Pilots arrested at Glasgow Airport before boarding US flight

rooster59

2 hours ago, elcaro said:

That will be the computer systems.

Correct. The Flight Management System...or FMS does it all from just after takeoff to just before landing...although fully automated landings...hands off...are available on many new generation aircraft.

As the joke goes..

There are 2 pilots and a dog in the cockpit.. The dog ? His job is to bite the hand of either pilot if he tries to touch anything.

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, Catoni said:

I’ve ALWAYS wondered (for a minute or two) who is piloting the plane when I fly.  

At least on ultra-long haul flights (over 12 hours long) the plane has I think at least three pilots, and often four pilots. 

It all depends on the airline. For many, there is a Captain, First Officer and one or two Third Officers.  On some routes, two full crews, so 2 Captains and 2 First Officers.  The Third Officers are under training and not qualified to control the aircraft below 10,000 feet, sometimes they are not even formally rated on the aircraft. Together with a First Officer, they help to monitor the systems while the prime crew rest. 

9 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Correct. The Flight Management System...or FMS does it all from just after takeoff to just before landing...although fully automated landings...hands off...are available on many new generation aircraft.

As the joke goes..

There are 2 pilots and a dog in the cockpit.. The dog ? His job is to bite the hand of either pilot if he tries to touch anything.

a wise Captain always  carries a hammer, to hit the dog if it doesn't wake up the First Officer when he falls asleep. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, trainman34014 said:

Happens every day. I used to live in a Village not all that far from Gatwick where all the Aircrews would come to drink before flights because it was out of the way and they would not be seen in my local Pub away from the general public gaze.   Several Aircraft Engineers lived in the Village too but would never fly as they would say 'if you knew what we knew you would never fly either, especially on Boeing products ' !

I find this hard to believe. In uniform? Just pulling your leg? Some of the displays of gullibility from passengers over what a pilot tells them beggars belief.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ezzra said:

How much of a irresponsible <deleted> one has to be not to know that if you're about to pilot a plane loaded with hundreds of passengers who had put their lives in your hands, you don't drink, not even a drop, period!...

They might be way more dangerous without alcohol. 

2 minutes ago, Isaanbiker said:

They might be way more dangerous without alcohol. 

True! if they have been flying drunk for years they may well be more of a danger when they are sober! :shock1:

52 minutes ago, geoffbezoz said:

This link is accurate. There will be more testing in the future. At Cathay it is random 5% of all flights (not pilots - so the one pilot could get tested more than once). It is apparently increasing to 10% of all flights. 

28 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

As the joke goes..

“Does it all”. Really. Probably best not to comment on things you know nothing about. 

47 minutes ago, Krataiboy said:

I'm surprised anybody's surprised. Be thankful that in most modern aircraft computers are in control.

Until the computers <deleted> up, then you need someone who knows what they're doing.

Even Air France, on its flagship A330 flight Rio de Janeiro-Paris, couldn't find one of those on board. Much less Lion Air, or Ethiopian Airlines.

The more that pilots are trained to rely on computers, the less capable they become at dealing with anomalies and breakdowns.

1 hour ago, kotsak said:

Imagine seeing this ????

image.png.bd2b02ecde5e3ad9edca6fa5ce21ec8e.png

I had a friend, many years ago, who was a train driver on the South Western Division of The Southern Division of British Railways.

At one station, I cant remember where, it may have been Ascot, there was a procedure where a 4 coach Electric Multiple Unit would pull into the platform, A second EMU would be called into the platform behind it, and buffer up to the first unit. A shunter would couple up the two sets. The driver of the rear unit would walk along the platform to the front cab, and insert his control key and blow up a brake.. The guard would carry out a brake test from the rear cab, then "ding ding" and the combined train was off to Waterloo.

One day my friend left the cab of the rear unit, wearing dark glasses and carrying a white cane. He felt his way up to the front cab, climbed in, and "ding ding", off to Waterloo. 

A few days later he was called in to explain - it was in the days before mobile phones. A very dim view was taken, and he spent the next 3 months on nights moving empty trains into and out of Reading South yard!

Edited by JAG
  • Haha 2

8 hours ago, soalbundy said:

You are only regarded as drunk in Glasgow if you start throwing up carrots that you've never eaten.

Well I certainly qualify as having been drunk in Glasgow many a time.... funnily enough, I’ve never been to Scotland. ????

It all depends on the airline. For many, there is a Captain, First Officer and one or two Third Officers.  On some routes, two full crews, so 2 Captains and 2 First Officers.  The Third Officers are under training and not qualified to control the aircraft below 10,000 feet, sometimes they are not even formally rated on the aircraft. Together with a First Officer, they help to monitor the systems while the prime crew rest. 

When I flew on the flight deck with Qantas from Heathrow to Bangkok en route to taking up commercial flight training along side Qantas cadets and others in Adelaide, there was the Captain, First Officer and Second Officer rotating positions whilst one rested. Haven’t heard of Third officers but not questioning you as I believe you used to be an airline pilot.

7 minutes ago, guru said:

When I flew on the flight deck with Qantas from Heathrow to Bangkok en route to taking up commercial flight training along side Qantas cadets and others in Adelaide, there was the Captain, First Officer and Second Officer rotating positions whilst one rested. Haven’t heard of Third officers but not questioning you as I believe you used to be an airline pilot.

It very much depends on the airline. What you quote was the crewing at Cathay, but not on Eva, where we had third officers under training, Junior First Officers and very few second officers. I suspect that it was cost control, but that would be a guess. Of course I'm talking of a few years ago now and things may well have changed with the move away from the B747s. 

• Like 1

cut them some slack,its a dangerous job flying a plane,can you blame them for having a few to stop their hands shaking,anyway once the plane takes off they can put it on automatic pilot and get their heads down till its time to land.

cut them some slack,its a dangerous job flying a plane,can you blame them for having a few to stop their hands shaking,anyway once the plane takes off they can put it on automatic pilot and get their heads down till its time to land.

It very much depends on the airline. What you quote was the crewing at Cathay, but not on Eva, where we had third officers under training, Junior First Officers and very few second officers. I suspect that it was cost control, but that would be a guess. Of course I'm talking of a few years ago now and things may well have changed with the move away from the B747s. 

Ok understood. Just out of curiosity did the Third Officers at EVA have two stripes like Second Officers? I had one stripe at the time and I was simply a cadet doing the CPL practical course and ATPL theory exams.

Didn’t have any Eva cadets when I was in Adelaide but we did have Cathay, Royal Brunei, SAA, Qantas and private cadets. All of them were good folk and some good memories.

4 hours ago, jesimps said:

I thought they were all 40% proof, or have I missed a subtle joke in your post?

Dunno, i hate all whisky.

I can't even smell a Blended Scotch.

But i know the Single Malts are more expensive, sought after, and meant to taste nicer.

And come to think of it, some of the exotica is indeed more than 40%.

My Dad loves the stuff, hence i have a vague recollection....

Just returned to Canada with AC, and the hkg to yvr leg had 4 flight officers.

Secondly the last leg yvr to yeg started off fine...until the severe thunderstorm over yeg.

I fly a lot and this was one of the only times i have commented to the flight crew upon leaving a genuine thank you. 

Both pilots gave a smile and a thumbs up to me and my 6 year old as we left.

Perhaps we have come to think of air travel as being "routine" it was times like this that i am thankful for the skills, training, and commitment most pilots have.

Wether or not a pilot under the influence could have performed as well, i'll hopefully never have to find out.