Video: American tourist in custody for criminal damage to cars in Chiang Mai

webfact

Video: American tourist in custody for criminal damage to cars in Chiang Mai

3pm.jpg

Thai caption: Instant arrest: American man damaging cars in Tha Phae area

Police in Chiang Mai have made a quick arrest after a woman went on Facebook on Tuesday to complain that 3 cars had their windscreens smashed in the Tha Phae area. 

CCTV showed a man dressed in white with a cap in the area of Soi 3 behind Wat Loy Khroh. "Darakon Kongkaew" appealed to the authorities to act. 

Muang Chiang Mai police investigated and soon arrested 34 year old Jesse Edward Lee an American tourist and took him in for questioning. 

He was question in the "Blackhawk Detective Unit" with tourist police present to explain matters in English.

S__14721066-696x522.jpg

Picture: Chiang Mai News

He admitted what he had done. He said that he had been drinking and only had a hazy recollection of events. He said he had picked up rocks and thrown them at the cars. 

The next thing he knew the police were at his hotel arresting him next day. 

The victims in the case asked for total compensation of 50,000 baht. The tourist did not have the money. 

He is now in custody as negotiations continue. 

Source: Chiang Mai News

thai+visa_news.jpg

-- © Copyright Thai Visa News 2019-08-01

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Oliver Holzerfilled said:

How intimidating to be interrogated by a cop drinking a frappuccino ????

You might be surprised to learn that outside of the movies you watch, "interrogations" (read: Police interviews) aren't intended to be intimidating. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

53 minutes ago, canopus1969 said:

He was question in the "Blackhawk Detective Unit"

So do Blacks get their own Detectives ????

39 minutes ago, Denim said:

Around the corner there is the White Eagle unit for caucasians.

Then what about the 'in-betweens'?

Which unit would they be take to?

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, donnacha said:

Many criticized the formation of a special unit dedicated to dealing with crime by African Americans in Chiang Mai, it seemed far too narrow a niche, but, to be fair, the Black Hawk Detective Unit does appear to be justifying it's existence. This is now the tenth offender in just one month who has caused damage but does not have the 50K necessary to buy their way out of incarceration.

I am not American, is $1,600 genuinely too much money for US citizens to assemble? Can other US friends not lend them the money?

I am probably naive, but I assumed that everyone had at least some emergency money in reserve, particularly if they are in the habit of getting drunk and smashing up cars while visiting other countries.

I do not feel any primal need to inflict harm on other people while I am drunk, but even I have some money in reserve for emergencies. Surely everyone does this, regardless of color?

Just to be clear, I respect that black culture is different, I understand that the perpetrator is not responsible for what he has done and that this is squarely the fault of white privilege.

Is there a suggestion that America's social problem with African-Americans is being exported?

• Sad 2

18 minutes ago, glennb6 said:

how does one travel halfway around the world to tland and not have access to $1500us is incredulous. No money eh bro?  OK, we've got a few months of work for you to do now.... care to think about your funds again?

I think most tourists from the USA would have access to 50K usually on a U.S. bank based ATM card. Maybe he's an exception. Maybe he didn't budget well enough for his trip. Maybe he was misinformed about how "cheap" it is to travel in Thailand. In any case, if it's mostly a matter of coming up with that sum or another negotiated sum, maybe the U.S. consulate can help him contact people back in the U.S. that might wire the money.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, sanemax said:

He may well have been drugged , he was in the bar area and its not uncommon for someone to slip something in your drink in that area

No.

It's not that.

Clearly he was abducted by aliens that made him do it.

Look, he didn't claim that he wasn't drugged and even if he was I've never heard of a crime drug that makes people want to vandalize random cars.

Anyway, given his situation, that he admitted to the crimes is the one thing in his favor. 

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1