Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

On 11/14/2019 at 6:59 AM, treetops said:

Not quite.  Retox have occupied the container next to the main restaurant building for a while, but have recently moved out of the main building.  I think the poster is referring to Lone Star Texas Grill where the chef and menu moved from their original premises to Retox Lengkee.  I don't know if they're still there since the downsizing.  Either way, it wasn't Smokey Joe's.

Is it confirmed that Steak & Co is part of the sale of  Smokin' Joe's, or is it a completely separate business?

1 hour ago, Leaver said:

Is it confirmed that Steak & Co is part of the sale of  Smokin' Joe's, or is it a completely separate business?

I'm not involved with it, but they were historically jointly owned so it makes sense.  Reported elsewhere as being Jap/Korean buyers IIRC.

12 hours ago, treetops said:

I'm not involved with it, but they were historically jointly owned so it makes sense.  Reported elsewhere as being Jap/Korean buyers IIRC.

I wouldn't call myself a regular at Steak & Co, but did occasionally dine there.  I hope it remains. 

On 11/16/2019 at 7:12 PM, jacko45k said:

I am more irritated in GGBs when they try to push you into particular seats. Many times they are holding out the best places for Mr big tip from Shibuya.

Have you been into a GoGo lately?  Take your pick of where you would like to sit.  Mr big tip from Shibuya couldn't make it this year.  ????

7 hours ago, Leaver said:

Have you been into a GoGo lately?  Take your pick of where you would like to sit.  Mr big tip from Shibuya couldn't make it this year.  ????

Sure, just a few days ago. Some had plenty places, some were pretty busy. Don't recall any attempt to herd me into a seat though as has happened before...they get short shrift anyhow, as do the tequila girls who will be along shortly!

4 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Sure, just a few days ago. Some had plenty places, some were pretty busy. Don't recall any attempt to herd me into a seat though as has happened before...they get short shrift anyhow, as do the tequila girls who will be along shortly!

Went into a couple on LK Metro recently, very few customers, and being a little late, was surprised to see some good looking girls still on stage. 

I was in a nearby bar and was keeping an eye on people entering and exiting, and didn't see much activity, but they could have gone for a short time and come back to work, but maybe not.

On 11/12/2019 at 7:02 PM, kinyara said:

Have there been a significant number of closures yet ?  Any trend that would point to something other than the normal Pattaya business turnover ?

A lot of For Sale signs on establishments now.  That's nothing new for Thailand, where EVERYTHING is for sale, but when the leases end, and there is no point continuing, what is left to sell?

On 11/16/2019 at 4:36 AM, fhickson said:

had some freak server do the seat moving routine again tonight, again...

wide open venue with one other customer.

"dont sit there its very hot"

second seat, "very loud, near street..."

third time, "the customer has left you should move over there"...

this time i played along and moved twice just to see what would happen. when she asked a third time i told her turn on the fans above where i was currently seated. turned on and she shut up after that.

cant figure out if this bs, or some misguided attempt at service, or desperation from lack of customers??

wont be returning. sometimes its better to just shut up. if i sit at a particular spot its because i want to sit there, not because its not good enough, stupid.

this is a small italian place up for sale near big c, not sure of the price.

I actually had this happen to me last night. 

I was told "this chair better" but it wasn't in a different part of the bar, it was just at the other side of the same table. 

I thought it strangle, and remembered this discussion.  When I asked "why better" she said "chair more nice for you" or something like that.  I looked at the chair, and it was bigger, had more padding, and appeared more new.  This was something I didn't consider. 

I moved to the chair and was more comfortable.  Maybe it's the chair itself.  ????

14 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

When did Tequila Reef Mexican restaurant on Soi 7 close down?  Google says it has moved and changed its name to The Reef Cantina and will open on the 10th December.

Any info?

I heard they moved near Foodland on Central......No loss I gave up on Tequila Reef years ago......Sues place is waaaay better....

31 minutes ago, fforest1 said:

I heard they moved near Foodland on Central......No loss I gave up on Tequila Reef years ago......Sues place is waaaay better....

