Why are so many expats leaving Thailand?

flyingtlger

2 hours ago, moontang said:

The Basis School is opening in BKK this month.  Could be a game changer for expat education options.  

Many of the grocery stores smell awful here, and they wouldn't get away with that in the US...It is about time people wake up to the destructive nature of ridiculous import taxes.  

My kids wouldn't go to the grocery in America with me.  I tear open all the ground beef packages till I find one that's not spoiled in the middle.  Usually takes me 10 or 15.  Try it.  

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, BritManToo said:

You'd be wrong if your home country was the UK.

The high schools were pretty awful between 2001 and 2009, when I was teaching in them.

(I assume you mean government school, as public school means private school in the UK)

I don't know about the school in UK, as I am from Switzerland, and with public school I mean the government school yes.

I also hear, that the schools in Swiss become worse, but still think much better than here!

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

The education in a standard comprehensive school in the UK is way better than that of a standard Government School in Thailand.

But, for some, in not moving back to the UK there are huge Tax savings to be made. The additional cost of living in Thailand, Medical Insurance, more expensive cars etc can be offset by this Tax which we don’t have to pay. 

Thailands best international Schools cost less than the Tax I’d have pay in the UK. 

Thus, the Standard of Education here in Thailand at Schools such as Bangkok Patana are much better than the Standard of Education my Tax would pay for at a Comprehensive School in the UK.

With your Tax savings, mean you not working anymore! As else you would pay Tax in Thai as well. And as I not know about the tax system in UK I can't argue.

But for Swiss as my Home-Country even when have to pay tax it would be cheaper to go to a government school in swiss than to pay for a private school in Thai! And I would trust in a swiss government school more than in a Thai school system. But this I guess is to everybodys option.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, HampiK said:

And I would trust in a swiss government school more than in a Thai school system. But this I guess is to everybodys option.

I've had a Thai daughter come through the Thai government school system just fine.

She's got just over one year left in University.

Our home countries aren't what they used to be.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Our home countries aren't what they used to be.

Well yes thats correct, but all home countries are not what they used to be...., but then it really depends on exactly what you mean be 'aren't what they used to be'. Change is very much an accelerating constant these days. 
I get that many think that old 'Blighty' very much aint what she used to be. My home country aint what she used to be either....., but my home country is comparatively orderly and clean, and unpolluted, and predictable. My home country is Australia..., and I know now(as an adult who's saved comparatively wisely) it is far, far better to live permanently in Australia..., than the false economy of what is erroneously known as the LOS !
Life can be a sh#t sandwich .., and the more bread you have, the less sh#t you have to eat.    

Edited by Sandy Freckle
  • Like 1

20 hours ago, bearpolar said:

im doing the oposite for the kids.

Canadian school, upper middle class neighborhood but kids are mixed with low income.  theres about 30 Moroccan kids in the school that are hyper racists and violent and hate canadians. Teachers are burned out, first year one of my kids had 4 teachers, one that hit herself in front of them and screamed insults at kids and was later hired back.  last year my other kid had 5 teachers, one of them a nice Moroccan man that didnt allow 6 years old to have a single minute of play time(i had him fired). Then you have the kids from appartement complexes with chav smoking indoor parents, they are violent and impolite and already send each others pictures of genitals at 10yo. Their parents are narcissists so the kids stand no chance and your kids are influenced by them. Family means nothing to westerners. Half the forums where people ask about family relationship will tell you to let you parents die if they ask for 10$ to eat because they havnt had food in a month.

Not really a good choice for kids, private and some international thai schools are very good and your kids can grow up with other kids raised by thai families with family values.

My kids go to a french school and its basically heaven if you forget the crazy high prices.

Id say i would be abusing my kids if i had decided to stay in canada for them to grow up.  Most of our income goes towards the school.. it sucks but my kids will benefit so much.

This rant sure seems more like a reflection on yourself rather than Canadian schools. I've got a mess of grandkids in Canadian schools and they are all doing great. Calgarian by any chance?

Edited by pegman

On August 10, 2019 at 12:33 PM, emptypockets said:

Totally agree. It's all about money. I find it amusing that we have literally thousands of posts knocking the Asian 'face' thing when in fact it is alive and well all over the world.

Instead of thirty odd pages of comments on why expats are leaving it could have been summed up in one page.

THEY ARE BROKE. But cannot admit it and use a myriad of anti thai nonsense to justify their (forced) decision to leave.

As an aside the wife and I just spent a very pleasant 3 days at savvankhet, Laos. She got talking to some locals about  general stuff and they mentioned how they don't see many foreigners anymore. The central government seems to think that too many foreigners  affects or (dilutes..my words) their culture and that is not desirable for them.

Possibly this is happening in Thai too? Pattaya may well become the family friendly resort when the , allegedly, culturally unacceptable are driven out. Just a thought.

The only reason foreigners would be in Savannakhet is because they lived in Thailand and wanted the Thai visa given out there. That or like me their live-in came from there and we would visit her family at the rice commune. The best either of us could take of that god forsaken place was 4 days. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

41 minutes ago, pegman said:

The only reason foreigners would be in Savannakhet is because they lived in Thailand and wanted the Thai visa given out there. That or like me their live-in came from there and we would visit her family at the rice commune. The best either of us could take of that god forsaken place was 4 days. 

Yep, Suvannakhet is a total shit-hole, 2 nights while I get my Non-O is the only reason to go.

And now they have the VISA van crowds, I've changed to HCMC which is a lot of fun, I stay there a week.

4 hours ago, Nemises said:

Is Australia really “far, far better” for a single, healthy, non-property owning pensioner who seeks the occasional company of beautiful ladies??

