Is the closure of your favorite bar or restaurant imminent?

Leaver

34 minutes ago, jacko45k said:

I tend to agree, the owner being quite astute and successful.

A guy who has made good profits for 13 years, and has continued to pay his staff since the bar closed.

Seems a no brainer to re-open as soon as he can to me.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

It's reliant on tourists, expats alone won't keep it going, so why open now and incur all the costs with few customers? 

Every one loves the Beer Garden....Thais, Expats, Tourist.....It will actually be one of the few bars that do turn a profit now...

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, redwood1 said:

Every one loves the Beer Garden....Thais, Expats, Tourist.....It will actually be one of the few bars that do turn a profit now...

Good i hope it does, i also hope the gogos open soon, they are an important part of the Pattaya fun for me

On 6/6/2020 at 11:21 PM, henry2109 said:

Your thinking is flawed. A 20 % rent increase does not result in an increase of the beer price by 20 %. 

The rent cost is just a part of total cost. Biggest cost may be purchase of goods and salaries. If rent cost were 25 % of total cost, the price increase in your exemple would be 5 Baht, from 100 Baht to 105 Baht.

It was just a basic example, to illustrate how a greedy Thai landlord who sees a successful business in one of his properties, raises the rent, because he thinks the tenant can pay and / or the customers will pay more.

in general, I would say beer is the biggest selling commodity in bars in Pattaya, therefore, beer prices are most likely to cop the brunt of larger rent increases.  

Different bars have different pricing structures, however, with a lot of girls now working off apps (pre virus) lady drinks and bar fines are becoming a think of the past, probably because their prices have been raised so high in order for the business to survive, so that just leaves increasing the price of alcohol, which predominately is beer. 

On 6/8/2020 at 1:55 PM, kinyara said:

I never realised the Beer Garden published their annual financial statements on the forums. 

I would hate to see the size of various "tea money" payments in those financial statements. 

On 6/8/2020 at 5:31 AM, TaaSaparot said:

Pattaya Beer Garden had staff in yesterday working on the place, so they are ready to open when the alcohol serving ban is lifted.

Was sent these today ..

100478837_2713690522192918_2442348520263385088_n.jpg.b4aee4801bdd597400bcf34f3768c676.jpg

82195533_2713690555526248_4615811115471863808_n.jpg.a95f6dcc014a6ecb60d26766a96ba716.jpg

Edited by TaaSaparot

From government statements today sounds like an outside chance we might be able to enjoy a beer again in establishments of the restaurant variety from the 15th. I'd be happy with that since 3 of my 4 regular favourites would fall under that category and shouldn't have difficulty complying with social distancing seating arrangements. We'll hear for sure Friday I guess. 

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

From government statements today sounds like an outside chance we might be able to enjoy a beer again in establishments of the restaurant variety from the 15th. I'd be happy with that since 3 of my 4 regular favourites would fall under that category and shouldn't have difficulty complying with social distancing seating arrangements. We'll hear for sure Friday I guess. 

Yes, looks like it.

But as before, the problem for the authorities will be too many people gathering to drink in restaurants, instead of enjoying an alcohol beverage with their meal.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, kinyara said:

I watched the English language covid update yesterday as I usually do.Sounded a bit ominous really in relation to bars and entertainment in that speaker mentioned staff will not be permitted to encourage sales of alcohol to patrons in restraunts, and zero hint of bars etc opening at all?

5 hours ago, TaaSaparot said:

Yes, looks like it.

But as before, the problem for the authorities will be too many people gathering to drink in restaurants, instead of enjoying an alcohol beverage with their meal.

Yes true, I think the only difference in the governments favour in relation to Pattaya now is that there are a lot less customers around as we come out of Covid than there was when they banned alcohol in restaurants going into Covid. There were still a lot of tourists then whereas now they are virtuallly invisible.  Perhaps a natural spreading of potential customers around outlets with visiting local tourists preferring different style restaurants to resident expat drinkers. The vast majority of transient workers I'd say are in the straight bar/entertainment venues and likely to remain at home until they are allowed to reopen. Restaurants are also ideally suited to conform to distancing requirements and were doing it  in the places I visited. I think it's a good test case for at least a couple of weeks if not longer before the wholly alcohol themed venues reopen. 