I was at Sue's the day the were closing a few years back, I guess somebody bought it and continued? Haven't visited since.

Not sure if my earlier prediction about Le Mar in Jomthien closing has become true. It's been wiped off google maps, last trace I saw was 'Permanently Closed'. Need to verify. No wonder if it is closed, it was a small pocket of west in the New China.

Edited by DrTuner

13 minutes ago, KhunHeineken said:

Ok.  I'll give Sue's a try.  Any recommendations there?

I forget the exact name but on the first page of sues menu there is a beef/bean burrito plate I always order that I think is good...Also the corn chips are very outstanding there, only problem is they give you so much that its a bit  to much for one person but would be fine for 2 or more......

5 hours ago, DrTuner said:

I was at Sue's the day the were closing a few years back, I guess somebody bought it and continued? Haven't visited since.

Not sure if my earlier prediction about Le Mar in Jomthien closing has become true. It's been wiped off google maps, last trace I saw was 'Permanently Closed'. Need to verify. No wonder if it is closed, it was a small pocket of west in the New China.

Sue's Place is still under the same ownership but they closed down for refurb much too my dismay.

It was the last of the old school bars with very pictures of marines & old signed dollar bills all over the walls, beauty board on the walls & old fans, it was a time machine.

The place rocked when the Fleet were in town but then the whole town did

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, SidJames said:

Yes, it was often a late night (early morning) visit for me if I was still alone! Not for a taco though! Darn that was a long time ago.

22 hours ago, fforest1 said:

I forget the exact name but on the first page of sues menu there is a beef/bean burrito plate I always order that I think is good...Also the corn chips are very outstanding there, only problem is they give you so much that its a bit  to much for one person but would be fine for 2 or more......

Ok.  Thanks.  Will check it out at some stage in the next few days.  I will miss Tequila Reef.  Been going there for years.  Some other bars closed on Soi 7 also. 

18 hours ago, SidJames said:

Sue's Place is still under the same ownership but they closed down for refurb much too my dismay.

It was the last of the old school bars with very pictures of marines & old signed dollar bills all over the walls, beauty board on the walls & old fans, it was a time machine.

Where  is Sue's place? Where is best value place for Mexican now?

On 12/6/2019 at 5:19 PM, fforest1 said:

Went to Sue's last night.  The burrito is on the second page of the menu.  I ordered a chicken one.  Very nice.  Then I remembered your post about the corn chips, so I ordered them as well.  It was a huge bowl of corn chips.  I tried them and they were the best I ever had.  I then ordered another beer and sat back and made a pig of myself.  It was too many for one person, but they were that nice I ate them all.  ????

I will miss Tequila Reef because not only was the food good but that soi is more lively and more central, but happy I have found a nearby alternative. 

Thanks again.

KH

Edited by KhunHeineken
  • Like 2

On 12/13/2019 at 11:56 AM, KhunHeineken said:

I will miss Tequila Reef because not only was the food good but that soi is more lively and more central,

It will be interesting to see what will become of that property.  Surely, not another Indian restaurant.  ????

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, Leaver said:

In view of the thread running in the news section about the Indian Nana Plaza for The Avenue, does anyone know if the Robin Hood will stay or go?

One of the Baku guys has said elsewhere that several of the existing businesses will remain.  He gave a list and although I can't remember them all, it included The Robin Hood.

13 hours ago, treetops said:

One of the Baku guys has said elsewhere that several of the existing businesses will remain.  He gave a list and although I can't remember them all, it included The Robin Hood.

I had also hard the Robin Hood has signed a long lease. 

On 12/17/2019 at 9:37 PM, treetops said:

Good to hear. 

On 12/18/2019 at 11:35 AM, jacko45k said:

I had also hard the Robin Hood has signed a long lease. 

I've never owned a business here, nor do I ever want to.

Out of interest, does any member know, should a landlord sell a property, is the new landlord obliged to honor the leases of the previous landlord?