Thai tourist held in Japan over highway accident

webfact

9 hours ago, TallGuyJohninBKK said:

And not just what the respective country's laws allow in terms of maximums, but more importantly, what the court systems in the respective countries actually typically hand down in terms of sentences.... and whether those are actually enforced once the person heads off to prison.

Simple fact of the matter is, neither the Thai police nor the Thai courts treat reckless driving / drunk driving / road mayhem as seriously as it deserves to be treated in order to protect human life.

Unless the guilty party is a foreigner

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, wisperone said:

Probably more likely playing a game on his phone. I wouldn't blame any country for not allowing Thai's to drive in their country.

I went back to the Uk to renew my Uk licence, and in a senior moment mixed the dates up meaning i could only hire at the airport for 4 days, so i asked if i could rent with my Thai drivers licence,""""""""" they just laughed at me.

• Like 1

Apart from the above commented (  which I mostly agree with ) I think it could’ve have happened to anyone of us driving anywhere in the world at an given time , regardless of the culture and nationality, whilst driving you can get distracted at times then shit happens and you probably won’t get away with especially in Japan, I wouldn’t want upset Japanese people though, saying this he’s going to experience the first world ways of enforcing and obeying the law in a transparent and disciplined manner.

I wouldn’t want to speculate when he lands in prison in company of other inmates, Japanese ones ???? 

This will probably be considered a tragic accident  involving also injuries especially in Japan known for their high safety standards rules and regulations and precision,  completely the opposite of Thailand, I’m afraid so..

It will make news and a big impact on both parties, a big wake up call for him ????????‍♂️

4 minutes ago, Almer said:

I went back to the Uk to renew my Uk licence, and in a senior moment mixed the dates up meaning i could only hire at the airport for 4 days, so i asked if i could rent with my Thai drivers licence,""""""""" they just laughed at me.

Last time in the UK, a couple of years back, used my Thai DL to hire a car at Avis Heathrow. No problem.

9 minutes ago, Almer said:

Strange. Both my wife and myself have rented cars every year in UK without a problem with Thai licences.

Even if/when we go back to UK my wife can use her Thai licence for a year before she has to take a test for a UK licence.

All I can think of is that you had a two year first Thai licence that is not accepted in UK. 

Edited by overherebc
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

Apart from the above commented (  which I mostly agree with ) I think it could’ve have happened to anyone of us driving anywhere in the world at an given time , regardless of the culture and nationality, whilst driving you can get distracted at times then shit happens and you probably won’t get away with especially in Japan, I wouldn’t want upset Japanese people though, saying this he’s going to experience the first world ways of enforcing and obeying the law in a transparent and disciplined manner.

I wouldn’t want to speculate when he lands in prison in company of other inmates, Japanese ones ???? 

This will probably be considered a tragic accident  involving also injuries especially in Japan known for their high safety standards rules and regulations and precision,  completely the opposite of Thailand, I’m afraid so..

It will make news and a big impact on both parties, a big wake up call for him ????????‍♂️

It could happen to any one of us, but this thai driver would be oblivious to what was going on around in front behind etc and in the first world order, why, because its how it is, today i almost upended a lady with a small child on her motorbike who cut across the junction and attacked my nearside going in the opposite direction, dam and blast 30 seconds later dam woman same manoeuvre at another junction, as i say there is no awareness to what, when, or wear and danger is never contemplated, on the second occurrence i managed to make a comment to said lady who greeted me with a wonderful smile, i wonder if that smile would have been forthcoming if she was sat in a heap under the front of my pickup with the child sat on top of her

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Ramdas said:

Unfortunately only for him, wake up call that is. All else will have the thought it's because the Japanese don't like Thai people.

• Sad 1

Part of Japan’s tourism growing pains.

They have been pushing themselves as a tourist destination with a huge increase in numbers of tourists in recent years and relaxation of visa rules - hence the large numbers of Thais going there over the last decade.

Read some of the comments with amusement, reminded me of my colleagues who went to Europe with my words of warning ringing in their ears, their 10 day road trip had no accidents but around Euro 500 in traffic violation fines, when they returned their hire car.

This may be the sort of incident that triggers a re-think from Japanese authorities on what driving licenses they consider valid to rent a car...personally, I wouldn’t want to rent one to a Thai holidaying overseas, having seen the general driving standard in country. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, overherebc said:

Strange. Both my wife and myself have rented cars every year in UK without a problem with Thai licences.

Even if/when we go back to UK my wife can use her Thai licence for a year before she has to take a test for a UK licence.

All I can think of is that you had a two year first Thai licence that is not accepted in UK. 

No i had a 5 year all my addresses matched and hertz refused the thai licence, who did you hire with, it appears its all to do with there insures not being able to collect in the event of.

25 minutes ago, Almer said:

No idea why as my Thai licence was perfectly acceptable.

10 minutes ago, Almer said:

No i had a 5 year all my addresses matched and hertz refused the thai licence, who did you hire with, it appears its all to do with there insures not being able to collect in the event of.

Hertx, Avis, Eurocar, never a problem.

During my trip to japan, I thought of renting a car for touring but my Japanese friend advised against it citing horrendous payout to the accident victims if it is your fault and also jail time. Japan’s punishment for vehicular accident is very much different from Thailand’s.

44 minutes ago, Almer said:

It could happen to any one of us, but this thai driver would be oblivious to what was going on around in front behind etc and in the first world order, why, because its how it is, today i almost upended a lady with a small child on her motorbike who cut across the junction and attacked my nearside going in the opposite direction, dam and blast 30 seconds later dam woman same manoeuvre at another junction, as i say there is no awareness to what, when, or wear and danger is never contemplated, on the second occurrence i managed to make a comment to said lady who greeted me with a wonderful smile, i wonder if that smile would have been forthcoming if she was sat in a heap under the front of my pickup with the child sat on top of her

Thai motorcyclist ride like you are obliged to look out for him /her. They would cut in front of you and do their thing. If you knock them down, they will put it to their karma or luck. If you look out for them, then it make their day ..... so it goes on and on ... until one day they meet their karma. 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, keith101 said:

The Japanese need to understand that Thai drivers have had very little or no driver training , an example of this is my wife's daughter who did 2 30 minute driving lessons with an instructor during her lunch break and on the 3rd day did her test and was given her license 

Keith, it sounds like the young ladies parents were overly permissive.    The number of lessons taken were up to the girl's parents.  

My Mrs. took  driver training from a local school and it included 5 hours of classroom instruction and 15 hours of actual driving with a dual controlled car with an instructor.

It all boils down to a matter of expense or savings.