Sadly not in any way, shape or form...., excepting when you strike ill health..., and then even the known health system(less than it should be) in Australia will likely serve you better than the existent health system that Thailand will provide for you..., if you have the funds. 

Edited by Sandy Freckle

21 hours ago, HampiK said:

I don't know about the school in UK, as I am from Switzerland, and with public school I mean the government school yes.

I also hear, that the schools in Swiss become worse, but still think much better than here!

With your Tax savings, mean you not working anymore! As else you would pay Tax in Thai as well. And as I not know about the tax system in UK I can't argue.

But for Swiss as my Home-Country even when have to pay tax it would be cheaper to go to a government school in swiss than to pay for a private school in Thai! And I would trust in a swiss government school more than in a Thai school system. But this I guess is to everybodys option.

I work rotation (4 weeks in Dubai, 4 weeks holiday in Thailand) - No Tax in Dubai and as I'm a tourist in Thailand, no Tax in Thailand either. 

I think there are quite a few people like me who work rotation this way and don't have to pay Tax in Thailand.

If I'm in the UK for more than 91 days per year I'd have to pay full tax there.

On the Schooling - If I couldn't afford a good school in Thailand I wouldn't think twice about moving back to the UK and sending my Son to school there - its about doing the best we can with what we have.

On 8/8/2019 at 10:59 AM, 4MyEgo said:

No probs, WOW $40, not sure when my mate was last home, probably a couple of years, and yes maybe they have different taxes ?

Sure glad I quit when they were $10, can you imagine 7 packs of B&H, that's like $280 a week, cricky !

Gave up smoking when they hit 2 shillings for 20 . so a long long time ago .

12 hours ago, Nemises said:

Is Australia really “far, far better” for a single, healthy, non-property owning pensioner who seeks the occasional company of beautiful ladies??

No shortage of Thai and other Asian ladies for short term rental in Oz. Just look in the personal ads in any newspaper.

10 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Yep, Suvannakhet is a total shit-hole, 2 nights while I get my Non-O is the only reason to go.

And now they have the VISA van crowds, I've changed to HCMC which is a lot of fun, I stay there a week.

I quite enjoyed it. Small hotel ( basically a three bedroom two storey house  done up as a hotel) near the river and night market, live music in the bars. The hotel owner was a real hottie. Outside shower so I managed to perve on her as she walked past wearing only a towel wrapped around her while I was having a smoke. Very nice lady. Didn't mind a drink too. 

Tuk tuk to the day market where the wife bought some stuff. All up quite a nice three day break.

• Confused 1

22 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

No shortage of Thai and other Asian ladies for short term rental in Oz. Just look in the personal ads in any newspaper.

Price for Asians hasn't changed in decades. around 70 bucks on a dirty matress on the floor

Edited by madmen

32 minutes ago, emptypockets said:

Nonsense, they mostly work out of hotels and motels.

Not my local brothel in the western suburb's when I went. Floor mattress star fish why would I make that up? 

The upside are rub n tug is 50 usually at her home much nicer 

On 8/8/2019 at 5:28 AM, Jingthing said:

You're wrong. Many on the forum have stated they already left mainly over visa issues.

Sent from my Lenovo A7020a48 using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

Maybe the ones on here who are in denial and starting to turn a little nasty are starting to feel a little vulnerable. The problem with going up one way streets is there's no turning back. Bloke on here the other day was looking for work back in Europe. Poor bugger is 62 years old and running out of money fast.

On 8/12/2019 at 6:33 PM, JaiLai said:

I’ve never seen a girl bouncing, well........

Sent from my iPhone using Thailand Forum - Thaivisa mobile app

I met her while she was boxing in Patpong.  I was in the bar to buy a 45.  Noticed she didn't seem to feel pain.  I gave her manager 1000 baht for an introduction.  I guess you have not been in Thailand long but it was a wild place 20 years ago.  That is one reason why a few people don't come back.  For me it was my wild years gave way to my calm old man years.

I met her while she was boxing in Patpong.  I was in the bar to buy a 45.  Noticed she didn't seem to feel pain.  I gave her manager 1000 baht for an introduction.  I guess you have not been in Thailand long but it was a wild place 20 years ago.  That is one reason why a few people don't come back.  For me it was my wild years gave way to my calm old man years.

Interesting....

I’ve been here since 98’ - things are certainly tame / boring now in comparison

• Like 1

I left Thailand because of the disgusting state of the place. Filthy sewage in ocean. Trucks with speakers at the beaches, cracking rotten concrete infrastructure. It's like having a holiday in some weird trashy Asian version of Mad Max world. The place is run by somebody about as personable as Immoten Joe is anyway.

I had gotten a 5 year Thai Elite and when I left it still had three years on it. I do not miss the place at all. These days I mostly just post in the world news section as I don't have much to add to anything Thai related.

Where do you live now?

10 minutes ago, JaiLai said:

Where do you live now?

Back home in the USA. I looked at other locations in SE Asia, Latin America, etc. But came to the conclusion they all looked as bad or worse than Thailand and why do that to myself again hoping for a different result?

Edited by Cryingdick
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Cryingdick said:

I left Thailand because of the disgusting state of the place. Filthy sewage in ocean. Trucks with speakers at the beaches, cracking rotten concrete infrastructure. It's like having a holiday in some weird trashy Asian version of Mad Max world. The place is run by somebody about as personable as Immoten Joe is anyway.

I had gotten a 5 year Thai Elite and when I left it still had three years on it. I do not miss the place at all. These days I mostly just post in the world news section as I don't have much to add to anything Thai related.

Grand.  Keep clinging to your memories, and the forum as well. ????

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1