Drone use in Thailand by foreigners

Be aware,that registration of Drones by foreigners are halted. Due too complains foreigners have been flying to high,and in restricted areas. Have waited for signage for months,even approved. But no issue of license. Call again next week are the common solution. Foreigners living inside Thailand,might be allowed later.(maybe). Call again next week.....

So no need to buy, as it is today. Waste of time and money. 

So this no longer applies? It's all drones???

General Rules for Flying a Drone in Thailand
Drones weighing more than 25 kilograms (55 pounds) must be registered with the Minister of Transport. Drone pilots must maintain a visual line of sight with their drone at all times. ... Drones must not be flown higher than 90 meters (295 feet).

16 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

So this no longer applies? It's all drones???

Regarding to the regulations,only drones with camera needs registration. Mine is a Mavic air. If it was under  2 kg,and no camera. No need of license.

I

Edited by western
Mismatch on weight

5 minutes ago, HLover said:

True, might as well just fly a kite and save 32,000 thb.

Well,I can fly a drone up too 2kg, without camera. No need for license. You can buy a 200 grams drone,with camera. You need license,insurance for min 1 mill baht. At a cost of 3000 baht.

This regulations seems blur.

Edited by western
Mismatch on weight

I registered my drone almost 3 years ago at the police station in Nathon on Koh Samui. Never heard anything further. They took dozens of photos of it, asked me an interminable number of stupid questions, then said thank you.

4 minutes ago, GalaxyMan said:

I registered my drone almost 3 years ago at the police station in Nathon on Koh Samui. Never heard anything further. They took dozens of photos of it, asked me an interminable number of stupid questions, then said thank you.

Did you receive a License from CAAT?

Edited by western
Misspell

27 minutes ago, IvorBiggun2 said:

What's the point of owning a drone if you don't put a camera on it?

Having fun.

The pilot has a lot of fun without action camera. The camera is just there to be able to publish it on YouTube.

Obviously any FPV drone has a camera to fly it. But that FPV camera is very low quality (but fast transmission).

What's the point of owning a drone if you don't put a camera on it?

They are a brilliant tool to use for a certain kind of sea fishing.

Clip on a spinner, spoon, lure, or even a live bait and let the drone take it out as far as you want into deep seawater. It could be anywhere between 200m to 2km, just make sure your reel has enough line.

Once the drone is in your preferred location, press a button, which releases the lure and/or bait and then press the “return to home button”.

The drone will then return to it’s take off position and land automatically.

Then, the real fun starts, by reeling in the lure/bait.

Some people have caught some huge fish using this method. Just make sure you are relatively fit/strong to be able to wind in the bait. 2km of line takes a long, long time, especially if you have hooked a big specimen.

Enjoy life whilst you are able to!

9 hours ago, GalaxyMan said:

Never heard anything further. What about that is not clear?

According too CAAT,you should have a written license with you at all times. And yearly renewal,and off course minimum 1 million baht insurance.lol

Thats all.lol

14 hours ago, western said:

According too CAAT,you should have a written license with you at all times. And yearly renewal,and off course minimum 1 million baht insurance.lol

Thats all.lol

I've gone back and asked them about it. They told me not to worry, that I registered the drone. Only time will tell, as in I fly it and get questioned. Cheers!

• 3 months later...

Hi guys, I've just finished writing a short blog post on how to fly your drone legally in Thailand. Please feel free to check it out, share it and help spread the word.
I describe the process I have been doing for the third time, and it's up-to-date as last registration is form early November 2019.
I It's not quite as complicated as you may think????.

If you have any questions just drop a line and I will respond as best I can. Thank you
https://spielben.com/fly-a-drone-thailand/

I jumped through the hoops to fly my drone in Thailand and, much like Immigration , they keep changing the rules so it is no longer worth the trouble

I have a million US dollar "umbrella" policy that covers me for any "lawful" actions anywhere in the world, and like the O-A Visa Thai Health insurance scam, I refuse to buy their "mandatory" insurance

Some things in Thailand are just no longer fun 

Edited by Langsuan Man
  • Like 1