Reasons to Stay in Thailand

geronimo

Like the warmer weather year round, people are nice in general

Live in the countryside. Safe, quiet most the time. Going into

town (small town 22. Km and big city 60ish km) a couple times a week is enjoyable. 

Yhise of you leaving just because of visa reasons think it through 

hoing to another Asian country will have its bumps in the road

and you might regret you moved.

enjoy whatever you decide....

• Like 1

13 hours ago, sidgy said:

At last, a positive thread on Thailand. I was beginning to think I was weird for being wonderfully happy and content living a happy and joyous life here. Of course it’s not perfect, but where is? Can some things be frustrating? Hell yeah! But enough to drive people to leave? No way.
I understand people’s circumstances can change, especially with exchange rates at the moment, but that doesn’t change the fact that Thailand for me is still the most pleasant country to live in. I would be gutted if my own financial circumstances forced me to leave

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect

Great to hear Sir!!

• Like 1

22 hours ago, geronimo said:

Seeing as there are so many "I'm outta here" threads, I thought I'd start one that highlights the great things about this enchanting land.

Here are a few of the reasons why Thailand is my home

• Great climate (I hate the cold)

• Fantastic food

• Wonderful people

• Inexpensive when compared to the west (yes it is getting more expensive, but so is everywhere)

• Lovely ladies (no one will disagree with that one)

All of the reasons you give (climate, food, people, cheap, girls) apply to MANY OTHER countries, located near or otherwise to Thailand. 

Would be good to hear reasons unique to Thailand only.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, whaleboneman said:

Do you live on Walking Street?

You  might not believe this, but after 12 years of being single in BKK, (I lived in Soi Cowboy) I no longer have the urge! My personality is very much excessive and I did the girly thing to the absolute limits, and I guess I just knocked the drive out of me!!!! At 63, I no longer have those urges, and if someone had told me that 10 years ago, I would have jumped off a bridge. Wife is 50 plus and is no longer into the hot and sweaty activities we used to be, and I can say in all honesty that I don't miss it.

2 hours ago, Kduffy said:

Thailand, everything the rest of the world is not, great weather, great people, great food. After 7 years I still get the holiday feeling daily. 

Fantastic wife, 3 wonderful kids, 2 wonderful adopted kids.

Born and raised in Ireland, 28 years and two wars in Africa, Afghanistan, what can i say, I have applied for Thai citizenship.

I love it , culture & people make it all worth while.

Great first post, welcome to TV!

I would like to say how refreshing it is to see so many other expats who really do love it here, and the reason I started this thread was to see if I was the only person who felt that Thailand really was my home.

Great stuff! I wonder how many of those who profess to hate it here would think differently if they had more money!

16 minutes ago, Victornoir said:

1 My wife, beautiful, young, sweet and cuddly. Other girls, her friends...
2 Thais in general, smiling and friendly.
3 The blue sky, beautiful countryside, charming roads and mountain inns.
4 Pattaya, happy and inexpensive.
5 My big house for the price of a car. My dogs.
6 The budget, incredibly low despite the recent rise of the Baht.

I never dreamed of being so happy as a retiree.

????

Welcome to paradise!!!

Although I'm moving to live in Laos in a couple of weeks, there are many things that I like about Thailand, and which I've personally experienced over the many years that I've lived here.  For sure, some things that I'm used to in Thailand will be worse in Laos:

- Beautiful, empty, golden beaches - I used to live near Phuket Airport and Mai Khao beach, where I'd walk and jog in the afternoon.  I have photos shot down the long, long beach with not a single person to be seen.  No beaches in Laos, (except the sand banks on the Mekong!).

- Clean air - In Phuket and south Thailand in general, the air quality is great, with only occasional smoke coming over from Indonesia during their burning season.  I know that the air quality in north Laos will be much worse than Phuket during the burning season.

- Huge choice of tasty food to suit all palates and budgets.  Laos also offers great food, so I'll be OK.

- Choice of consumer products to suit all budgets. - You can buy cheap, Chinese junk that will break within a week.  Or you can pay more for a quality, imported product.  In Laos, I'll be mostly limited to cheap Chinese junk!

