This will be my last post

FaFaHead

4 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I do agree that Thailand has gone backwards, on a couple of dozen levels, over the past 15 years. It is not the place it once was, and it is absolutely not a better place, nor a friendlier place for foreigners or ex-pats. However, I like my life here, despite the intense passion, with which I despise the completely useless Thai army. 

The only way I would return to the US, would be if I was offered a job that paid at least $1,000,000 a year. Then I would suffer through three or four years there, and leave for good. It is also not the country it once was. And it is also becoming a lesser version of itself, rapidly. There is no making America great again. It is what it is, and it is not going to get better. That has nothing to do with immigration. I am very fond of people of all colors, and I think they are the best part of America. As I have often posted here, white American men are the ones who scare me the most back there. Some are ignorant beyond the furthest reaches of my imagination. It is the overall quality of life. Unless you are a multi millionaire, it is hard to live well on a budget these days, and nearly everything is ridiculously overpriced, especially anything to do with labor, real estate, etc. 

Lastly, and mostly, for me it is the attitudes of the people, and especially the women. Sour, disenfranchised, bitter, surly, unfriendly, and heavy hearted. I do not blame them. It is a tough place to be at this time, and if the women were not confused before, Me Too has confused them even more, and made many of them into romantic zombies. 

Hence, I would rather be here. Most of the Thai people I encounter are far more pleasant, less surly, and have humor and a light heart. Of course, I am not referring to Pattaya, Phuket, or Samui. Those are blight zones, when it comes to the locals, as most are jaded and have lost their charm. The cost of living is still affordable, the food is amazing and alot less expensive, traveling around the region is great, and life is really good in general. 

Lots of truths here.

I did go back to corporate America after 10+ years in Thailand.

About the only benefit I can see right now is I will have more of a retirement than if I stayed in Thailand.

I think you never realize these things when you are having a good time and forget about the future.

Pensions have become a thing of the past and you are expected to save your own retirement funds via a matching 401K.

Health insurance, I pay around $175 a month for the privilege of having it, then I have to pay the first $9,000 out of pocket before the insurance even kicks in. Not much of a benefit.

People in the US, many are struggling and surviving on minimum wage.

Mental health issues, where people will just wake up and go out to Walmart and shoot everyone they see.

So much for the American Dream that doesn't really exist for most.

And yes you are right, it is NOT the same.

Everywhere we look the world is changing.

Thailand is no exception. 

Under the Taksin regime, I never felt any issues being a foreigner living in Thailand.

Now? With all the new rules and regulations like the TM-30 reporting? You have to ask yourself if this regime really embraces expats or rather toot their media horns when they arrest a bunch?

• Like 2

16 hours ago, bwpage3 said:

Lots of truths here.

About the only benefit I can see right now is I will have more of a retirement than if I stayed in Thailand.

I think you never realize these things when you are having a good time and forget about the future.

Pensions have become a thing of the past and you are expected to save your own retirement funds via a matching 401K.

Health insurance, I pay around $175 a month for the privilege of having it, then I have to pay the first $9,000 out of pocket before the insurance even kicks in. Not much of a benefit.

Mental health issues, where people will just wake up and go out to Walmart and shoot everyone they see.

Under the Taksin regime, I never felt any issues being a foreigner living in Thailand.

Now? With all the new rules and regulations like the TM-30 reporting? You have to ask yourself if this regime really embraces expats or rather toot their media horns when they arrest a bunch?

I think quite the opposite. I think this regime is making a deliberate effort to discourage ex-pats from staying. Means little to me. I am staying. This crummy, incompetent, feckless, hapless, useless regime  will be long gone before I am! 

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

I think quite the opposite. I think this regime is making a deliberate effort to discourage ex-pats from staying. Means little to me. I am staying. This crummy, incompetent, feckless, hapless, useless regime  will be long gone before I am! 

I’m not so sure the regime itself can be held to blame for this latest xenophobic reaction meted out against foreigners. The junta leadership spent lengthy careers in the military and developed close, enduring friendships along the way with their foreign counterparts. I have certain direct experience in this and know it to be true.  No, I rather believe that certain policemen have now risen up the ranks to occupy powerful and influential positions, and can now dictate immigration policies that they felt were needed from earlier times in their careers. Many may have undoubtedly had previous run-ins with seedier, more vulgar long term foreign residents and/or tourists as their careers were underway.

