For how long will we be able to use our modern bikes?

Recently we had here a few comments about fuel injection and carburetors. 

Most people agree the electronic fuel injection is fine if it works but it can't be repaired DIY like carburetors.

Now more and more bikes have fancy TFT screens and lots of electronics for everything. Which is nice if everything works. And if it does not work then hopefully the next dealer will be able to fix it. But for how long? And for how long does it make sense to buy parts?

I.e. my 390cc KTM Duke 390 has a TFT screen which is officially also called "Speedometer with TFT, CAN, ABS". It shows the speed and lots of more things. And it cost a fortune. Just that one part cost over 1,000USD. But this is just an example.

https://www.ktmworld.com/oemparts/a/ktm/5ad0e918eb0bed6448e0368f/instruments-lock-system

5-things-we-like-about-the-new-KTM-390-D

So I wonder what happens if i.e. in 5 years that unit is damaged. A small crack is probably enough to make it useless because moisture gets inside and electronics does not like moisture.

If that would happen on an old style bike then worst case the speedo does not work anymore. But the bike still works fine. It just does not show the speed anymore.

But on the modern bike I am pretty sure it won't even start without that 1,000$ screen. So if the bike is a couple of years old and maybe has a retail value of 2,000$ what then? Buy a new screen for 1,000$? Or hope to buy a good quality second hand screen without warranty?

Until now my bike is on warranty and hopefully it will never happen. But somehow I think that most modern bikes now won't work anymore in maybe 10 or 20 years. But old bikes with mechanics which are maybe 30 year old will still work...

What do you think about this?

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Can't comment  - my bike is 46 years old.

Mine is 25 years young and cdi operated but has 4 lovely carbs, I have to say simple cdi's are good and work fine saves a lot of hassle.

• Like 1

I thought this was going to be about the inevitable crackdown on the internal combustion engine.  How much longer will we be able to ride any petrol powered bikes, modern or not?

Neither of my current Triumphs have TFT displays, however I sold the last of my carburetted ones last year, so only injection now.  And, if I wanted to replace either with the latest model then it would have to be TFT.  I wouldn't let that impact on any decision to buy one though.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I think that most modern bikes now won't work anymore in maybe 10 or 20 years.

4 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

What do you think about this?

If you're getting 20 years out of your bike without replacing parts, you're not riding hard enough. 

Well in central London I can’t ride my 1999 plate hornet anymore.......well I can but it will cost me £12:50 per day.....so it’s already happening that we can’t use our old loved toys.

as for all the electronics on everything now ,,,yes it’s terrible has pushed new bike prices up to crazy money,,,,,one of the new super bikes is over £20,000 gbp.

regards repairing these things ,yep it’s generally gonna be a real pain and hitnyounrightbin the pocket.

however the manufactures have it all covered especially in Europe......with these new bikes price is so high no one is going in and paying cash any more,there all bought on a 2 or 3 year pcp deal...you pay deposit and then monthly payment for 2 or 3 years,then at end of agreed period you either buy the bike of them at a previously agreed price ,give it back and walk away or take another new bike on a new pcp deal.

keeps sales rolling and locks customers into finance deals for  the manufacturers and dealers,the happy customers can get a brand new bike every 2 to 3 years.(and a whole life of living on credit)

Edited by taninthai

4 minutes ago, taninthai said:

Good job I fly Thailand in 3 days????????????????

winner.

I like to argue with green idiots in Germany, Switzerland, France...

they always end up asking if I don't like it there, why don't I leave?

so I take precious joy in replying "done! been living in Thailand for over 8 years already, you just stay in your dying cities that will soon be hit by desertification, no traffic, no shops, no jobs, no tax money... in 10 years you won't be able to repair the streets. BYE".

Edited by manarak
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, manarak said:

winner.

I like to argue with green idiots in Germany, Switzerland, France...

they always end up asking if I don't like it there, why don't I leave?

so I take precious joy in replying "done! been living in Thailand for over 8 years already, you just stay in your dying cities that will soon be hit by desertification, no traffic, no shops, no jobs, no tax money... in 10 years you won't be able to repair the streets. BYE".

