Thailand based blogger Richard Barrow reveals difficulties in renewing extension of stay

rooster59

On 8/11/2019 at 2:12 PM, Tagged said:

If Richard is denied new visa, what would that lead to? 100´s of Thai Visa members and followers move now, and 100´s later, or will life goes on as useal, and the same followers will adjust themselves to the system? 

If you have invested your life here, you will not leave before you have to, but if you have nothing, and just have your bags to pack up, it is easier, right? 

So what is the moral in the story? 

erm... always sign a dud cheque with your wife's name ?

On 8/10/2019 at 8:04 AM, aqua4 said:

Reading Thai visa not many get the option to be ready. They just get turned away. 

A) Did not change

B) Thats what nobody understands.

I believe I can control my exit from Thailand, since I pay attention to what I need to have, and what to do, thanks to TV.

I aggree, nothing have changed, except the currency factor, and you need solid proof of income/transfer, money in bank, and proper visa!

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 11:38 PM, 9653 said:

It looks to me, that we farangs are a real thorn in the eyes of the Thai immigration.

I cant quite comprehend that we should be such an alien people to them.

Foreigners in Germany or Australia to me always had something mysterious or intriguing about them but I never felt that they deserved to be given a hard time, just because they choose to live with us.

I actually looked forward to be a foreigner in an asian country myself, when i left Australia.

I hit it spot on, when I came here, I love the Thai people.

However, somehow there is something peculiar going on with immigration.

Feels like post war east German government suppression.

I am due for my October retirement renewal. My family and me are very nervous, if I have or have not what they want.

I think I have, the 800 anyway, but the monthly income of 65 i have not.

Now do they want either, or, or both?

However, I read all the stories of Thai visa dot com, and I wonder am I not good enough to die in this country.

But i tell you one thing, if they give me a hard time, they can shove me on the plane back to Aussie, I wont have a bed to sleep in, because my bed is here, but at least I get a free hearing aid

maybe read the rules before complaining

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 5:24 PM, SoilSpoil said:

Lots of us have children here, and most countries would acknowledge the importance of families with children. Thailand's population, just as many wealthier countries, is in decline. We have 2 children and if the ground is getting too hot for us, we will have to move to Europe. Sell our assets and restart elsewhere. 

Something's gotta give imho, with more and more mixed marriages and families living here. For me, its not only my visa extension anymore, but it's become a family affair. 

So you can't afford to live here, Europe would be way more expensive, so how are you going to survive there? 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

So you can't afford to live here, Europe would be way more expensive, so how are you going to survive there? 

Not true. The best scenery and cheapest life in Europe are from the east. Way cheaper than Thailand. I assume you're talking London, Paris etc but WHO wants to live there, not me 

On ‎8‎/‎10‎/‎2019 at 6:21 PM, brewsterbudgen said:

I thought Barrow worked as a teacher in Thailand?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

He is, and some people call him mr. Thailand, just a teacher who tries to get some more money through is  his website. "I do it for free but here is my paypal account."

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 9:03 AM, Felt 35 said:

The world are watching and there are a difference in slapping some on the face than to telling them through regulations and media on a daily basis to watch their step.... otherwise a knockout

The world doesn't give a hoot about western economical refugees.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 2:51 PM, fforest1 said:

Hey I would be more than interested in one of your 250,000 Baht a month jobs....Thats really good of you to be paying way above western wages.....

Doubt you have the skills. Know Thai people who make 800K plus a month.

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 7:20 PM, onera1961 said:

I don't know who this Barrow fella is but I am sure nobody is going to deport him because he may be a small potato. How widely read is his blog? Has he ever written about the perfect trap Thailand has laid for sexpats to visits thousands of brothels fronting as bars and young girls are pimped for marriage to old creepy sexpats in those brothels? If not, he is not writing the real reason single males visit Thailand. 

Apparently he is a teacher, in the same job for decades and writes things about Thailand. Not for money but does gives out his PayPal account.

• Like 1

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2019 at 8:14 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

Some times I wonder that Immigration personnel are jealous of us because many of us have the luxury of being able to have 800,000B sitting in a bank account that we don't use or 65,000 or more Barht every month for retirement, purchase a new house and land with cash, and a new car. I suspect it would take 10-15 years or more for them to acquire that sort of spare cash and assets. Just thinking!