These senior officers now have the authority to officially expose their distaste in the form of harsh policies that they have long considered as necessary to prevent the lower end of immigrating humanity from infesting the Kingdom.  The issue of course is that in promulgating such policies that we now see being placed into effect, they have sadly painted all of us with the same broad brush and overreacted. For every unworthy long term expat living here, I’d wager that there are ten or even twenty others who are genteel, respect the Thai culture and have never had difficulties funding their lives in Thailand. They have spent huge, imported funds to buy and maintain homes, taken good care of their adopted Thai families and kept their noses clean.  By lumping these retirees into a lopsided mix, the unfairness of it all becomes glaringly apparent. But I daresay that even the more refined long- term foreigners here will take all this with a grain of salt and not let it ruin their lives or dilute their appreciation for the Thai people. Hopefully this unfortunate era will pass and we will ultimately see more tolerant policies ushered in.  

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Fore Man said:

I’m not so sure the regime itself can be held to blame for this latest xenophobic reaction meted out against foreigners. The junta leadership spent lengthy careers in the military and developed close, enduring friendships along the way with their foreign counterparts. I have certain direct experience in this and know it to be true.  No, I rather believe that certain policemen have now risen up the ranks to occupy powerful and influential positions, and can now dictate immigration policies that they felt were needed from earlier times in their careers. Many may have undoubtedly had previous run-ins with seedier, more vulgar long term foreign residents and/or tourists as their careers were underway.

These senior officers now have the authority to officially expose their distaste in the form of harsh policies that they have long considered as necessary to prevent the lower end of immigrating humanity from infesting the Kingdom.  The issue of course is that in promulgating such policies that we now see being placed into effect, they have sadly painted all of us with the same broad brush and overreacted. For every unworthy long term expat living here, I’d wager that there are ten or even twenty others who are genteel, respect the Thai culture and have never had difficulties funding their lives in Thailand. They have spent huge, imported funds to buy and maintain homes, taken good care of their adopted Thai families and kept their noses clean.  By lumping these retirees into a lopsided mix, the unfairness of it all becomes glaringly apparent. But I daresay that even the more refined long- term foreigners here will take all this with a grain of salt and not let it ruin their lives or dilute their appreciation for the Thai people. Hopefully this unfortunate era will pass and we will ultimately see more tolerant policies ushered in.  

You may be right about some of that. But, if you recall, the first two or three years of the junta were spent disparaging foreigners during the PM's press conferences constantly. I think someone finally slapped him around, and he stopped doing it, during his last two years, of the past regime. But, the hatred, racism, and xenophobia was in the air. And the biggest joke perpetuated it further. He was one of the biggest fools, in the history of the nation. Small Oud does not seem to be much of an improvement. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎5‎/‎2019 at 6:32 PM, spidermike007 said:

I do agree that Thailand has gone backwards, on a couple of dozen levels, over the past 15 years. It is not the place it once was, and it is absolutely not a better place, nor a friendlier place

Which could be said about most places on the planet. The sheer number of people has put paid to friendliness to strangers.

Lastly, and mostly, for me it is the attitudes of the people, and especially the women. Sour, disenfranchised, bitter, surly, unfriendly, and heavy hearted. I do not blame them. It is a tough place to be at this time, and if the women were not confused before, Me Too has confused them even more, and made many of them into romantic zombies. 

They were so in the west long before Me Too. I worked in a female dominated occupation for many years, and learned early on to never say or do anything that could be misinterpreted.

Mind you, women were never shy of insulting men, or of using sexual attraction as a means of gaining some benefit. A friend would crow about how she got free drinks in a pub from men, and then walking away.

Hence, I would rather be here. Most of the Thai people I encounter are far more pleasant, less surly, and have humor and a light heart.

You missed lacking PC. That was one of the things I loved most about living in LOS. How refreshing it was to be able to look at a pretty girl and get a smile, not a scowl, back.

Unfortunately, prosperity has made even bargirls think they are special, and that smile is now too often replaced by a frown.

3 hours ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Which could be said about most places on the planet. The sheer number of people has put paid to friendliness to strangers.

They were so in the west long before Me Too. I worked in a female dominated occupation for many years, and learned early on to never say or do anything that could be misinterpreted.

Mind you, women were never shy of insulting men, or of using sexual attraction as a means of gaining some benefit. A friend would crow about how she got free drinks in a pub from men, and then walking away.

You missed lacking PC. That was one of the things I loved most about living in LOS. How refreshing it was to be able to look at a pretty girl and get a smile, not a scowl, back.

Unfortunately, prosperity has made even bargirls think they are special, and that smile is now too often replaced by a frown.