- Good banking services, (once you've managed to open an account!).  Online banking and cheap international fund transfers, link your bank account to Paypal etc.  The Laos banking system is less developed, international transfers need to use intermediate banks (extra cost), and you cannot link Paypal to a local bank account.  One possible plus point (for me since I'm paid in USD) is that while the USD/THB exchange rate is on a downward slope, the USD/Lao Kip rate is going in the other direction.

- Good hospital services. - I've rarely had to use Thai hospitals, but have been very happy with the quality of the service.  The nearest half-decent hospital to my new location in Laos will be .. er ... back in Thailand.  Hope I don't get ill....

- Availability of female company - I'm not a sex-monger and I'm not looking for a new wife/GF.  But sex-without-strings is clearly available.  Much more risky in Laos where sexual relationships between foreigners and locals is illegal outside a legal marriage.  (Actually, this is a plus point for me - keeps any money-hungry women at bay).

All in all, I don't have any major complaints at all about Thailand. But given my own visa circumstances, my move to Laos is a natural step for me and I'm happy to move on and to experience a different country.  (I lived in Laos before, so it won't be a culture shock).

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Although I'm moving to live in Laos in a couple of weeks, there are many things that I like about Thailand, and which I've personally experienced over the many years that I've lived here.  For sure, some things that I'm used to in Thailand will be worse in Laos:

- Beautiful, empty, golden beaches - I used to live near Phuket Airport and Mai Khao beach, where I'd walk and jog in the afternoon.  I have photos shot down the long, long beach with not a single person to be seen.  No beaches in Laos, (except the sand banks on the Mekong!).

- Clean air - In Phuket and south Thailand in general, the air quality is great, with only occasional smoke coming over from Indonesia during their burning season.  I know that the air quality in north Laos will be much worse than Phuket during the burning season.

- Huge choice of tasty food to suit all palates and budgets.  Laos also offers great food, so I'll be OK.

- Choice of consumer products to suit all budgets. - You can buy cheap, Chinese junk that will break within a week.  Or you can pay more for a quality, imported product.  In Laos, I'll be mostly limited to cheap Chinese junk!

- Good banking services, (once you've managed to open an account!).  Online banking and cheap international fund transfers, link your bank account to Paypal etc.  The Laos banking system is less developed, international transfers need to use intermediate banks (extra cost), and you cannot link Paypal to a local bank account.  One possible plus point (for me since I'm paid in USD) is that while the USD/THB exchange rate is on a downward slope, the USD/Lao Kip rate is going in the other direction.

- Good hospital services. - I've rarely had to use Thai hospitals, but have been very happy with the quality of the service.  The nearest half-decent hospital to my new location in Laos will be .. er ... back in Thailand.  Hope I don't get ill....

- Availability of female company - I'm not a sex-monger and I'm not looking for a new wife/GF.  But sex-without-strings is clearly available.  Much more risky in Laos where sexual relationships between foreigners and locals is illegal outside a legal marriage.  (Actually, this is a plus point for me - keeps any money-hungry women at bay).

All in all, I don't have any major complaints at all about Thailand. But given my own visa circumstances, my move to Laos is a natural step for me and I'm happy to move on and to experience a different country.  (I lived in Laos before, so it won't be a culture shock).

You can always visit when you want! Good luck in Laos, I went there not long ago and found the people to be nice.

Just now, kenk24 said:

and is the alternative seeing horror and misery everywhere through dark angry glasses.

Yes, and the choice is totally yours! There will always be those who look for issues, and it is a mindset. White, to some, will always be black. Let them wallow in their misery!!

10 hours ago, Parsve said:

Yes, I am very sure, he lived in Pattaya and it was not him that not had filled in the TM 30, it was his landlord, also a farrang. He, my friend, reported his new address between two 90-days report, and the IO said it was wrong because according to their documents he was living on another spot, His old address. 

And he got deported?  From Pattaya with no news about it.  Sure he did.  

Just now, mngmn said:

It seems that many Brits choose to live in Thailand, not because it is so wonderful but because the UK is so terrible.

I came to the same conclusion 35 years ago when I emigrated to Australia.

I'm in total agreement with you on that one. I left the UK in 1977 at the age of 21, vowing never to live there again!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, mngmn said:

It seems that many Brits choose to live in Thailand, not because it is so wonderful but because the UK is so terrible.

