every requirement by every office as they change so often.

2 hours ago, bluesofa said:

When I did my marriage extension of stay before I had to let it lapse, the second year (2017) we didn't take a witness and it wasn't mentioned. Has that changed now?

I think you will find that it has, I was certainly required to bring one in April this year to udon immigration office 

Edited by sometimewoodworker
  • Thanks 1

When i did my first marriage extension (in Udon Thani) i only had to provide one witness for the actual extension, the second was for the home visit. That was a few years ago, but doubt if it has changed. I do take a witness for each renewal of extension. Need the usual half a tree worth of paper work ....

If the pound sinks much lower I will have a problem with the 65,000 Baht/month. I still bring over 800,000 Baht a year but it comes in unequal payments. So I'm thinking next year I'll change to a Marriage Extension.

What I need to know is how do I go about changing from Retirement to Marriage. What extra documentation do I need.

On 7/31/2019 at 10:08 AM, ubonjoe said:

Every office has their own requirements. You cannot use list from one office and expect to be correct at another office.

Not all office require witnesses. I would say the majority do not require them.

fyi - did my non o extension (marriage) in Hua Hin on the 1st, they wanted a witness - again. In Krabi they only wanted one for the first time though that may be changed now..