Forum maintenance tonight from approx. 11pm - 1.30am ×

Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

4 hours ago, Leaver said:

Large fridge and freezer in the kitchen.  Large drink fridge/s in the restaurant.  These are on 27/7.  Running in a hot climate.  

Possible electric cooking, and water heater.

Air conditioning would also be expensive to run during opening hours. 

Lighting not so expensive, but also on during opening hours.  

Opening hours 2pm to 11pm.  Open an hour early for prep, and close an hour later for clean up.  That's 11 hours a day, but fridges and freezers running constantly.  

You don't think it's possible?

No.

9 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

No.

But i have known people with more appliances on than you mention and their bills were never anywhere near that much.

Maybe there's a different tarrif for residential and business rates?

I only mentioned what I thought would be the appliances that are the bigger users, but there are many others.  Eg. cash registers, computers, CCTV etc etc etc etc.

Maybe there are different tariffs, that there's certainly some big electric motors running a lot in an operation like that.       

5 minutes ago, Leaver said:

I only mentioned what I thought would be the appliances that are the bigger users, but there are many others.  Eg. cash registers, computers, CCTV etc etc etc etc.

Maybe there are different tariffs, that there's certainly some big electric motors running a lot in an operation like that.       

cash registers, computers, CCTV etc etc etc etc.

These are negligible. 

6 minutes ago, HashBrownHarry said:

cash registers, computers, CCTV etc etc etc etc.

These are negligible. 

They all add to the total use of electric.  

You say you don't believe 28k per month, but don't say what you think would be an appropriate figure.  

Anyone been out to their favourite bar or restaurant tonight or the last couple of days and can comment on the actual situation they've seen for themselves? 

What I've seen is worse than I expected and I wouldn't say my expectations were set very high. After Tuesday when more places re-open can't help thinking it's going to spread the limited custom even thinner. 

I hate to say it for the staff concerned but I can only see more closures being posted on here over the next few months. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Leaver said:

Like a computer, there is sleep, hibernate, and shut down.  We will soon see which businesses end up doing what.  

Its hard to say for Hooters Pattaya.....They seem to have a pretty good sized war chest....And despite all the setbacks they have seemed determined to stay open....But then again Covid could be the straw that broke the camels back.....

3 hours ago, redwood1 said:

Its hard to say for Hooters Pattaya.....They seem to have a pretty good sized war chest....And despite all the setbacks they have seemed determined to stay open....But then again Covid could be the straw that broke the camels back.....

They need to review their pricing. Expats are not going to pay what they charged pre-Covid.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, redwood1 said:

They would be paying a large franchise fee, in a place devoid of tourists. 

We have discussed if Thai landlords were going going to offer some rent reduction, but franchise fees is another one.  McDonalds, Subway etc.  I wonder if they will be getting a franchise fee reduction.  If not, maybe some on them might close as well.   

I,ve just been informed that many of the bars on the New Plaza have informed their previously salaried staff they will have to revert to "freelancing".....anyone else can confirm or not?

1 hour ago, TaaSaparot said:

Sergio's Pizza Factory did not survive.

105963434_2546241585687022_615536245796571598_o.jpg.71da1e43200ee927991418411a389521.jpg

It is simply a flawed model for your main ingredient to be taxed so heavily(cheese)..or at least it costs double or triple of what I am used to paying.  Wine?  What's that?

10 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

Looking at the state of most of the women in New Plaza bars I am surprised that any bar owner would commit to a monthly salary !    ????

beauty is in the eye of the beholder

14 hours ago, moontang said:

It is simply a flawed model for your main ingredient to be taxed so heavily(cheese)..or at least it costs double or triple of what I am used to paying.  Wine?  What's that?

Yes. Difficult to sell an internationally desired food dish, such as pizza, to tourists from all over the world, when pizza is cheaper in their home countries. 

As for wine, the tax on wine is ridiculous here.  Government looking after their friends at ThaiBev.   

23 hours ago, petermik said:

I,ve just been informed that many of the bars on the New Plaza have informed their previously salaried staff they will have to revert to "freelancing".....anyone else can confirm or not?

I can't confirm it, but it makes sense.  Just not enough expats to support having bar girls on salary. 

I would say this will be the case for many bars, until the tourists come back, but even then, bars with the lady drink and bar fine business model will not be able to compete with the girls working off the apps.  

On 7/3/2020 at 11:52 PM, kinyara said:

Anyone been out to their favourite bar or restaurant tonight or the last couple of days and can comment on the actual situation they've seen for themselves? 

What I've seen is worse than I expected and I wouldn't say my expectations were set very high. After Tuesday when more places re-open can't help thinking it's going to spread the limited custom even thinner. 

I hate to say it for the staff concerned but I can only see more closures being posted on here over the next few months. 

Went to my favourite pizza place (Sicily) on Wednesday night, Place was rammed as usual.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Leaver said:

Yes. Difficult to sell an internationally desired food dish, such as pizza, to tourists from all over the world, when pizza is cheaper in their home countries. 

As for wine, the tax on wine is ridiculous here.  Government looking after their friends at ThaiBev.   

There wAs a promotion at The Mall..buy 2 slice, get one free..so you get three slices for 200...it looked like someone overcooked a Red Barron frozen pizza, passed out drunk after the first slice, then found it a day later, and reheated it.