Thai wife of seriously ill British man threatened with deportation as husband ‘fears for his life’

webfact

4 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Have you never learned anything about British history? And that past history isn't something radically different from current attitudes and behavior ...  aside from the fact that the Brits can no longer censor what's written about it and they no longer has any serious influence on the lives of people anywhere outside their own island.

Let's end the myths of Britain's imperial past

https://www.theguardian.com/books/2011/oct/19/end-myths-britains-imperial-past

To defend its empire, to construct its rudimentary systems of communication and transport, and to man its plantation economies, the British used forced labour on a gigantic scale. From the middle of the 18th century until 1834, the use of non-indigenous black slave labour originally shipped from Africa was the rule. Indigenous manpower in many imperial states was also subjected to slave conditions, dragooned into the imperial armies, or forcibly recruited into road gangs – building the primitive communication networks that facilitated the speedy repression of rebellion. When black slavery was abolished in the 1830s, the thirst for labour by the rapacious landowners of empire brought a new type of slavery into existence, dragging workers from India and China to be employed in distant parts of the world, a phenomenon that soon brought its own contradictions and conflicts.

As with other great imperial constructs, the British empire involved vast movements of peoples: armies were switched from one part of the world to another; settlers changed continents and hemispheres; prisoners were sent from country to country; indigenous inhabitants were corralled, driven away into oblivion, or simply rubbed out.

and much more ...

Why not go further back and blame the Romans. They originated the law system in uk.

This 2019 not 1819.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Have you never learned anything about British history? And that past history isn't something radically different from current attitudes and behavior ...  aside from the fact that the Brits can no longer censor what's written about it and they no longer has any serious influence on the lives of people anywhere outside their own island.

To defend its empire, to construct its rudimentary systems of communication and transport, and to man its plantation economies, the British used forced labour on a gigantic scale. From the middle of the 18th century until 1834, the use of non-indigenous black slave labour originally shipped from Africa was the rule. Indigenous manpower in many imperial states was also subjected to slave conditions, dragooned into the imperial armies, or forcibly recruited into road gangs – building the primitive communication networks that facilitated the speedy repression of rebellion. When black slavery was abolished in the 1830s, the thirst for labour by the rapacious landowners of empire brought a new type of slavery into existence, dragging workers from India and China to be employed in distant parts of the world, a phenomenon that soon brought its own contradictions and conflicts.

As with other great imperial constructs, the British empire involved vast movements of peoples: armies were switched from one part of the world to another; settlers changed continents and hemispheres; prisoners were sent from country to country; indigenous inhabitants were corralled, driven away into oblivion, or simply rubbed out.

and much more ...

One thing that you forget (?) to mention is that the US always have had to take the doghead, because they take them to US, as slaves, while the truth is that UK take ten times more slaves than the US, but Uk spread most of them along its colonies.

• Confused 2

19 minutes ago, Suradit69 said:

Have you never learned anything about British history? And don;t dismiss it as something from another era.  That past history isn't something radically different from current attitudes and behavior (although these days they can barely govern themselves let alone ruin the lives of others)  and they no longer have any serious influence on the lives of people anywhere outside their own island.

and much more ...

I must remember everytime I get off a plane in another country to go around saying sorry to everyone for the things my ancestors did 200/300 years ago.

Anyway to get back on topic, when the poor guy dies then too bad so sad never mind if his wife cant support herself then deport her back to Thailand.

• Like 1

Mr Leonardi was diagnosed with renal failure on Christmas Day 2003. He had a kidney transplant the following year but it stopped working several years ago and he now relies on dialysis.

He said his wife was on a tourist visa in the UK last year when he fell seriously ill after an epileptic seizure.

The story stinks. He's such a sick man she should have joined him in 2003. But no, life continued with each going backwards and forwards to visit each other and them marrying in 2015. Where was he getting renal treatment in Thailand? How was such a sick man able to fly due to his seizures? Why didn't she apply to care for him in 2003? Nah the story stinks. Why get married 12 years after he got kidney failure? Who's been looking after him for those 12 years? 