Good points. Especially about the women back there using their feminine wiles when it serves them, and shutting it down entirely, most other times. Sorry. I do not have time for those games, nor the lifestyle, nor the human icebergs. 

I still get smiles from a lot of Thai women. Yes, even non working girls. I am amazed when a lovely 22 year old waitress takes my order, I make a joke and she laughs and smiles, and is just entirely pleasant and fun. She comes back with my food, and has a silly smile on her face. I cannot get enough of that!

I could travel around the US for ten years, and probably never have that same experience. Pleasant and professional is about the most I could ask for in a US restaurant or bar, from a younger attractive woman. 

On 8/7/2019 at 5:47 AM, spidermike007 said:

Good points. Especially about the women back there using their feminine wiles when it serves them, and shutting it down entirely, most other times. Sorry. I do not have time for those games, nor the lifestyle, nor the human icebergs. 

I still get smiles from a lot of Thai women. Yes, even non working girls. I am amazed when a lovely 22 year old waitress takes my order, I make a joke and she laughs and smiles, and is just entirely pleasant and fun. She comes back with my food, and has a silly smile on her face. I cannot get enough of that!

I could travel around the US for ten years, and probably never have that same experience. Pleasant and professional is about the most I could ask for in a US restaurant or bar, from a younger attractive woman. 

"I still get smiles from a lot of Thai women"

There is a very distinct reason this doesn't happen in the US and we all know what it is.

On 8/5/2019 at 12:16 PM, bwpage3 said:

Lots of truths here.

Theodore Driesler. The American Dream. Upton Sinclair. The Jungle. The American Dream never existed. It was a Hollywood fantasy creation 

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

"I still get smiles from a lot of Thai women"

There is a very distinct reason this doesn't happen in the US and we all know what it is.

Yes. The absolute and total inability to manifest the dignity within femininity. Women in the US do not really know what it means to be a woman, anymore. They are terribly confused about their place in the world, and their relationship to men. No wonder millennials are having less sex than any generation prior. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, bwpage3 said:

I have always had the thought that those in power do not want foreigners here for the simple fact that we can educate our wives/partners when they try to pull some shady corrupt practices and give a lying excuse to get most Thai's to believe it.

An example I was personally involved in years ago was when the Army decided to buy those Airship Blimps in lieu of all weather helicopters. Useless expensive purchase that never flew a mission, however, it padded the retiring Army Chiefs retirement to the point he never has to worry about money.

There use to be a decent Thai writer at the Bangkok Post who once told me, the news is Thailand is not like anywhere else in the world. They will not print any stories, true or not, against the powers to be, for their own personal safety or against the powers buying advertising. That is why nothing is ever investigated or uncovered. Good example was the watch scandal. The US News would have got to the bottom of this story in full, but in Thailand, the powers to be expect the "dumb" Thai's to believe his story he was personally borrowing million dollar watches from a friend????????

Foreigners for the most part, and this is an assumption rather than fact, marry a lot of girls from Isaan and beyond that are proned (due to lack of education) to believe anything they see or hear on the tv from the govt and others.

This is great for the powers to be, as they can spin any ridiculous story they want and steer clear of any legal issues from corruption and worse.

To bolster this point? How many new school has you seen being built in the past 10 years in rural areas? Thai grades across the board are getting lower each year. Tons of uneducated people in Isaan, the south and all the rural areas of Thailand.

Does the gov't want all these people educated to the point where they no longer think corruption is acceptable and will challenge their corrupt lies?

Without foreigners to educate their wives/partners, the powers to be can spin what ever excuses they want and get away with it. Thai's will never question it.

You have to think about this. Middle class and wealthy Thai's simple do not marry Isaan girls. 

Foreigners that do marry, live in Isaan and support poor families should be looked at positively as to making a contribution to the country, given benefits, VISA's etc. but they are looked at now a days as being a problem.

You should ask yourself what other reason is it so hard for foreigners to live in Thailand, when Thai's can live in most countries around the world without having to do TM-30 and other crazy reporting requirements?

The fact remains that only the foreigners will report the Truth and that is a great fear among the powers to be. Being exposed and being caught in the world media seems to be the only way to get action.

