Install my own web server, advices.

Confuscious

I want to create a site in which a lot of images would be stored.
Something similar to Line, Facebook, a.o.

But most hosting companies are publishing astronomical prices for such an application.
Therefore, I was thinking of creating my own hosting computer and load my application on it.
Can this be done without the need of a hosting provider?
What would be the bare minimum to start such a setup?
TIA

But most hosting companies are publishing astronomical prices for such an application.
Therefore, I was thinking of creating my own hosting computer and load my application on it.
Can this be done without the need of a hosting provider?
What would be the bare minimum to start such a setup?
TIA
Easiest. Get a. NAS. If the pictures are just for you put them on that. If you Realy want a webserver.. You also can install that on a NAS (qnap, Synology . Etc)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn MI 9 met Tapatalk

2 hours ago, Confuscious said:

How much is "a lot"? Exactly how many images of what size do you need to store? How often will they be accessed, and by how many users?

If you put it on your own computer or a NAS it wont be able to handle many simultaneous connections and your internet bandwidth probably wont be enough to allow many users either, but maybe that isn't an issue.

Be SPECIFIC about what you want.

You would need a static IP address so it never changes, usually that is a commercial package with internet providers, with different pricing to normal internet access. Linix webserver software is free. 

You mention your own application, does that mean you already have it written and ready to go ? Otherwise, how long is a piece of string.

if its just a website then the cost wouldn't be to much, either do it yourself with wordpress etc or pay someone. Maybe 10-20 k for a couple of pages to show and store photos.

Without knowing what you want to do its a little hard to give you pricing.

Facebook and line are social media sites, their primary function is not the storing of images, an image library would be nothing like facebook or line. the cost would be huge if you are trying to duplicate FB or line.

24 minutes ago, Peterw42 said:

the cost would be huge if you are trying to duplicate FB or line.

I tried VK, a new Social-Media server which is an (limited) imitation of Facebook.
Everybody can join for free.
Do you try to say that the founder spend a huge sum of money to create a copy of Facebook which is free?

Creating something like facebook costs millions of dollars, its 100s of programmers, millions of manhours. Are you a programmer that can do all of this ? You cant just go to a computer shop and buy a social media program off the shelf, it has to be written or licensed from someone who has already written something similar.

The hosting/storage aspect of the exercise would be largely irrelevant, you can rent servers and storage in purpose built facilities for minimal cost. cheaper than it would cost you to setup and run a server at home.

RE: VK you might need a billion or two in USD to pull another one off;

Ownership[edit]

Initially, founder and CEO Pavel Durov owned 20% of shares (although he had majority voting power through proxy votes), and a trio of Russian-Israeli investors, Yitzchak Mirilashvili (Mikhael Mirilashvili's son) and Lev Leviev,[10] owned 60%, 10%, and 10% respectively.[11] The original founders then sold a stake of 39.99% to Mail.ru Group (formerly Digital Sky Technologies).[12][13]

On 29 May 2012, Mail.ru Group announced that it has decided to yield control of the company to Durov by offering him the voting rights on its shares. Combined with Durov's personal 12% stake, this gave him 52% of the votes.[14][15]

In April 2013, the Mirilashvili family sold its 40% share in VK to United Capital Partners for $1.12 billion,[16][17] while Lev Leviev sold his 8% share in the same deal, giving United Capital Partners 48% ownership. In January 2014, VK's founder Pavel Durov sold his 12% stake in the company to Ivan Tavrin, the CEO of MegaFon, which is controlled by Alisher Usmanov. Following the deal, Usmanov and his allies controlled around 52% of the company.[18] Shortly thereafter, the CEO of Megafon, sold his 12% stake to Mail.ru, thus allowing Mail.ru to consolidate its controlling stake of 52% in VK.[19]

On 1 April 2014, Durov submitted his resignation to the board; at first, due to the fact the company confirmed he had resigned, it was believed to be related to the Ukrainian crisis which began in February of the same year.[20] However, Durov himself claimed it was an April Fool's Joke on 3 April 2014.[21] On 21 April 2014, Durov was dismissed as CEO, claiming he failed to withdraw his letter of resignation a month earlier.[22][23] Durov then claimed the company had been effectively taken over by Vladimir Putin's political faction,[22][24]suggesting his dismissal was the result of both his refusal to hand over personal details of users to federal law enforcement and his refusal to hand over the personal details of people who were members of a VKontakte group dedicated to the Euromaidan protest movement.[22][24] Durov then left Russia and stated that he had "no plans to go back"[24] and that "the country is incompatible with Internet business at the moment".[23]

On 16 September 2014, the Mail.ru group bought the remaining 48% stake of VK from United Capital Partners (UCP)[25] for $1.5 billion,[25] thus becoming the sole proprietor of the social network.[26]

In May 2017, Ukrainian President Petro Poroshenko signed a decree to impose a ban on Mail.ru and its widely used social networks including VKontakte and Odnoklassniki as part of its continued sanctions on Russia for its annexation of Crimea and involvement in the War in Donbass.[27][28][29] Reporters Without Borders condemned the ban, calling it a "disproportionate measure that seriously undermines the Ukrainian people’s right to information and freedom of expression."[30] VK closed its office in Ukraine's capital Kiev mid-June 2017.[31]

Archived