I came to the same conclusion 35 years ago when I emigrated to Australia.

I heard that the UK and the US are in a race to see who can xxxx up the best. The US has a trump card ????????????????

Edited by geronimo

Just now, brewsterbudgen said:

Are foreigners who are resident in Laos only allowed to make 2 land border crossings into Thailand per year?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

no idea what their policies are regarding foreign residents, but it surely can't be as restrictive as it is here!!!! I wonder if you can buy land, start a business etc. Perhaps someone can put us straight on these points.

7 minutes ago, geronimo said:

no idea what their policies are regarding foreign residents, but it surely can't be as restrictive as it is here!!!! I wonder if you can buy land, start a business etc. Perhaps someone can put us straight on these points.

Yes, only 2 land crossings per year. Since I'll be living in north Laos, I don't intend to make land crossings to Nong Khai - I'll fly into BKK for eg annual health check, shopping etc.  There's no limit on how many air crossings are made, although with VoAs, it's up to the IO if they allow entry.

No purchase of land in Laos allowed for foreigners, need to set up a company if one plans to operate a B&M business.

My activities will include online teaching and local volunteer work, as well as assisting their fledgling (nay.. non-existent) space/satellite sector.  There's going to be a lot of antennas and techie gear appearing at my house ????

• Like 1

16 hours ago, marcusarelus said:

How true more than how cute.  Only the blokes that don't have the cash are posting on TV about leaving. 

Those I know that have gone home have cash. I am a long way from broke. Being able to afford a half million dollar property in a first world country in most cases does not sound broke to me. 

I have nothing against the happiness bridgage as I am happy here as well but it certainly is not all puppy dogs and unicorns. Something called life gets in the way and keeping everything real, keeps you happier I personally feel as at any stage you can make a decision based on how things are. I had one of my friends wife die and it was never the same for him. Things do change and you can never be certain of the outcome.

Happiness is based on a continuum of how you are feeling now, not of the unknown future so things may change.

• Like 1

Just now, totally thaied up said:

Those I know that have gone home have cash. I am a long way from broke. Being able to afford a half million dollar property in a first world country in most cases does not sound broke to me. 

I have nothing against the happiness bridgage as I am happy here as well but it certainly is not all puppy dogs and unicorns. Something called life gets in the way and keeping everything real, keeps you happier I personally feel as at any stage you can make a decision based on how things are. I had one of my friends wife die and it was never the same for him. Things do change and you can never be certain of the outcome.

Happiness is based on a continuum of how you are feeling now, not of the unknown future so things may change.

Very true. The entire universe is in a constant state of change.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, geronimo said:

Very true. The entire universe is in a constant state of change.

Your thread has been good for me.  I believe in keeping it real and if most the expat population can do that,  life here is better. If you are happy, in most cases it is a learned response, so you just keep doing what you're doing and keep it real. That's what I do and in general, my life here in Thailand has been trouble free. Keeping around positive people and family keeps you grounded; the rest is just scattered noise and that doesn't matter. 

• Like 2

Yes, only 2 land crossings per year. Since I'll be living in north Laos, I don't intend to make land crossings to Nong Khai - I'll fly into BKK for eg annual health check, shopping etc.  There's no limit on how many air crossings are made, although with VoAs, it's up to the IO if they allow entry.

No purchase of land in Laos allowed for foreigners, need to set up a company if one plans to operate a B&M business.

My activities will include online teaching and local volunteer work, as well as assisting their fledgling (nay.. non-existent) space/satellite sector.  There's going to be a lot of antennas and techie gear appearing at my house [emoji846]
Our house is near Pakse in Southern Laos, so we would need to make regular trips over the Chong Mek border for shopping and in emergencies. Makes me wonder what they would do if we needed to cross for a medical emergency, but had used up our 2 land border crossings.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Sorry but very few reasons to stay full time any more.

Positives, 24 hr. convenience, stores open round the clock, ATMs on every corner almost.

Bahtbus is cheap ( naklua/pattaya based )

Climate good for 6 to 8 months of the year.

The list of negatives which I shall not post as it would not be welcome outweigh the positives for me personally.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, totally thaied up said:

All of the ones who have gone home that I know it has been Immigration, health or women problems.  Please feel free post one that is for some other reason.