Great post. Yes, I agree. I have been concluding that the powers that be, and the elite want to keep the population dumb, ignorant and not well informed. Also, it may be at the root of why the educational system goes so far out of it's way to completely stamp out the curiosity of the students. I always assumed it was a threat to the ego of the teachers. There may be alot more to this, than that. If so, it is positively diabolical in its nature. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Great post. Yes, I agree. I have been concluding that the powers that be, and the elite want to keep the population dumb, ignorant and not well informed. Also, it may be at the root of why the educational system goes so far out of it's way to completely stamp out the curiosity of the students. I always assumed it was a threat to the ego of the teachers. There may be alot more to this, than that. If so, it is positively diabolical in its nature. 

Agree with you but saying Issan have tons of uneducated is grossly unfair. Thailand in general is uneducated. Let's face it a Thai university degree is basically worthless outside of Thailand and gets more jokes made about them than ever. Morals ? well most Thai university girls seem to be on Thaifriendly by all accounts and its not to learn English !!

However Issan people are not quite as dim as Thai hiso ( or should that be arsos ? ) like to make out.  Many have more common sense than others. Sure its a laugh for them to poke fun at people that have to work rice because central government and those that control them needs to ensure a cheap supply stream. Whilst the brainwashing started by adopting central Thai as the language in what, the 1952 curriculum change? the local dialects are as strong as ever.  The powers that be have shown utter contempt for their own people for decades so it is not surprising they treat foreigners with similar disdain. Basically it only goes to reinforce what most people think about the governing classes/hiso Thais - they are more ignorant than they could possibly understand.

Interesting comments, yet what I read mostly are people remembering how "it was".

The times they are a changing, as Dylan sang in the 60's.

Like grandpas reminiscing. 

Accept that the world has changed

Nothing will be as it was (nada sera como antes)

Be here now

Life is what you make it

On 8/8/2019 at 7:42 PM, geoffbezoz said:

Agree with you but saying Issan have tons of uneducated is grossly unfair.

Less than 20% of Thais have ever attended high school.

If leaving school at age 12 doesn't count as 'uneducated', you'll need to explain what does.

Edited by BritManToo

17 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

Most of us are grandpas reminiscing.

Our lives are over and we're waiting for death, all we have left is our memories, and they're gradually leaving us as well.

Not a bleedin' chance, all my faculties are still...erm...what was I saying Marjorie??

On 8/9/2019 at 12:58 AM, Alfa said:

I pass away BUT I will take the flight out of Thailand before I pass away and die somewhere else,,,, anywhere. I wish I want to know it 1 week before and I shall be very happy to pass away. 

Wish happiness to everybody who read my answer.

Well I hope you get the opportunity to fulfill your wish...but when it comes right down to it, when that time comes, the ending may not allow for you to leave. When things start to go bad, it can happen very quickly.

• Like 1

On 7/30/2019 at 5:40 AM, FaFaHead said:

555! I left because of Trump, believe me, I’m not looking forward to the noise in that regard again. I was referring to American order, structure, efficiency. I am a military person and those things are important to me and are sorely lacking here. 

Not only military persons appreciate structure, order and efficiency, for many of as as we get older ,the above become more and more important.

Coming to Thailand I can't remember how long, married to a lovely Thai lady for about 13 yers now. We have a nice house in Thailand and were planning to retire there full time later this year. But by now I am getting older,(I will be 63 next bday) and all the visa, med insurance, TM39, money transfers  BS are becoming a hassle, plus both of my wife's parents have passed away, and we don't have as much reason to be there.

so we are re-assessing our retirement plans. 

Not only Thailand has changed but we have changed also.

Wife is in Thailand right now taking care of some business, she is coming back to the US Monday, she said she wanted to buy a new car (Mazda SX5) , when i said but honey your car in fine and we will be going to Thailand in a few months anyway., she said, she likes it in the US,likes the food, the safety, the order. and perhaps we should wait one more year. We can go to Thailand for a few months and play it by ear.

Anyway we will see, but I am not so certain anymore.  

• Like 2

555! I left because of Trump, believe me, I’m not looking forward to the noise in that regard again. I was referring to American order, structure, efficiency. I am a military person and those things are important to me and are sorely lacking here. 

Leaving a country because one disagrees with an elected official seems a bit silly to me. If one expects happiness via who is holding a specific elected office, that person can probably expect a less than satisfactory life. Don’t like the news - turn it off.

We split our time between Thailand and the US and find good people, living happy lives and hoping for a bit better for their children in both locations.

While I commend you for analyzing and acting vs sticking around unhappily, I sincerely hope you don’t find the same back in the US.

As an ex-military I am sure you are probably familiar with the saying that the best base/post is the one you just came from, or the one you are soon to be transferred to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
  • Like 1