Motor Car Green Book

TimD

Hi - I'm sorry for asking this because I know there will be a post explaining all this somewhere but I searched and can't find it... 

I purchased a motor vehicle from the mainland.  It was a government one and the dealer said they'd get the green book so I withheld 80K from the sale price. 

Two months later no green book.  I live in Koh Phangan so things are a little bit loose here and I can get away with it but I want to go travelling to the mainland and check things out there.  I'm told police are much more strict on the mainland and obviously that makes sense.  

I'm told I can't get insurance without the green book and that if I don't have the green book and get pulled over the car will be impounded.  

Can someone just please spell it out for me in simple, easy to understand language what I need (have driver's lic already) to make the car 100% legal and insurable to go travelling on the mainland.  

Please only reply if you actually know.  

Thanks very much in advance.  

T. 

Insurance companies will want to see a copy of the blue book. Most will only issue the policy in the name of the owner.

• Did you get a receipt when you bought the car? If so, go to the police and file a lost report and then apply for a new blue book at the Transport Office.
  • A copy of the registration must be kept in the car to show the police when stopped. ( i don't think they will impound the car)

Maybe the dealer is waiting for the 80k before they give you the book.

If you do not have the Blue Book in your name you do not own the car. You need a certificate of residency before the car can be transfered to you, I presume it is a car otherwise for a motorcycle it would be a green book.

Get it sorted before venturing to the mainland, the vehicle you think you own could belong to anybody and still have money owing on it under a payment plan.

• Like 1

It was bought from a dealer who said it was a government car. This part is believable because the word “IMMIGRATION” can be seen where the sticker once was on the rear glass.  The dealer is saying it’s the government that’s the hood up in getting the blue book.  It they’ve had two months already and I’m sick of the runaround.  I also believe it’s not insurable without the blue book. Is that correct?

You don't need a blue book to get insurance. If you finance a car and pay monthly payments you do not get the blue book until you pay off the car. You should be able to get insurance with the bill of sale.