Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

4 hours ago, kinyara said:

Since the venue has been discussed on here previously I will mention that the PJ-DJ bar on Soi 7 has "temporarily" closed down. No surprise to some of us, a certain inevitability about the owners decision. Always thought it was an over-ambitious move perhaps driven by the popularity of his other bar, but then that area is now where Soi 7's traditional market has moved to all year round. 

There is no PJ-DJ Bar now, it was sold and renamed A7-DJ 

On 7/15/2020 at 3:50 AM, mstevens said:

How busy is it usually at 11 PM? Only ever been there much earlier.

Maybe the masses had walked around the corner to Walking Street and the gogo bars were all rammed full at that time?

they made the usual common error and bad business choice of increasing prices when customer levels are very limited across Pattaya and the result - an empty bar

• Like 1

8 hours ago, smedly said:

they made the usual common error and bad business choice of increasing prices when customer levels are very limited across Pattaya and the result - an empty bar

That old tried and tested business model in Thailand that i sure to make you go bust. Even buffaloes learn from their mistakes.

It astounds me how many businesses actually fold in Thailand. Coffee shops open next to another, 7/11, shops and countless others that just don't seem to have a business plan for 5 years and a marketing strategy.

I would like to think that this would change but I don't believe it will. It seems ingrained in a mindset that will take many many years to erode. Which is a shame as it has the potential to be be one of the most prosperous counties in SE Asia with its natural resources.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

That old tried and tested business model in Thailand that i sure to make you go bust. Even buffaloes learn from their mistakes.

It astounds me how many businesses actually fold in Thailand. Coffee shops open next to another, 7/11, shops and countless others that just don't seem to have a business plan for 5 years and a marketing strategy.

I would like to think that this would change but I don't believe it will. It seems ingrained in a mindset that will take many many years to erode. Which is a shame as it has the potential to be be one of the most prosperous counties in SE Asia with its natural resources.

As a customer, I love the turnover of restaurants, always somewhere new to try, and some get added to my list of regulars.

And, is it really any different of any other city?

11 hours ago, Laughing Gravy said:

What always amazed me was the amount of times some Thais went into obvious business failures and still found the money for the next stupid idea.

No shortage of money out there, same with the new car thing and other huge expenses they seem to suck up, bemoan but learn nothing from. 

Edited by englishoak
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

As a customer, I love the turnover of restaurants, always somewhere new to try, and some get added to my list of regulars.

And, is it really any different of any other city?

I like some new but the change in Thailand is so dramatic. You just get use to a place and the place closes down due to lack of planning and thought. Just my opinion.

4 hours ago, englishoak said:

What always amazed me was the amount of times some Thais went into obvious business failures and still found the money for the next stupid idea.

No shortage of money out there, same with the new car thing and other huge expenses they seem to suck up, bemoan but learn nothing from. 

I see that as a positive for the Thais . Why give up on life if you fail ? I have failed at things many times some my fault and some not. But with every failure I have come back stronger .  

It's like a game of go-go chess with the pawns being taken out first.

The landlords will be like the knights chasing around at odd angles trying to put the rents up on the castles & bishops left standing not really worrying the queen & king as they own them outright.

• Like 1

I noticed today the Avenue food court is down to about 6-7-8? food stalls....And it seems they have turned off the air-con there.....When I was there I only saw a few people eating......The rest of the food court is empty.....

5 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

I noticed today the Avenue food court is down to about 6-7-8? food stalls....And it seems they have turned off the air-con there.....When I was there I only saw a few people eating......The rest of the food court is empty.....

I thought it closed months ago, the end is nigh anyway, the electronic card till people left months ago

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SidJames said:

It's like a game of go-go chess with the pawns being taken out first.

The landlords will be like the knights chasing around at odd angles trying to put the rents up on the castles & bishops left standing not really worrying the queen & king as they own them outright.

and how much income does an empty property generate?

12 hours ago, redwood1 said:

It never seemed to be doing very well. Conversely the one in Big-CX is always busy, there is amusuements for the kids there though so it is an indoor playground too.

21 hours ago, kingdong said:

and how much income does an empty property generate?

For a Thai, an empty property doesn't generate money, but it generates a lot of "face."  However, this time, there will be no one for a Thai landlord to hold out for. 

Even if they lost some face and lowered their prices, there's still no takers, and will not be for the foreseeable future.  

• Like 1

On 8/13/2019 at 9:23 PM, Leaver said:

Seriously guys, is there no concern for the establishments you frequent?

I know I have seen a few of my favorite places really struggling, to the point I would not be surprised to see their doors closed soon.

A few of these are well established and nice places, that did have regular, and repeat clientele.

Good food.  Pleasant staff.  Nice environment. Cold beer.  All the sport on.  I will miss them, if / when they close. 

honestly no, i dont stick around if the view or cost of beer becomes noncompetitive,

another place will sail up as my temporary favorite

On 7/24/2020 at 6:01 PM, redwood1 said:

So the planned Pattaya Nana Plaza at "The Avenue" hasnt opened yet ?