“I understand she has been caring for her gravely ill husband, and even though the Home Office agreed that she met the requirements, her application was rejected because she had not applied from her home country.

Would Thai immigration take it into consideration if it were the other way around? Simple answer 'NO'     rulez.gif

Edited by IvorBiggun2
  • Sad 2

1 hour ago, Suradit69 said:

Having to refer to a left wing newspaper, and an hysterical anti British one at that for a fair view on the empire is like quoting the Vegan association in an argument for meat eating. Any book they are going to review is going to go along with their Marxist view of the world

Edited by Orton Rd
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, MobileContent said:

Their seems to be often a difference. My stepdaughter (Singaporean) who lives for the past 5 years in London had no problems in Scotland in her stay for almost 12 years in the UK. Immigration can be complicated if she keeps following her husband back to the UK after he has a few years overseas assignment. 

Also she is a Singaporean she would love to have one day Scottish citizenship and they look forward Scotland leaves the UK one day. 90% of all regulations comes from London and not Scotland, Wales or Northern Ireland.

Interesting times ahead specially with Boris Trump and what will happen to the United Kingdom in the next 12 month 

Och aye Jimmy. Where's Mel Gibson when you need him.

Why don't we just go back to 15 or 16 wee Kingdoms in the UK then we start again all fighting each other until we end up being ruled, sort of, by a German family and one government.

Quote from the article

A Home Office spokesperson said: “All applications are considered on their individual merits, on the basis of the evidence provided and in accordance with the immigration rules.

Whilst i also sympathise with the couple there are rules in place for a reason, we are no different from Thailand or any other country

My friend married someone from the USA (she had been living here (UK) with her mother who had married an english man)

Note: 16 when arrived but 18+ when married

They were given 2 years to provide evidence of their relationship (a settlement visa /leave to remain i presume) and a list of criteria that they needed to show after this time

One week before the due date they handed over a bunch of documents that proved, beyond all doubt, their relationship was genuine. However they was told that she had to leave the country immediatley as most of the documents were not from the criteria that they had been given/required. No chance of appeal as no time left

It seems this couple, also, have ignored all the protocols and are now paying the price

1 minute ago, Almer said:

A six month visa is a 6 month visa but the world is not black and white, in the public interest what good is it deporting and breaking them up at his end of life time <deleted> 

The deleted anagram was for flip sake

No law should separate peoples of the world who wsnt to live together. Otherwise we are limited to one country, one look, one culture, one boring existence. What when you want to marry an alien from another world? Will you then be restricted to the solar system or within 500 light years? People in government are so small minded. They need to grow an awareness of the world let zlone the universe! In the near future they are in for a nasty surprise.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

Have you never learned anything about British history? And don;t dismiss it as something from another era.  That past history isn't something radically different from current attitudes and behavior (although these days they can barely govern themselves let alone ruin the lives of others)  and they no longer have any serious influence on the lives of people anywhere outside their own island.

and much more ...

??????? And What? Mr. History man?

• Like 2

Just remember most officials working the government departments in UK are staffed by immigrants who have been allowed to stay and work, so have no problem refusing other immigrants who have no right what I don't understand is why is has been locked up, when they know where she will be staying? or is it because she is not the right colour or country immigrant?

Edited by phetpeter
  • Like 1

Unlike in Thailand where relatives are expected to provide nursing care in hospital, the British NHS will provide the healthcare he needs free of charge without his wife needing to do anything.

If she has no right to stay and he wants to remain with her, he will have to return to Thailand with her. 

The only other option is some compassionate judgment by the Immigration Dept, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for that.

3 minutes ago, Classic Ray said:

Unlike in Thailand where relatives are expected to provide nursing care in hospital, the British NHS will provide the healthcare he needs free of charge without his wife needing to do anything.

If she has no right to stay and he wants to remain with her, he will have to return to Thailand with her. 

The only other option is some compassionate judgment by the Immigration Dept, but I wouldn’t hold my breath for that.

