Reasons to Stay in Thailand

geronimo

2 minutes ago, faraday said:

And as Thaiguzzi mentioned....free parking!

Don't have to fork out £2 to do 5 minutes of shopping - take a risk, & bingo a £30 fine. Smashing.

Also my wife is so easy going, forgives my glumpiness readily.

The last time I went to the UK, was in 2004 and that was a real eye opener for me! Cameras everywhere, ready to fine you for anything and everything. No wonder the locals are so miserable.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Assurancetourix said:

Is this a joke ?
Trains dating from the beginning of the last century,
Poor roads, even in Bangkok,
line and tour coaches having at least 50 years of age;
I know what I am talking about, it was my first job in Europe in the early 70s;
the coaches I drove in those years were far better than the coaches (old nozzles) that circulate in Thailand today.
In 1971 I drove Setra S130, 140 and 150 which had 220 Cv of power and I was holder of a Saviem E7 with a motor of 240 HP, box 6 speeds synchronous and retarder electromagnetique Telma.

No joke Sir! We must be driving on different roads .... and when you compare Thailand with neighbouring countries, they are streets ahead (pun intended)

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

24 minutes ago, geronimo said:

I forgot to mention the great infrastructure, the roads are top-notch and are indeed better than in some developed countries, plus there are rail and coach services that go everywhere.

25 minutes ago, geronimo said:

the roads are top-notch

Steady on, don't go overboard with blatant over-exaggeration.

Some roads.

Ok, lots of roads.

But not all roads....

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Just now, thaiguzzi said:

Steady on, don't go overboard with blatant over-exaggeration.

Some roads.

Ok, lots of roads.

But not all roads....

Yes I am generalising of course. I know a Canadian guy who has spent the past 9 years riding his 750 Honda all over the country, and he thinks the roads are fantastic when compared to his homeland! He gets through a set of tyres in 2 months!!!!! Remarkable guy!!!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, geronimo said:

Yes I am generalising of course. I know a Canadian guy who has spent the past 9 years riding his 750 Honda all over the country, and he thinks the roads are fantastic when compared to his homeland! He gets through a set of tyres in 2 months!!!!! Remarkable guy!!!

As a Canadian I confirm that Canadian road are horrendous but most drivers are not dangerous. 

Edited by Tayaout
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, geronimo said:

The last time I went to the UK, was in 2004 and that was a real eye opener for me! Cameras everywhere, ready to fine you for anything and everything. No wonder the locals are so miserable.

You are in for a culture shock going back in 2019 i can tell you!

Changed?

Just a bit!

However, i will say, once you are out in the countryside, by a river or lake or beach, or in the Dales in a country pub and the sun is shining, it is still a green & pleasant land.

• Like 2

the climate, the functional electric,

just about anything i want i can also buy, and its even competitive priced. also that i know where i can get what ever it is i want, and i dont have to walk far to get it,

but most of all i am too crippled to move to some other country

beside cambodia, and cambodia is all downside beside climate

• Like 1

Personally- a major reason - I feel totally safe- I don’t bother locking doors , don’t worry about having the cars/ motorcycle nicked. Always felt safe walking at night etc etc 

Back home in London you live in a world of burglar alarms, have had cars stolen, broken into about six times - middle of the day confronted someone in my kitchen nicking phones and a watch- scary- all my family has been burgled .

Weather - can be a bit toasty at times

Food is good - but can get monotonous.

Thailand is a very good hub for exploring the region- I have no interest in Europe any more. 

You can get involved in helping some of the poorest people here and in neighbouring countries- which is a good. 

Im not interested in the women- seems such a big deal for many.

I have no intention of leaving. 

Edited by peterb17
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, Mansinthe said:

Dunno about the rest of Thailand,  but in bkk on the bts or mrt there are less smiling people than people with no phones in their hand.

Yes, I noticed that too.

7 hours ago, geronimo said:

The unpredictability of the Thai authorities  (makes it a little more interesting)

I don't know about interesting, every new rule they bring out goes against us, there never seems to be any new rule that works in our favour.