My next bike will most likely be a E-bike. At least I hope it will be the next big bike generation in Thailand. 

13 hours ago, ballpoint said:

I thought this was going to be about the inevitable crackdown on the internal combustion engine.  How much longer will we be able to ride any petrol powered bikes, modern or not?

Neither of my current Triumphs have TFT displays, however I sold the last of my carburetted ones last year, so only injection now.  And, if I wanted to replace either with the latest model then it would have to be TFT.  I wouldn't let that impact on any decision to buy one though.

BP, what was the Triumph you sold and what did it sell for, if you don't mind me asking, old chap?

Re, the OP, everybody on here knows i am TG, the Luddite.

I'm 59 later this year, been riding legally on the road since FS1E's and 16, and i have never owned a water cooled bike.

I have owned two FI bikes (Moto Guzzis in 2000-2007 in the UK).

I just don't like stuff i can't fix myself.

As for TFT screens - hate the idea. I don't even like digital dashes and that awful barcode rev counter <deleted>.

Give me Analogue any day.

Rant off - don't get me started....

• Like 1

And when something goes bad go to the shop as I did on the streetglide a code comes up supposed to be the problem

$125 USD just to plug the hand held gadget to clear the code.

Then the bill to fix it... painful Had no time to work on it..

in US 1-2 weeks last day ride as much as you can. I drive 

to airport to leave and son rides it back...it’s like an IV

you’ve ride till the end..

13 hours ago, taninthai said:

Well in central London I can’t ride my 1999 plate hornet anymore.......well I can but it will cost me £12:50 per day.....so it’s already happening that we can’t use our old loved toys.

as for all the electronics on everything now ,,,yes it’s terrible has pushed new bike prices up to crazy money,,,,,one of the new super bikes is over £20,000 gbp.

regards repairing these things ,yep it’s generally gonna be a real pain and hitnyounrightbin the pocket.

however the manufactures have it all covered especially in Europe......with these new bikes price is so high no one is going in and paying cash any more,there all bought on a 2 or 3 year pcp deal...you pay deposit and then monthly payment for 2 or 3 years,then at end of agreed period you either buy the bike of them at a previously agreed price ,give it back and walk away or take another new bike on a new pcp deal.

keeps sales rolling and locks customers into finance deals for  the manufacturers and dealers,the happy customers can get a brand new bike every 2 to 3 years.(and a whole life of living on credit)

That is a pure travesty, thought up by bankrupt minds, that have been bought and sold on the street. A real shame. Vintage vehicles should be revered, and not discouraged. Hope the nitwits who created that policy get voted out onto their butts, where they belong. Society has no use for them. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

So I wonder what happens if i.e. in 5 years that unit is damaged. A small crack is probably enough to make it useless because moisture gets inside and electronics does not like moisture.

My Honda Click/Airblade m/c speedo screens last 4-5 years before becoming opaque/marked from the sun.

Then I buy a new one.

3 hours ago, DJ54 said:

And when something goes bad go to the shop as I did on the streetglide a code comes up supposed to be the problem

$125 USD just to plug the hand held gadget to clear the code.

Then the bill to fix it... painful Had no time to work on it..

in US 1-2 weeks last day ride as much as you can. I drive 

to airport to leave and son rides it back...it’s like an IV

you’ve ride till the end..

You can check and if you want reset that code by yourself. You need hardware for 250B

https://www.banggood.com/HHOBD-ELM327-Car-Bluetooth-OBD2-Auto-CAN-BUS-Scanner-Tool-Android-p-913030.htm

and an App for a mobile phone for 150B

https://torque-bhp.com/

Done.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about. With the amount of bikes that get crashed there are always cheap second hand spares available on sites like Ebay and failing that some Chinese company will make a cheap aftermarket part for it. The more upmarket aftermarket companies are thriving as well. 

Personally I think it would have been harder to find a part 20 years ago before e-commerce/China got as advanced as it is today. Both will improve exponentially over the next 20 years.

• Like 2