Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

6 minutes ago, SidJames said:

It's a buyer's market & will be for a considerable amount of time

Spot on.  But what are you buying in this climate?  I can only imagine it would be like visiting the supermarket to purchase a bag of pain.  You can find pain in both the fresh and freezer sections.  Take the bag of pain home and open it up, cook it and enjoy your pain.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, torturedsole said:

Spot on.  But what are you buying in this climate?  I can only imagine it would be like visiting the supermarket to purchase a bag of pain.  You can find pain in both the fresh and freezer sections.  Take the bag of pain home and open it up, cook it and enjoy your pain.

:)

Some people like a bit of SM but also some retirees just want a project, there's always a market but good markets need that balance of quality customer & quality vendor with a decent product.

The market is now skewed because of present conditions so very hard to value.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Leaver said:

A business may cease to operate out of a particular building, but that may not mean a business ceases to operate.  

They will not only be looking for a cheaper rent, but cheaper deposit and less (if any) key money. I think those initial needs for a new location are a deterance.

Edited by jacko45k

11 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

They will not only be looking for a cheaper rent, but cheaper deposit and less (if any) key money. I think those initial needs for a new location are a deterance.

looks like the landlords are going to price themselves out the market,happening in the uk with pub landlords expecting full rent for pubs that can,t sell beer.it seems a lot of people think this will be over in a couple of months,take a look at whats happening in the usa.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Leaver said:

The facts are unknown at this stage.  It's currently speculation, by all posters, except for a few reports of official permanent closures. 

That said, it it doesn't look good for a high percentage of bars and restaurants to remain open here. 

All will be revealed in the near future. 

So you keep saying.

In the meantime, its best to stick to facts.

10 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Even with a good deal, it's still a big decision to make, because there are moving and fit out costs. Eg. signage. 

There's a risk of throwing money at a new premises when there may be no returns for 18 months, or longer. 

• Like 1

On 6/27/2020 at 3:14 AM, SidJames said:

If I was in the game over here then I would see what the rents are like on empty places & then be asking my landlord to match these or even better them if I'd been a long term & reliable tenant.

It's a buyer's market & will be for a considerable amount of time

Thai landlords seem to prefer to have an empty property rather than lower the rent. 

The current situation may just change all that. 

On 6/30/2020 at 4:51 AM, scubascuba3 said:

"well known popular restaurant" is an exaggeration, no one has ever mentioned it and unlikely to have been popular as it opened during Covid

Perhaps he should have said, "selling due to ill health."  ????

21 hours ago, HashBrownHarry said:

I don't believe that figure can be correct.

Large fridge and freezer in the kitchen.  Large drink fridge/s in the restaurant.  These are on 27/7.  Running in a hot climate.  

Possible electric cooking, and water heater.

Air conditioning would also be expensive to run during opening hours. 

Lighting not so expensive, but also on during opening hours.  

Opening hours 2pm to 11pm.  Open an hour early for prep, and close an hour later for clean up.  That's 11 hours a day, but fridges and freezers running constantly.  

You don't think it's possible?

The one at Soi Nana barely had a pulse, last night.  I actually expected a more conciliatory attitude on Sukhumvit. but it is more of the same mercenary slow death, without winners. I did a 59 thb small tiger on Soi 7, and they sure do make the 711 girls look like Rhodes Scholars.