For the HISO Thais, you are a nobody. 

• Like 1

On 8/11/2019 at 12:38 PM, Orton Rd said:

He should change his nationality to Chinese, the stuff they pull and get away with, including the purchasing of Thai nationality is amazing. It's not what you know but who you know and it's not always that expensive either, we as falangs are treated differently to non native Chinese living here, I know it for a fact.

Name one Chinese person, just one, who you are on nodding terms with who has purchased Thai nationality and shared their methodology with you.

Otherwise, barstool bol***ks.

• Thanks 1

On 8/10/2019 at 10:19 PM, DUNROAMIN said:

Thailand has been "anti foreigner" for a long time and I doubt it will not change to soon.

Everywhere I've travelled in Thailand to see a particular venue it always Thais free and "farang" pays, or Thais pay "X" and "farangs pay triple, regardless of how long you have lived here.

I have been a long term customer of "Lazada" Thailand, recently I noticed that my "E" wallet bonus money that is generated by Lazada cannot be used anymore. I received 50B in my "E" wallet only to now find that foreigners, "farangs" cannot use this money.

I sent them an email saying they were a racist company, when they finally responded about this matter they gave me the standard Thai answer "sorry".

Third world country and mentality to match.

Lazada converted my "E" wallet money to a voucher. Easy peacy! 

5 hours ago, FritsSikkink said:

Tjernobyl seems to have a good deal

Actually that's in Ukraine, and Belgrade is much cheaper than Bangkok.

Many good value for the money places in Europe. Thailand has become quite overpriced.

On 8/11/2019 at 8:35 PM, Happystance said:

Falang come to a Junta-led 3rd world country with no due process and try to mix in the politics?

An online petition! ????

Screaming "Me! Me! Me!"

And expect what?

Nobody is screaming anything. Sebastian of Isaan Lawyers has lived in Thailand for many years.  He works with Thai lawyers, was married to a Thai woman.......basically he knows and understands Thailand and its ways. He knows that the way forward is through negotiation.

Your post reminds me of those who claim that the foreigner loses everything when a marriage breaks down, those who say that foreigners always lose, nobody will listen, etc. etc.

Just after Christmas I was in a bar in Bangkok talking to a group of Australians who were stood next to me. One of the guys was telling the tale of his mate who'd built a house for his 'teerak' and lost everything. Another - one that appeared to have lived in Thailand long term was agreeing and saying the old thing "never invest more than you can afford to lose in Thailand".  I asked the first guy if his mate had seen a lawyer before deciding to walk away - as far as he knew he hadn't because "everybody knows a foreigner can't win". I simply nodded and let it slide, I was never going to win an argument with those guys. However, talk to Sebastian or any decent Thai lawyer, ask them how many foreigners have 'lost everything' when their cases were conducted according to Thai law in the courts. You may well be very surprised.

In a different matter, I was told that as a 'farang' I had no chance of winning a case against a major hospital group who I felt had wronged me - I won and received full compensation. I've been told my driving licence will be taken away from me and I'll have to pay to get it back if I refuse to pay fake 'fines' to police officers - I've never paid 'fake' fines and my licence has never been taken away.

It might be necessary to conduct matters differently to how one would conduct them in the West but in my experience so far, statements that 'foreigners lose everything' and have no rights are just not true.  I've had to react differently in those cases to how I would behave in my home country and there have been attempts to make me feel I had no chance but I have been successful. Perhaps my luck will change one day but that's my experience to date.

If you go in shouting and balling and telling the Thai's they are wrong, then yes, you're likley to be shown the door. However, I very much doubt that Sebastian is going to do any screaming and I have every confidence that he knows how to negotiate.  Remember this - TM30 does not affect him personally - he is trying to help those who it does affect.

Edited by KhaoYai
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, gamesgplayemail said:

so did he update the story ?

still glossing ?

If you cared to read the 20 pages (so far) on this topic you would see that he is meeting with them (immigration) again on Friday!

8 hours ago, Traubert said:

Name one Chinese person, just one, who you are on nodding terms with who has purchased Thai nationality and shared their methodology with you.

Otherwise, barstool bol***ks.

As if I would publish the persons name on a public website, if you don't believe it up to you, it happened anyway.