Expats feeling the pinch as GBP sinks to an all time low against the THB

webfact

• Replies 588
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, mstevens said:

1 pound currently gets just 37.3 baht at Vasu Exchange, Sukhumvit soi 7/1. OUCH!

This will for sure trigger the search for the cheapest beer bars ...

11 minutes ago, thirdleg said:

BS, how could you possibly know.

Its you who appears to be financially illiterate 

lol buddy.....its you who are illiterate it would seem. You've quoted the wrong person ????????????????

3 hours ago, mstevens said:

1 pound currently gets just 37.3 baht at Vasu Exchange, Sukhumvit soi 7/1. OUCH!

The Euro isn't doing to well either, QE is expected in Euroland and more rate reductions, sign of the times to come.

3 hours ago, shackleton said:

I have already mentioned before about Brexit  not going to be a good thing  for the UK

especially the exchange rate for expats here ( Pensions ect )  in Thailand and else where 

The people of the UK voted  to come out of the EU

Boris has promised to get us out by the 31st October with a deal or no deal

expect worse for the pound sterling in the near future 

This will be short term pain for a long term gain, trust me...............I'm a Banker!

3 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

The sooner Britain gets out of the EU the better. The uncertainty and scaremongering will be seen for what they and the £ will return to higher levels.

Agree. Too many on TV listening to the exaggerated bollax about the BREXIT end of the world BS! The longer term it will be better for the UK and Expats! Much will be business as usual because supply chains don't get changed so easy and it is corporate suicide to change your long standing supply chain! Just like when Cola changed its recipe and lost 20% market share.

Yes there will be issues but with contingency planning in place they can be managed. 

The EU is just a protectionist zone where sustained growth across nation states is impossible because all the members in the club are different in so many ways, be that culture, population, GDP, skills, industries, incomes, wealth, poverty, Oh and the big one DEBT, one could go on! When the EU goes down you don't want to be in it!!!!!!!!

17 minutes ago, Chivas said:

Its all about Sterling, the Euros, AUD and other countries continued ever growing weakness against the Dollar on one side of the pairings thats doing the extreme damage

There was talk this week in Jawboning the US dollar down but for us Aussies it will mean nothing as the RBA will just weaken our interest rates even further, thus weakening our currency more. Our currency is in the bin and will be for years. Our interest rates are not going to move. The baht would have to collapse to the US dollar in a major way for anything to happen and I cannot see that at all.

6 minutes ago, soalbundy said:

The Euro isn't doing to well either, QE is expected in Euroland and more rate reductions, sign of the times to come.

Target 2 being the "elephant in the room" in Euroland!????

Currently around a trillion Euros.

36 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Like any (non Euro-zone) country, Thailand has full control over interest rates, the central bank can also buy and sell massive amounts of $ and other foreign currencies with Baht,  so moving the currency.

Thailand's central bank has the means with which to manipulate it's currency, I don't know how you could possibly "know" if it does or not?

One week usd and baht.  Look it up on any currency exchange.  Thailand has not controlled the baht since 1997.

usd.png

baht2.png

1 hour ago, robertson468 said:

This will be short term pain for a long term gain, trust me...............I'm a Banker!

Fully agree! I am retired from the Corp world but now run The Med Syndicate, a Spanish property Investment Syndicate and our member investors (Up to 10 now) are very positive about post BREXIT and the opportunities that are already presenting themselves to us. And we for-see a good outlook going forward 2020.

3 hours ago, PremiumLane said:

What you get when the nation (UK) gets hoodwinked and taken over by a bunch of right wing lunatics, who have no idea what they are doing and rely solely on hyperbole, bluster and outright bs

So Jeremy Corbyn and the shadow treasurer's proposed lifetime gift tax (LGT) of 125K sterling is a real winner for you is it?

4 minutes ago, robertson468 said:

Do you want to check your spelling?  ????????????

Seriously though I am sure that the economy will recover eventually and those who can ride it out may one day be better off.  I couldn't wait that long losing money and moved my Business to mainland Europe when it was obvious that Johnson was going to win the vote.  I now trade using the Euro and the US dollar.  I will retire long before the UK economy recovers if we leave without a deal.  If there is a deal then I might revert to the UK depending on what it is.

6 minutes ago, marcusarelus said:

Euro vs pound.  Pound is the one going down

euro.png

...and that's including bailing out the PIGS countries.

The only things that Euroland has to worry about now are:

Target 2

Italy

Deutsche Bank
Brexit -£39 billion

Also, Super-Mario being replaced by Legarde.

hahaha, when I see where our countries drifting too.... doesnt matter if ENGLAND, SWEDEN, GERMANY or the US ... what do you expect?
By the end of 2040 so about 20 years from now on, ALL our social systems will be shattered and there will be MILLIONS of jobless people joining the jobless ppl nowadays...

ASIA is strong - THAILAND is ASIA ... when i told people to invest in ThaiBaht 20 years ago they was laughing... now i do!! ????????

Cheers or Allahhahahhahahahha

2 hours ago, Geordie59 said:

The sooner Britain gets out of the EU the better. The uncertainty and scaremongering will be seen for what they and the £ will return to higher levels.

Dreamer 

11 minutes ago, PremiumLane said:

and in a nutshell you have summed up Brexit.

Everything will be better after Brexit!!! 

OK, how?

I can't tell you, it just will be.

Investors don't like uncertainty, it's not the Brexit itself it's the clowns in Westminster taking 3 years to implement it!

It's mainly the uncertainty that Brexit is bringing and not Brexit itself. If the remoaners hadn't scuppered the divorce then we would already have had hit bottom and been well on the way to recovery by now. 

Good time to buy sterling if you have spare cash available.

Den

2 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

...and that's including bailing out the PIGS countries.

The only things that Euroland has to worry about now are:

Target 2

Italy

Deutsche Bank
Brexit -£39 billion

Also, Super-Mario being replaced by Legarde.

you really think thats the only thing EUROLAND has to worry about?

Allahahhahahahahha ... what did you expect when you fall back to your CommonWEALTH dreams? England is by far not more important for Europe as Litavia or Luxembourgh... Whoever in Europe is not playing MERKELS game is playing no game at all anymore ????  sad but true

13 minutes ago, totally thaied up said:

There was talk this week in Jawboning the US dollar down but for us Aussies it will mean nothing as the RBA will just weaken our interest rates even further, thus weakening our currency more. Our currency is in the bin and will be for years. Our interest rates are not going to move. The baht would have to collapse to the US dollar in a major way for anything to happen and I cannot see that at all.

AUD and GBP are going down the drain. Ponzi real estate economies. You think it is only THB, but look at MYR, VND, SGD, IDR.... more or less the same story. I will budget for AUD sub 20 Baht in the coming year or two. 

3 hours ago, keith101 said:

David id lucky mine has gone from around 50,000 down to just over 36,000 and if it keeps sliding possibly wont make the requirement for immigration the only possible saviour will be the bi-annual increase to the pension in September .

Then you should get a none immigrant multi entrance cat O visa 90day stay. 

Archived