Need advice regarding buying car in Thailand

arfandy

Greetings,

Here's my situation

Soon-to-be expat in Thailand. Fixed monthly salary is THB 35k, excluding bonus, etc.

2 kids, both kindergarten and will apply at English program which cost ~THB 11k per semester/kid. 

Housing is provided by company free. I just need to pay for electric and water bill. And foods & other daily necessities too.

Moving to Thailand with THB 400.000 (depending the required amount of saving to receive marriage visa)

Location of work is Northern of Thailand, about 895km from Bangkok.

Very likely we will use the car to travel hundred to thousand km every week, at least thrice a month (+2000km/month added to the meter)

Looking for 7-seater car due to the number of passengers and our luggages. (Avansa, APV, Innova, Mitsibishi Expander, etc)

Anything within 1.2 - 2.0cc engine to help us save gasoline. I've tried Pajero 2.5 and Fortuner 3.0 and both were gasoline-sinking.

I have checked one2car.com for all potential second-hand cars but i also have serious doubt how long will these cars last before breaking down in the middle of nowhere. Most of them are metered from 70-200.000km, and i know some dealers like to tinker the odometer for higher value.

For new cars, Avansa and/or Mitsubishi Expander will cost somewhere THB 750k with the lowest model.

Questions:

Given my situation, if you were me would you opt for second hand car or brand new car?

For second hand car, how long will it take for dealer to rename the car's book into my name (or at least my Thai wife name). 

For brand new car, how long will it take for seller to issue the number plate and all purchased documents? Are there any documents needed? Which installment would you recommend me, based on my given situation.

Has Suzuki APV discontinued in Thailand? I am particularly fond of this model (mini-van but still save gasoline due to 1.5cc engine and affordable). Do you have any similar recommendation? I see plenty of second hand APV at one2car, do you think it is wise to buy them or absolutely avoid them due to limited spareparts?

Other than one2car.com, is there any other online second hand car websites?

Ps. I can deposit Down Payment THB 300.000 while the remaining is put on credit.

Thank you

Can't answer all of your questions but it doesn't take too long to get paper work done and or get a permanent license plate, usually about a month and done by the dealer. If you get from a private party than you will need to go to the Transportation office and do the paperwork yourself.

35k baht is not much money to live on with a wife and 2 kids................good luck.

If you finance a car you will usually need to put down 50% as a foreigner from my experience (I have lived here permanently for 14 years) or less if you put it your wife's name and she has a good credit record.

Buying a used car is a hit and miss purchase. Many Thais do not have enough money to do regular service maintenance so their cars suffer. If buying a used car make sure it comes with a service records or you buy from a dealer like Toyota who sells certified used cars.

Again good luck.

P.S. Pajero and Fotuners are only sold with diesel engines. 

• Like 1

In your situation,  I would not attempt to come here to live.  I'm not sure what your employment will be here (teaching?) but it's always best to plan on it disappearing in short order, rules to change at the drop of a hat and being dismissed for no particular reason is not unknown, especially for a foreigner.  There are no protecting labour laws in Thailand.  Far too risky I would say and a car, new or second hand, will be the least of your problems.  

• Like 2

You wouldn't need to support marriage visa extensions if if you have a legitimate job.

As a family of four you would struggle to just survive on your base salary. You wouldn't be able to afford the fuel for your excursions. Let alone purchase a vehicle.

Don't do it. You'll just add to your woes. There's no welfare programs to help you here.

Realistically you need to triple your salary at this point and also consider how you'll pay for your kids future education.

I'd seriously be reevaluating my proposed situation. Family of 4 on 35,000 don't compute. Depending on where you are going to live will have some bearing. Village or town. Have you really done any research on your upcoming "adventure" ?

I wonder if the OP has incorrectly wrote some numbers. Does your wife have an income too?

In terms of a new car on finance. Me and my wife (Thai) have one and have just applied for another. 

Without a big down payment you won't get it on finance. Even with our combined salary of around 170k / month we still had to pay 25% up front for Mazda to accept a finance option (around 190k).

I reckon on your salary they will be wanting 50% minimum and even then I think they would say no. 

Edited by BobbyL

On 8/3/2019 at 9:41 AM, arfandy said:

For new cars, Avansa and/or Mitsubishi Expander will cost somewhere THB 750k with the lowest model.

