Denied Entry at Suvarnabhumi on METV

28 minutes ago, BritTim said:

Once you have been denied entry, they will allow you access to the airside ATMs if you show a need.

In my case, they "forced" me to withdraw dollars from the airside ATM from my Thai bank account, then immediately change them into baht to pay for a date change on my return leg. So it was baht --> dollars      --> baht to pay for something I had already paid for!!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, theoldgit said:

If a person holds a valid visa, which the person in question seems to have done, then the airline wouldn't be fined if Thai Immigration refused admission, they would only be fined if the passenger didn't possess the normal entry requirements, a valid visa and/or a return ticket out of Thailand.

There is a caveat, this would certainly be the case for the UK, I'm not 100% if these are internationally recognised standards however. In the UK if a passenger is refused landing because of insufficient evidence, as well as being liable for a fine, the carrier is also liable for the cost of returning the denied passenger, but also any detention costs.  

...20,000 Baht in your pocket is part of the entry requirements and easily checkable by the airline.

Of course we all know this is the standard lie that immigration use when they want to deny someone based on some prejudicial non existant rule about staying too long. The whole thing is nonsense.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Isaanbiker said:

Old hat. First of all, money is never in an ATM card, secondly it's well known that people should have at least 20K cash.

How exactly is it well known other than if you're a member of TV or know someone on TV???

Is it displayed when you purchase a ticket to Thailand - No, Is it mentioned on your Visa application form - No, Is it stated as a pre-requisite on your TM6 form when entering the country - No again.

So unless you frequent these forums or know someone who does, how the <deleted> are you meant to know this BS?

Wouldn't it at least make sense to have this requirement stated on your Tourist visa application form???

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

If you live in a TVF world maybe it’s well known. If your coming here a second time on a Tourist Visa or METV and don’t live on this forum or frequent it regularly or know someone who does you would never know this stupid pathetic draconian rule. It’s silly to carry a lot of cash in this soon to be cashless world. 

You can ready on every thai consulates webpage. Tourists need to show cash 10k person/ 20k family. If you didn’t read the rules please do not leave your dwelling.

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

Once you have been denied entry, they will allow you access to the airside ATMs if you show a need. They will only prevent you using the ATM to meet the cash requirement for entry.

Which makes zero sense does it, they could be a bit more forgiving if someone is not aware of the 20,000 Baht requirement and allow them to make a simple ATM withdrawal and inform them of the requirement instead of kicking their asses out of the country - makes me think they hate foreigners and will do anything to send us back and deny entry.

I suspect nobody who arrives in Thialand will be without 20,000, but not knowing about this regulation wil be pretty common.

Airlines could make sure everyone meets this requirement but they obviously choose not to do so.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

12 minutes ago, ukrules said:

Of course we all know this is the standard lie that immigration use when they want to deny someone based on some prejudicial non existant rule about staying too long. The whole thing is nonsense.

If this is all about immigration and non-existent rules, how do you explain the stamp embassies/consulates use saying future visas might be denied visas because they visit too much?

9 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

You can ready on every thai consulates webpage. Tourists need to show cash 10k person/ 20k family. If you didn’t read the rules please do not leave your dwelling.

On the TV application I fill out, it tells you what you need. No mention of carrying cash of any kind, of any amount.

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

Flame/insult post removed.

7) You will respect fellow members and post in a civil manner. No personal attacks, hateful or insulting towards other members, (flaming) Stalking of members on either the forum or via PM will not be allowed.

35 minutes ago, Straight8 said:

How exactly is it well known other than if you're a member of TV or know someone on TV???

Is it displayed when you purchase a ticket to Thailand - No, Is it mentioned on your Visa application form - No, Is it stated as a pre-requisite on your TM6 form when entering the country - No again.

So unless you frequent these forums or know someone who does, how the <deleted> are you meant to know this BS?

Wouldn't it at least make sense to have this requirement stated on your Tourist visa application form???

At least the embassy at Berlin adds a small note to the visa that the amount of 20,000 BHT or equivalent in foreign currency has to be available in CASH when entering Thailand.

23 hours ago, ukrules said:

Don't go to Thailand more than once a year as a tourist - the message is very clear.

That's not really true is it?  Yes, there have been several reports of denied entries recently and the OP seems a little strange, given that the subject went back to his home for 4 months (there could possibly be more to this case) but on the whole, its the amount of time spent in the Kingdom that seems to be the determining factor.

As I've posted in other threads, I'm a regular visitor (every 8 weeks for 2 weeks) and yes, reading these stories worries me but I've been told at least twice by Thai immigration that its not people like me they are looking for, its people who stay for extended periods of time. 

A lot of those who post here on similar subjects seem to have been using back to back visas/visa exempts to in effect, 'live in Thailand' - its debatable whether that is actually tourism.