If you look at certainly Jomtien beach from what I've seen walking along since they reopened it hasn't seemed to bother them that groups of people are sitting together drinking alcohol. 

1 hour ago, Olmate said:

I watched the English language covid update yesterday as I usually do.Sounded a bit ominous really in relation to bars and entertainment in that speaker mentioned staff will not be permitted to encourage sales of alcohol to patrons in restraunts, and zero hint of bars etc opening at all?

I don't think patrons will need any encouragement from the staff. I may be over optimistic but without the wider entertainment sector open and the fact customers are residents and not partying holiday makers, I think drinking patterns may be a lot more relaxed and subdued. 

21 minutes ago, kinyara said:

I don't think patrons will need any encouragement from the staff. I may be over optimistic but without the wider entertainment sector open and the fact customers are residents and not partying holiday makers, I think drinking patterns may be a lot more relaxed and subdued. 

Subdued for sure.How long can one sit and extend a meal to have a few beers and what’s that gonna be like for solo drinkers. Will the owner call time gents? If not  got a feeling bars are gone.  And this is the New Normal!

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Olmate said:

Subdued for sure.How long can one sit and extend a meal to have a few beers and what’s that gonna be like for solo drinkers. Will the owner call time gents? If not  got a feeling bars are gone.  And this is the New Normal!

Pattaya's certainly the home of salad dodgers so hot food could be trickier, just leave the empty plates in case of a police swoop, but then they don't have the manpower to police everywhere. 

Agree with you on the bars at least another 15 days of shutdown is more bad news for them and their staff and what kind of set up are they looking at when allowed to open. Patience is a virtue here for sure. 

4 hours ago, kinyara said:

Yep . Don’t matter if the bars open or not there won’t be any tourists until at least mid July/August at best . Be wasting their time opening them back up .

3 hours ago, chrisandsu said:

Yep . Don’t matter if the bars open or not there won’t be any tourists until at least mid July/August at best . Be wasting their time opening them back up .

This is why I think the government is in no hurry to allow them to open. 

There's no tourists, so no money to be made, so why risk the virus spreading through the elderly expat population, which would create negative publicity for Pattaya. 

20 hours ago, kinyara said:

the only new cases for weeks now are returning Thais from overseas who are going into quarantine on arrival.

Don't believe everything in the media.

but it's the continued caveats that they keep introducing when things open up that seems overbearing and not backed up by any adverse data.

You have lived here long enough to know they make it up as they go along. 

A lot more jobs in the hospitality sector are at risk by the continued controlling nature of this government

A lot of hospitality jobs were at risk even pre virus.  It was the quietest high season for westerners I had ever seen. 

• Haha 2

Haven't died yet. I'm guessing, having a bit of a lung problem over the last month or two, I'm probably immune. Yeah, going to Pattaya wasn't probably the best idea. Get it over with I say, it's gonna hit you one way or another, 

• Sad 1

Nice to find a new favourite, been enjoying sundowner beers the last couple of weeks at the Jomtien Night Market up until earlier this week when they finally stopped the sale of alcohol. Went along tonight and just had some tasty food from a couple of the stalls and a couple of softies. The Mexican stall is my favourite. Never been inclined to go there in high season when it's been more Russian tourist centric, but without the loud music and with the relaxed vibe now it really is a nice venue at the moment. Should get a good 5 month run in its current format I guess. 

Looks like another busy local tourist weekend in Jomtien again judging by how busy the beach stretch is tonight. I honestly didn't expect it to pick up so quickly. 

1 hour ago, kinyara said:

Nice to find a new favourite, been enjoying sundowner beers the last couple of weeks at the Jomtien Night Market up until earlier this week when they finally stopped the sale of alcohol. Went along tonight and just had some tasty food from a couple of the stalls and a couple of softies. The Mexican stall is my favourite. Never been inclined to go there in high season when it's been more Russian tourist centric, but without the loud music and with the relaxed vibe now it really is a nice venue at the moment. Should get a good 5 month run in its current format I guess. 

Looks like another busy local tourist weekend in Jomtien again judging by how busy the beach stretch is tonight. I honestly didn't expect it to pick up so quickly. 

You make a good point, kinyara.  When the virus chaos has come to pass, new favorites will be found to replace the old.  Interesting times ahead.