I have not checked the latest prices but our Avanza was 580,000 baht new, and has been a good car for transporting the extended family. Some of the running costs (and living expenses) quoted above are a bit over the top so do your own calculations on the cost of fuel. Service charges are not too bad with Toyota and our maintenance costs have been minimal.

But it will still be a struggle on 35K per month.

On 8/3/2019 at 4:41 AM, arfandy said:

Given my situation, if you were me would you opt for second hand car or brand new car?

I wouldn't opt for second hand, but buy new, second hand cars are fairly high priced in Thailand.

I bought a new Avanza nearly 6 years ago now; price just over 700k baht including 1st year's insurance. Price depend of model and equipment, there is a little more expensive "sport"-kind of version than I bought. Fine car, and reasonable fuel economy – for me very good, coming from a 4.0l engine – mainly using E20 fuel. Average kilometers per liter, or liters pr. 100 km, depend on town use, or country side, and conditions of road, and load, but more than 10km/l according to the instrument panel, typically for me around 12-14km/l on E20 (I live on small island, so mainly compared to driving in a city, or on bad roads with limited speed capability; the island has both limits).

I've been very happy with my Avanza, but using full seat-capacity (driver + 7) the luggage space at rear is limited, whilst driver + 3-4 pax, i.e. front seats + one row at back, allows reasonable luggage space in the back.

Yearly first class insurance for an Avanza is around 15k baht, and (road) tax about 1,500 baht.

I have no knowledge about credit options with 300k baht down payment, I would presume it should be a Thai name, but it might work for a foreigner also.

????

• Thanks 1

On 8/3/2019 at 11:33 AM, Rdrokit said:

Can't answer all of your questions but it doesn't take too long to get paper work done and or get a permanent license plate, usually about a month and done by the dealer. If you get from a private party than you will need to go to the Transportation office and do the paperwork yourself.

35k baht is not much money to live on with a wife and 2 kids................good luck.

If you finance a car you will usually need to put down 50% as a foreigner from my experience (I have lived here permanently for 14 years) or less if you put it your wife's name and she has a good credit record.

Buying a used car is a hit and miss purchase. Many Thais do not have enough money to do regular service maintenance so their cars suffer. If buying a used car make sure it comes with a service records or you buy from a dealer like Toyota who sells certified used cars.

Again good luck.

P.S. Pajero and Fotuners are only sold with diesel engines. 

No they are not.

Repayments on a new car and mileage could take close to half of the OP's income. Then bank on at least 15-20K just on food alone a month. 35K isn't a high salary, even by Northern Thailand standarfs, these days. 

A second had diesel fortuner / pakero sport would be a better car and deal with longer distances on bad roads. I wouldn't buy an advanza if Iw as driving 2000 km a month up north. 

13 hours ago, khunPer said:

I wouldn't opt for second hand, but buy new, second hand cars are fairly high priced in Thailand.

I bought a new Avanza nearly 6 years ago now; price just over 700k baht including 1st year's insurance. Price depend of model and equipment, there is a little more expensive "sport"-kind of version than I bought. Fine car, and reasonable fuel economy – for me very good, coming from a 4.0l engine – mainly using E20 fuel. Average kilometers per liter, or liters pr. 100 km, depend on town use, or country side, and conditions of road, and load, but more than 10km/l according to the instrument panel, typically for me around 12-14km/l on E20 (I live on small island, so mainly compared to driving in a city, or on bad roads with limited speed capability; the island has both limits).

I've been very happy with my Avanza, but using full seat-capacity (driver + 7) the luggage space at rear is limited, whilst driver + 3-4 pax, i.e. front seats + one row at back, allows reasonable luggage space in the back.

Yearly first class insurance for an Avanza is around 15k baht, and (road) tax about 1,500 baht.

I have no knowledge about credit options with 300k baht down payment, I would presume it should be a Thai name, but it might work for a foreigner also.

????

Thank you for your insight and everyone else. For the record, 35k is based salary and will be increased 15% on the second year.

The company is located in rural area, about 85km from Nan city. Living expense is nowhere as in Bangkok. We've lived there since mid of May to June 30, 2019, saw things and observed few "International" local kindergarten that teach kids on English program. 