That was my meaning on my post , the world isn't black or white

Just an example of bureaucrats going for apparently easy targets (i.e. those who actually report) so they can meet their quotas, rather than dealing with the real problem (those who've gone underground). Quite ironic this one blew up in their faces, some little scribbler's gonna have to put in some extra work on this one.

9 hours ago, Mel52 said:

Does anyone know why they are being threatened with deportation? I didn’t read the whole back story on this. But the article says they’re threatening to deport his wife as well who’s a “Thailand native” according to the article so that tells me that as usual this isn’t the whole story because they can’t deport his wife as well if she’s a Thai citizen so obviously she must be a British passport holder she must have obtained her British citizenship just like most of my wife’s Thai friends back in the states. That’s if I read it right at least and if they really are threatening to deport the wife as well then I’m sure she’s no longer a Thai citizen. Doesn’t make sense so this is obviously not the whole story on yet another weird one.

I do hope everything works out for them though I really do because bad things can happen to good people sometimes unfortunately.

This is happening in the UK the wife (Thai) is being threatened with deportation back to

Thailand from Britain.

8 hours ago, drbeach said:

Although I feel for the husband if the wife was on overstay she should be removed. Same thing would happen in Thailand, why should double standards be allowed to exist? Reciprocity should be demanded. A bit off topic - but for a long time Chinese cars could enter Thailand freely, while Thais faced tremendous bureaucracy to drive their cars the other way. Then in 2016 the Thais put a stop to this practice, requiring the same of the Chinese as they ask of the Thais. After 7 years of free-riding, Chinese cars now need guides and permits to enter.

Why can't the UK do the same? It makes a mockery of the system otherwise. The only thing I think that should be considered is - the Thai wive receives a 2-3 month extension to look after her husband then gets deported later, either after he passes or his condition improves.

On the other hand, maybe I'm jumping to conclusions here and the Thai government may actually have compassion in similar circumstances as a poster before me mentioned.

It's a hell of a drive from the UK to Thailand!!

• Haha 1

Not clear on her visa status, but and of course rules need to be upheld, but gets my hackles up all the same... wife of Briton gets deported, all the while umpteen millions who have not one iota of a connection with the country or desire to integrate are allowed to linger at will for the duration. Welcome to the EU's 'Great' Britain.

Various individuals with a certain lean will be along to put me 'right' just now.  

16 hours ago, ICELANDMAN said:

Wife not have the right living with husband ? This is madness.

Crazy for sure. 

When I was sick in pattaya recently the hospital demanded that my thai partner stay with me.

I was on hourly life observation.

Three days..

Reverse situations I know. 

But, certainly humane. 

6 minutes ago, dallen52 said:

Crazy for sure. 

When I was sick in pattaya recently the hospital demanded that my thai partner stay with me.

I was on hourly life observation.

Three days..

Reverse situations I know. 

But, certainly humane. 

Yes, but your partner wasnt on overstay  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Suradit69 said:

and much more ...

Why are you comparing to a few hundred years ago?? Makes no sense whatsoever. 

Trying to compare today with history is a facile exercise

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

11 hours ago, Thingamabob said:

You are wrong on all counts. Time to grow up.

Dont you think once Great Britain  stopped ruling others countrys its gone down hill.. Now we are a group of 4 countrys who cant agree on anything one defo wants to remove itself from the union and our debts Huge. We have No Navy to speak off. Army is now a defence force as its been reduced to relying on Weekend soldiers. Whilst we think we are still one of the world rulers in actual fact thats all smoke and mirrors. UK is a laughing stock at the moment. Our currency has collapsed. Ask the guys in Thailand trying to live on their pensions.  Whilst i love my country no point trying to blow smoke up my ass.. I see whats going on. 

• Thanks 1

16 hours ago, gbswales said:

I agree with the original poster and I am living in the UK - at least this is the general direction it seems to be heading in if you look at who the clown (Johnson) has appointed to his cabinet.  I am stuck here for health reasons but if I could get out before the brexit mess concludes I would.

If you get out to Thailand you'll need alot of GBP.

Exchange rate down in the 37s yesterday. 

• Sad 1