Having said that, its about time the Thai authorities issued clear rules on how many visits/how much time you can spend in Thailand. It must be hellish when you are denied entry, having paid for a flight and possibly paid in advance for accommodation, car hire etc.

Clarification of the rules would be good for Thailand and visitors - if stories like this become more common it may not be too long before this becomes another issue making people think twice about visiting Thailand. There are many other choices in the region.

As you will know, the UK for example has a policy of 180 days in 12 months for anyone on a visitor visa regardless of the number of entries.  Although the 180 days in not 'cast in stone' - it is extremely rare for someone to be allowed to stay longer than that and they are never refused entry if they have stayed less - unless there is some other reason to do so. People know where they stand with a UK visa - as they should with a Thai visa. Giving immigration officers arbitrary powers to deny entry is bound to lead to wrong decisions/abuse.

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

23 hours ago, BritTim said:

I generally believe posts like yours until there is good reason to suspect something. However, immigration does not have the power to void visas. Perhaps, there is a problem in communication, but (if this report is not a complete fabrication) immigration is ignoring the visa, not cancelling it.

If your friend was not carrying cash, immigration can validly deny entry under Section 12 (9).

I have found that the Immigration department has the power to do ANYTHING it pleases ! Several years ago I was sitting outside a beer bar near Walking Street, drinking a beer, when an Immigration Police truck pulled up. A few "policemen" got out, walked up to me and said "You are working, get into the truck". I was not working but the officer said "You own a property in Thailand, therefore you are working" !

After being threatened with 3 nights in jail unless I paid them 50,000 bht, plus being ordered to sign a form in Thai that I could not read, also under threat of immediate jail if I did not sign, I haggled the price down some and was allowed to go free. Please do not say the Immigration Dept. is not totally omnipotent.

• Haha 1

23 hours ago, xvend said:

Just to clarify something here, this exact same story is in a facebook group where the person affected has a facebook profile saying that they "live in Bangkok" SO.................

So do Immigration have officers sitting in a room looking on Facebook for people who say they live in Bkk/Thailand? 

On 8/6/2019 at 4:53 PM, SteveK said:

Has this guy ever had any trouble in Thailand before? What is his ethnicity? There must be more to this.

Not necessary, just IOs having got out of bed on the wrong side, and enjoy their authority over people.

What does an American citizen do who is coming to Thailand in October with his Thai wife for a three-week visit? What type of visa do I need? do I need to get a visa from the Thai embassy here in San Francisco before I come?

I lived in Thailand for 5 years with my wife from 2011 to 2016 on a retirement Visa. After coming back to Los Angeles for 3 months to get a serious AFib condition fixed, for several reasons we decided to come back to the States for a few years. We got her an immigrant visa and a green card at the embassy in Bangkok.

I am also curious as to what METV means.

45 minutes ago, zhangxifu said:

For all unaware of Thailands entry requirements, including show some cash, quite a lot actually. Please stop complaining. Grow up. And do your homework! Google it if you have to.

Everyone here knows about this requirement. I've always travelled everywhere around the world with a good chunk of cash on me just in case I can't get to an ATM for a few days or there is some banking issue and I can't use one of my cards.

The issue here is people who are not familiar with the regulations, these are the people who are getting caught out and rejected.

The reason they're not familiar with the regulations is because they're so unusual.

Having said that I've never been asked to show any cash when entering the country anywhere, ever.

• Like 2

On August 6, 2019 at 4:57 PM, BritTim said:

I generally believe posts like yours until there is good reason to suspect something. However, immigration does not have the power to void visas. Perhaps, there is a problem in communication, but (if this report is not a complete fabrication) immigration is ignoring the visa, not cancelling it.

Yes, you're basically getting half the story with reports like these and, whether  intentionally or because of innocent misunderstandings, the reports tend to be selective with the facts and assumptions.

Of course these reports generate the typical reactions from the TV kangaroo court who automatically assume the farang is faultless and the immigrations officers are acting improperly.  And this will be catalogued as evidence of that improper behavior with nothing more than a few unsubstantiated rants as proof.

• Like 1

What does an American citizen do who is coming to Thailand in October with his Thai wife for a three-week visit? What type of visa do I need? do I need to get a visa from the Thai embassy here in San Francisco before I come?

I lived in Thailand for 5 years with my wife from 2011 to 2016 on a retirement Visa. After coming back to Los Angeles for 3 months to get a serious AFib condition fixed, for several reasons we decided to come back to the States for a few years. We got her an immigrant visa and a green card at the embassy in Bangkok.

I am also curious as to what METV means.

METV - multiple entry tourist visa

2 hours ago, EricTh said:

I read more and more stories like this everyday. It seems that immigration is getting tougher recently even after Big Joke left.

I agree this is constant along with lady boy thefts/beatdowns, car/motorcycle deaths, jumper suicides off balcony, etc...welcome to lovely Thailand....it's definitely more adventure than a movie...

• Like 1