Yes, excluding electricity and water bill during the time we stayed, we spent about 9.800 baht on foods. Most of foodies came free from live-in coworkers and neighboors. We did not own car, thus no gas expense. Kids did not go to school yet, so no tuition expense. 

For starter, we'll come with 400k THB. I figure this amount is the least to apply Non-Imm Type 0 visa with 1 year validity, then hopefully we can put down payment on second hand 7-seater car. I know this amount wouldnt suffice for brand new 7-seater and would gladly settle for 2nd hand car. I hope anyone here can recommend online 2nd hand car dealer with trusted reputation. I've only known one2car.com.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, arfandy said:

For the record, 35k is based salary and will be increased 15% on the second year.

The monthly budget seem to be major thoughts, so please let me comment, based on my experience from living here for some 15 years.

With a free home, apart from usage of electricity and water, the 35k baht for a family of four is possible, but not a life in spending.

Count of some level of health insurance for the family, and for yourself make sure that you get covered by Thai "social security", which gives you free access to a government hospital; you can even continue SS later as kind of health insurance. SS will cost you 5% of the salary, maximum 7 baht a month; the employer also pays similar amount.

You mention English Program kindergarten and 11k baht fee, I presume that is per term per child, so rather 44k baht a year + some extra, so you should probably count in average 5k baht a month in your budget. The price sound very affordable compared to what some pay at other places for EP (I have a child here that had been to EP kindergarten, and continued i bilingual school).

10k baht a month are easily spend on health insurances and school.

I would, based on experience, budget with 15k baht a month for daily livings expenses like food etc. for a family of four – i.e. 500 baht a day – living a normal life, and mainly eating at home.

You easily spend another 5k baht in long-term average a month on other expenses, including electricity, and buying some clothes, and bits of pieces of this-and-that.

So 30k baht a month are easily gone before even considering transportation, i.e. a car and expenses for driving in it.

An advice by my experience: Make sure you always have easy access to a reasonable lump sum of cash when living in Thailand, in case something unforeseen happens. Some call it a "rainy day account". What is "reasonable" is relative to what one can afford, but try to think of some situations that could occur, and act thereafter – don't base a life in Thailand on "go fund me".

I wish you good luck...????

15 minutes ago, khunPer said:

The monthly budget seem to be major thoughts, so please let me comment, based on my experience from living here for some 15 years.

With a free home, apart from usage of electricity and water, the 35k baht for a family of four is possible, but not a life in spending.

Count of some level of health insurance for the family, and for yourself make sure that you get covered by Thai "social security", which gives you free access to a government hospital; you can even continue SS later as kind of health insurance. SS will cost you 5% of the salary, maximum 7 baht a month; the employer also pays similar amount.

You mention English Program kindergarten and 11k baht fee, I presume that is per term per child, so rather 44k baht a year + some extra, so you should probably count in average 5k baht a month in your budget. The price sound very affordable compared to what some pay at other places for EP (I have a child here that had been to EP kindergarten, and continued i bilingual school).

10k baht a month are easily spend on health insurances and school.

I would, based on experience, budget with 15k baht a month for daily livings expenses like food etc. for a family of four – i.e. 500 baht a day – living a normal life, and mainly eating at home.

You easily spend another 5k baht in long-term average a month on other expenses, including electricity, and buying some clothes, and bits of pieces of this-and-that.

So 30k baht a month are easily gone before even considering transportation, i.e. a car and expenses for driving in it.

An advice by my experience: Make sure you always have easy access to a reasonable lump sum of cash when living in Thailand, in case something unforeseen happens. Some call it a "rainy day account". What is "reasonable" is relative to what one can afford, but try to think of some situations that could occur, and act thereafter – don't base a life in Thailand on "go fund me".

I wish you good luck...????

Thank you for your shared experience. I really appeciate your time in writing it.

It is just as you say, 35k is not exactly a lump of money. We'll be fine with such amount but expect no luxury dinning and such. There are few personal reasons why i & wife have to make this work. One is mainly because the CEO of this company is my aunt in law and she is in desperate need for foreign white-collar to take care her import/export but she cant issue work permit due to bureacracy, complexity, and time consuming. Hence, she asked for me to come, live, and work for her under marriage visa.

Our kids tuition fee might be covered by her but we dont expect such gracious offer neither.

Would you mind to explain what is this "Thai Social Security"? 5% max salary, max 7 baht a month? I'm lost here.

Thank you

I think you should buy a car within your budget, in your case 300k. Try to search for year 2017-2018 onward, so it is unlikely to get any engine problem. Don't buy installment: No point losing money on interest, and highly un-lightly when it time for you to sell and upgrade, you will lost less then 50-100k. If you were to buy a car with installment plan, probably you will loss at least 100-200k. But to be honest, i can't imagine living in Thailand with 2 kids and earning 35k per month. I think you should go back to your country and get better wages.                                             11.thumb.PNG.253dbb64d0495b5fb28bfb2bfee8fa08.PNG

1 hour ago, arfandy said:

Thank you for your shared experience. I really appeciate your time in writing it.

It is just as you say, 35k is not exactly a lump of money. We'll be fine with such amount but expect no luxury dinning and such. There are few personal reasons why i & wife have to make this work. One is mainly because the CEO of this company is my aunt in law and she is in desperate need for foreign white-collar to take care her import/export but she cant issue work permit due to bureacracy, complexity, and time consuming. Hence, she asked for me to come, live, and work for her under marriage visa.

Our kids tuition fee might be covered by her but we dont expect such gracious offer neither.

Would you mind to explain what is this "Thai Social Security"? 5% max salary, max 7 baht a month? I'm lost here.

Thank you

My advise to you, do not work without work permit. You will land in a very sorry state if someone of your ''Friends, Neighbor or Wife Relative'' reports you to immigration. If you think that it won't happen on you, well to be honest it happen every single day with special hotline to report such case like this. I heard a few of my police volunteer friends said that those Thai who call and report, may get some commission. 

BTW cant issue work permit due to bureaucracy, complexity, and time consuming: More likely she doesn't want to pay taxes. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, damen said:

My advise to you, do not work without work permit. You will land in a very sorry state if someone of your ''Friends, Neighbor or Wife Relative'' reports you to immigration. If you think that it won't happen on you, well to be honest it happen every single day with special hotline to report such case like this. I heard a few of my police volunteer friends said that those Thai who call and report, may get some commission. 

BTW cant issue work permit due to bureaucracy, complexity, and time consuming: More likely she doesn't want to pay taxes. 

Did they get commission for reporting foreigners?

Evdn with a marriage visa you still need a WP to work legally here.  I would feel like I'm waiting for the day for the immigration police to arrive at my doorstep. Tell the aunt-in-law that you need a WP to work in Thailand. If not, you can't do it. 

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, arfandy said:

Did they get commission for reporting foreigners?

That the discretion between reporter & police. But i do know for a fact, police issuing tickets and above their quota do get commission officially. As a fellow Asean Members, try to live here legally. Tons of Asean people get deported daily. 

Even thou we looks like Thai, but we are not Thais. Once we speak to Thais, they will know we are not Thais. Even thou, i learn to speak Thai within my first year of living here. I still got my own country slang. Been living here on and off for 10 years. 

On 8/5/2019 at 5:07 PM, khunPer said:

. Fine car, and reasonable fuel economy – for me very good, coming from a 4.0l engine – mainly using E20 fuel.

????

Avanza has a 4.0 litre engine?

1 hour ago, giddyup said:
On 8/5/2019 at 12:07 PM, khunPer said:

. Fine car, and reasonable fuel economy – for me very good, coming from a 4.0l engine – mainly using E20 fuel.

????

Avanza has a 4.0 litre engine?

Read again please: "coming from..." to an Avanza...????

5 hours ago, arfandy said:

Thank you

I did place a link in

5 hours ago, arfandy said:

...covered by Thai "social security"...

–more details in English are available here at US' SS website "Social Security Programs Throughout the World: Asia and the Pacific", link here.

Concerning work permit, I believe that it's always needed, and should be fairly easy to get under a "marriage via", i.e. non-immigrant "O" with extension of stay based on marriage. I believe there need to be in total two Thai employees for one foreign work permit, but I don't have any experience.

There might be several threads in the Thaivisa forum about it, one recently is this one (moderator Ubonjoe is the visa-expert)...

Working without work permit might be very risky, in worst case scenario deportation, and fine to the company.

Normally the company's external accountant/auditor can arrange for a foreigner's work permit, otherwise a law firm should be able to do it.

????

Edited by khunPer